Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 03:25:54 am

Author Topic: My journey trying to survive the many challenges of QCE  (Read 5807 times)

prini

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +5
My journey trying to survive the many challenges of QCE
« on: March 14, 2020, 11:24:25 pm »
+11
Hi  :),

I never thought I'd be doing this but after seeing other people posting their journey I felt inspired to write about my own. I am in year 12. The final year. The year where everything counts. I've always dreaded going into this year. The stress, the countless sleepless nights...it's really a lot. I'm honestly really struggling with all of it.

Last term, the start of unit 3, was CRAZY. I did quite well in English (24/25) and I was okay in my 2 data tests (both 9/10 <--- lost marks because of silly mistakes  :'() but my digital solutions and maths methods results were terrible.

My emotional state is quite bad and it greatly affects my studies. I'm finding that now I would rather hand in nothing then something I worked hard on. I lost 2 QCE points over units 1 & 2 (so now have 22 pts) and am on the verge of losing another one so I'm pretty scared.

I have a maths methods exam, a digital solutions assignment and an english oral due this term. I feel most confident in my english as it's on track and is turning out quite well. Unfortunately, I can't say the same for the other two  :'( With digital solutions I know I can do well in it but I'm too scared to try or ask others for help. I really can't find enough time to practice for maths. I'm finding it quite difficult now as I didn't really do my homework in younger yr levels so my foundation knowledge in quite low.

Early next term i'll be handing in my chemistry and biology student experiments and will sit my french exam. The french exam is going to be SO TOUGH. We'll be tested on ALL 4 skills - reading, writing, listening and my "favorite" speaking. I'm really nervous about the speaking component of the exam. In previous speaking exams I've gotten so scared and nervous that I'll purposefully give short responses just to leave the room.

I haven't really told this to anyone IRL but I really want to take a gap year after finishing this year. I just have no idea what I want to do or what areas I'm interested in.

I must say it feels quite relieving to be able to share my QCE ATAR experience here. To anyone reading this who's in the same yr12 boat I understand. It's really scary being the first cabs off the rank but we can do it! Hopefully next time I write will be more positive than this ;D

Bye
Until next time :)

JerryMouse2019

• MOTM: NOV 19
  • Forum Obsessive
  • I love Spider-Man :)
  • Respect: +113
Re: My journey trying to survive the many challenges of QCE
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2020, 10:07:44 pm »
+2
Good luck with everything in year 12 :)
« Last Edit: March 16, 2020, 10:23:33 pm by JerryMouse2019 »
QCE Class of 2021: English | General Maths | Business | Economics | Legal Studies | Digital Solutions

“Inaction breeds doubt and fear. Action breeds confidence and courage. If you want to conquer fear, do not sit home and think about it. Go out and get busy” – Dale Carnegie

prini

• Adventurer
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2020, 08:38:40 pm »
+1
Good luck with everything in year 12 :)
Thanks JerryMouse  :)
Good luck with your school year too.

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +856
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2020, 10:35:51 pm »
+1
Great to meet you prini! I'm a Victorian student; can you explain to me what the QCE point are and how/why you lose them?

Also, a gap year sounds very exciting! Do keep us updated with your school journey and any potential plans!

JerryMouse2019

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2020, 12:40:43 am »
Hi laura_,

Check this link out:

https://myqce.qcaa.qld.edu.au/about-the-qce.html

It explains how points are awarded in the QCE system.

Kind Regards
JerryMouse2019
QCE Class of 2021: English | General Maths | Business | Economics | Legal Studies | Digital Solutions

“Inaction breeds doubt and fear. Action breeds confidence and courage. If you want to conquer fear, do not sit home and think about it. Go out and get busy” – Dale Carnegie

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2020, 07:11:36 am »
+2
Hey!

Welcome to the forums :)

9/10 sounds better than ok! Definitely can still be frustrating to lose those marks but you did well :)
In future, slowing down, highlighting/underlining key terms in questions, or doing more practice and building a log of mistakes can help cut down the amount of silly errors you make.

Luckily maths is a subject with heaps of resources so if there's anything you want help on you should be able to access that relatively easily. I'm not sure about digital solutions in that respect since I'm unfamiliar with its syllabus.

Is there anything in particular you want to do in your gap year?

Best of luck for year 12!

prini

• Adventurer
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2020, 02:05:19 pm »
+4
Great to meet you prini! I'm a Victorian student; can you explain to me what the QCE point are and how/why you lose them?

Also, a gap year sounds very exciting! Do keep us updated with your school journey and any potential plans!
Hi Laura!  :)
Sorry about the late reply.
The link JerryMouse replied with is pretty good at explaining it.
Basically to graduate high school you need to achieve a QCE certificate.
 A QCE certificate means that you have achieved at least 20 QCE points throughout years 11 and 12.
Core subjects (general and applied subjects), university subjects, TAFE courses, diplomas and other certificate courses (e.g. first aid) can all contribute to QCE points.
With core subjects (e.g. biology and business) you earn a 1 QCE point with each unit (1-4) that you pass in.
I really like this document by the QCAA as it includes specific examples of a student's grades and how they contribute to their total accrued QCE points: https://www.qcaa.qld.edu.au/downloads/senior/snr_new_assess_te_qce_factsheet_core.pdf
I have 22 points at the moment so I'm doing okay but I'm just scared that I'll lose some more over the course of the year. I can do other courses to obtain some but I would like to rely on myself first to be able to achieve it before using those methods.
I lost them because I didn't pass two units in two of my subjects  :(
Yes I will definitely try to keep everyone updated about my year 12 journey!  :D Thanks for the reply  :)
--
@Bri MT
Thanks for the tips!  :) I never really thought about doing a log of mistakes...I'll definitely have to try that one out ;)
I probably won't end up doing a gap year  :(. I really just want to relax and have more time to think about what to do in uni before jumping right in and wasting money on a course. I would love to do volunteer work <--- I think that's the only thing I'm really passionate about along with one day being a CEO of like a UX design company (which will probably never happen) xD I already do some volunteering outside of school and I really enjoy it.

JerryMouse2019

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2020, 04:15:59 pm »
+2
Hey prini,

I just wanted to mention as well that the myQCE website is the website where you will find out your final results and your ATAR at the end of the year.

Kind Regards
JerryMouse2019

prini

• Adventurer
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2020, 07:51:17 pm »
+2
Hey prini,

I just wanted to mention as well that the myQCE website is the website where you will find out your final results and your ATAR at the end of the year.

Kind Regards
JerryMouse2019

oooooooh :O I didn't know that. Thanks for letting me know JerryMouse  :D

prini

• Adventurer
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2020, 01:10:28 pm »
+5
Hi guys :)

Here's a small update on what's been going on since my first post.
Due to everything going on with covid 19 we've gotten this week off (student free days) and thus most of my assignments and exams have been pushed back. I did my english oral last week. It was a complete train wreck  :( It's been a week and I still haven't got over how badly I did. I'm usually quite good with public speaking but I got really nervous as I admit I did put a lot of pressure on myself to get a 24 or 25 in it. I'm just really bad at english exams so I need to bank the highest marks I can before the external. I also handed in my bio assignment draft. I finished about 1/2 of it...I just wasn't clear on something with my group and was to nervous to ask them. I know now so I am making some progress on it.

The earliest assignment due dates and exam schedules is week 3 term 3 (I don't know if this is for every school in QLD). So I have more time to finish my chem draft and digital solutions final  :) However, that also means more time to procrastinate and stressing on how to get them perfect  :(. My maths exam is next term. In order to pass unit 3 I need to get at least a 9 or 10/15 (so like a C+/B-) which I'm quite scared about  :'(. I'm achieving okay in class but everything's different when you're doing an exam.

The QCAA has said that one summative internal assessments for both General and Applied subjects will be removed from the assessment requirements for senior students leaving 2 internal and 1 external. They can't really change the weighting of the external but they probably will change the weighting of some of the internal assessments/exams. I just hope the weighting is in my favour.

To any other year 12's how are you coping with all the changes?
I honestly wish I could just redo 2020...delete it out of existence
I hope everyone reading is doing okay amidst the crazy covid-19 outbreak.
How's everyone doing with the quarantine?
I've just been soooo unproductive. I've caught up on all the dramas I've missed which was good, have "successfully" poached an egg and got my father to trim my hair out of sheer boredom but otherwise have literally been doing nothing. NOTE: It wasn't an extreme trim or anything I just wanted something to change about me xD

Good luck with everything  :D
Stay safe

Until next time
Prini

P.S For any one who's in yr 12 and does maths methods there's a pretty good QCAA unit 3 prac exam (tech free and tech active) with solutions. It really helps to see how you're doing in the subject and where the marks go.

JerryMouse2019

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2020, 03:54:57 pm »
+2
Hi Prini,

In one of your previous posts you mentioned that you wanted to do a gap year but that you were not expecting yourself to do one.

If you decide in the end that you just want to take some time off, then you could just simply start uni in semester 2 (which starts in July). Most degrees can be started in July (however medicine is an exception).

This would allow you to give yourself six months off.

In these six months, you could do some gap year activities that last 2-3 months or more.

Keep in mind though that due to the duration of these activities they usually cost a lot of money.

There is an extensive list of activities that you can check out here:

https://atarnotes.com/forum/index.php?topic=30130.0

https://year13.com.au/search/gap-years

Good luck with everything,

Kind Regards
JerryMouse2019

« Last Edit: April 01, 2020, 04:00:14 pm by JerryMouse2019 »

prini

• Adventurer
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2020, 07:35:42 pm »
+1
Hi Prini,

In one of your previous posts you mentioned that you wanted to do a gap year but that you were not expecting yourself to do one.

If you decide in the end that you just want to take some time off, then you could just simply start uni in semester 2 (which starts in July). Most degrees can be started in July (however medicine is an exception).

This would allow you to give yourself six months off.

In these six months, you could do some gap year activities that last 2-3 months or more.

Keep in mind though that due to the duration of these activities they usually cost a lot of money.

There is an extensive list of activities that you can check out here:

https://atarnotes.com/forum/index.php?topic=30130.0

https://year13.com.au/search/gap-years

Good luck with everything,

Kind Regards
JerryMouse2019

Thanks for the reply Jerry Mouse :)
Yeah I've been thinking about starting in semester 2.
I already volunteer outside of school so I was thinking of doing that more if I did do a gap year/break.
Thank you though for linking those lists of activities  :D

Appreciate it  :)

Kind regards
Prini