Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 01:34:39 am

Author Topic: How to Get a Band 6 in HSC Mathematics  (Read 52926 times)  Share 

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
Re: How to Get a Band 6 in HSC Mathematics
« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2017, 10:43:33 pm »
+1
Hi :) I know this is an old thread but I have a question regarding the advice about reading over notes the morning of the exam: given that this year's exam is a 2-5pm exam, what's the best way to prepare the morning before the exam? Because realistically there's plenty of time to revise or even do a practice paper then, but I'm concerned that my (somewhat limited  :P) critical thinking skills will be dead and gone by about 2:30 if I'm applying myself all morning? Afternoon exams are such a hassle!
Anything that does not involve physically writing down answers to past papers.

Because that is a huge trap. Doing past papers on the morning of an afternoon exam will most certainly wear you out.

Ordinarily, you should not be dealing with past papers altogether. If you insist on touching past papers, the furthest you should go for is just skimming over the easy questions and reading the solutions to the hard ones. If anything, it's better to focus on keeping calm, or if you'd rather be productive then just revising key formulas and methods/techniques to solving problems. Go over anything that doesn't involve questions (e,g, a list of silly mistakes to avoid in the exam) and do not waste brainpower.

taylorlucy

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #31 on: October 19, 2017, 09:44:16 am »
Anything that does not involve physically writing down answers to past papers.

Because that is a huge trap. Doing past papers on the morning of an afternoon exam will most certainly wear you out.

Ordinarily, you should not be dealing with past papers altogether. If you insist on touching past papers, the furthest you should go for is just skimming over the easy questions and reading the solutions to the hard ones. If anything, it's better to focus on keeping calm, or if you'd rather be productive then just revising key formulas and methods/techniques to solving problems. Go over anything that doesn't involve questions (e,g, a list of silly mistakes to avoid in the exam) and do not waste brainpower.

Thank you!!
2017 HSC: Advanced English / Extension 1 English / Mathematics / Extension 1 Maths / Biology / Visual Arts

ATAR: 93.55

key to success

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2017, 08:36:10 pm »
Hello, just generally, roughly what hsc exam mark would I need to get a band 6?
HSC 2018
Physics, Chemistry, Economics, Extension 1 Mathematics, Advanced English, Studies of religion (2017), Advanced Mathematics (2017)

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2017, 08:43:54 pm »

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #34 on: October 24, 2017, 05:48:41 pm »
+1
How do you factorise (8) - (x to the power of three)?

Difference of cubes!

Feel free to ask any other questions here ;D

key to success

• Trailblazer
« Reply #35 on: October 24, 2017, 08:50:46 pm »
Hi guys, I did the HSC for acclerated Maths 2u yesterday but don't think I have done well enough to get myself a band 6 (loan repayments question, i screwed up and the last question). The obvious choice in my situation seems to be that I repeat it next year but with my other subjects- Physics, chemistry, economics, extension 1 maths, advanced english and studies of religion, I am not sure whether repeating to have a shot at a better mark would be worth while. By the way, I am aiming for an atar of 99+. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
HSC 2018
Physics, Chemistry, Economics, Extension 1 Mathematics, Advanced English, Studies of religion (2017), Advanced Mathematics (2017)

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #36 on: October 24, 2017, 09:06:05 pm »
+3
Hi guys, I did the HSC for acclerated Maths 2u yesterday but don't think I have done well enough to get myself a band 6 (loan repayments question, i screwed up and the last question). The obvious choice in my situation seems to be that I repeat it next year but with my other subjects- Physics, chemistry, economics, extension 1 maths, advanced english and studies of religion, I am not sure whether repeating to have a shot at a better mark would be worth while. By the way, I am aiming for an atar of 99+. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
You can always just sit the assessment tasks in case you do want to repeat, and make a more informed decision after you actually receive your final mark for your performance this year.

When it comes to acceleration, both repeating and not repeating have their own benefits. It depends on your situation as to which path you should take.

mxrylyn

• Forum Regular
« Reply #37 on: November 03, 2017, 12:57:29 pm »
My substitute teacher just told me that if I do 4 unit maths, then I don't have to do the 2 unit HSC. Is this true!

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #38 on: November 03, 2017, 01:02:24 pm »
+1

My substitute teacher just told me that if I do 4 unit maths, then I don't have to do the 2 unit HSC. Is this true!
You will still be taught the content.

But then it becomes assumed knowledge. So yes in that you won’t have to sit the actual assessment tasks.

mxrylyn

• Forum Regular
« Reply #39 on: November 03, 2017, 01:35:02 pm »
You will still be taught the content.

But then it becomes assumed knowledge. So yes in that you won’t have to sit the actual assessment tasks.

So do my marks get estimated? Can I still do them for fun if I wan to? Do I sit the 2 unit HSC?

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #40 on: November 03, 2017, 02:32:26 pm »
+1
So do my marks get estimated? Can I still do them for fun if I wan to? Do I sit the 2 unit HSC?

Your marks for 2U don't exist anymore, instead:

- You get 2 units worth of your marks from 4U
- You get 2 units worth of your marks from 3U, instead of the typical one

You don't sit your 2U HSC Exam, because you aren't technically doing that course anymore. You graduate out of it. But, you still need the content to do 3U/4U ;D

But I'm sure your school would let you sit 2U assessment tasks for fun if you wanted to, or give you copies after the fact ;D

CyberScopes

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +7
« Reply #41 on: November 03, 2017, 06:26:12 pm »
+1

Trust me when I say when you reach the HSC, you won't want to do any extra exams for fun ;D
Want to track your WAM, organise your marks and analyse your progress throughout your degree, all on your phone?
Get Unicore now: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.atude.mywam

2017 ATAR: 93.10
Mathematics 2U | Mathematics Extension 1 | Advanced English | Physics | IPT | Economics
Software Engineering at UNSW

LochNess Monster

• Forum Regular
  • I speak Chinglish!
  • Respect: +12
« Reply #42 on: January 19, 2018, 08:56:21 am »
+1
How did you balance studying for 2u Maths with other core-heavy subjects (eg. Legal)?
ATAR: 89.55
⸜( ˙ ˘ ˙)/ ・゚☆✧ Sometimes wrong numbers are the right numbers ~ Cecelia Ahern

☽ “But I, being poor, have only my dreams;
I have spread my dreams under your feet;
Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.” - Yeats

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #43 on: January 20, 2018, 11:21:25 am »
+1
How did you balance studying for 2u Maths with other core-heavy subjects (eg. Legal)?

Hi! I was always pretty organised and made sure I put work towards all my subjects in a given week  - This guide goes through how I set up my study timetable and how I used it to allocate time to different subjects. I think you need to find the right ratio for you - Normally I recommend people spend more time on the subjects they struggle with ;D

LochNess Monster

• Forum Regular
  • I speak Chinglish!
  • Respect: +12
« Reply #44 on: January 23, 2018, 09:43:03 pm »
+1
Dear Jamon,

Thank you for the quick reply!

Haha...I guess I need to spend LOTS more time on maths then ;P
(So sad...was a past accelerate like key to success .... decided to repeat because didn't get Band 6)

second time round is actually much more relaxing and i'm having fun !

weird. guess the pressure in accelerate wasn't for me. I liked it but couldn't keep up enough cause i'm a slow learner. what a paradox 

but super happy with where I am right now.

ONE YEAR LEFT omigoodness. help. let the year be over! now, please!?....
ATAR: 89.55
⸜( ˙ ˘ ˙)/ ・゚☆✧ Sometimes wrong numbers are the right numbers ~ Cecelia Ahern

☽ “But I, being poor, have only my dreams;
I have spread my dreams under your feet;
Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.” - Yeats