Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 06:02:01 am

Author Topic: VCE Psychology Question Thread!  (Read 473451 times)  Share 

matthewzz

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Re: VCE Psychology Question Thread!
« Reply #1275 on: October 23, 2018, 05:36:11 pm »
+1
Validity: is whether the variables in a research actually/acurately represent the variables that they are said to measure.
for example: measuring cortisol levels in the blood stream is a valid measure of stress, however measuring IQ results to represent memory would be invalid.

in psych, everything we study is a psychological construct (it can't be directly measures), so we need valid measures of the effects of this construct.

to go into more detail validity can be categorized as internal or external validity.

Internal valditity is whether there is a causal relationship between the IV and DV, that is whether the iV actually caused the change in the DV. So if you want to discuss validity in research scenario always discuss the effects of exraneous/confounding variables, as they cast doubt on whether the IV caused the change in the DV and thus whether the research is internally valid. internal validity also impacts whether you can draw a conclusion (for e.g/ a valid conclusion cannot be drawn due to the presence of X confounding variable)

external validity is whether the results can be generalised to an external setting or wider population. For this you'll have to discuss whether the sample is representitive and whether the opperationalisation of the variables is valid. For example, an experiment that takes place in a sleep lab is not externally valid, because of the dissonance between natrual settings and those in the experiment. Moreover, If i'm measuring memory through IQ scores, I can't generalise my findings to suggest that my IV can be used to improve students memories in the classroom.

reliability is the liklihood that replicating the experiment will provide simillar/same results. If something is reliable the findings can be generalised to the wider population due to their consistency. In the exam, you can discuss reliability if you are given a standard deviation, if the s.dev is high the experiment is likely unreliable due to the variability between participants. There is an overlap between reliability and external validity. Moreover if something is more objective its more likely to be reliable than a subjective measure.

It is possible to have an experiment that is invalid but reliable, but not vice versa.

Also,

Glutamate plays an important role in synaptic plasticity:
synaptic plasticity is the ability of connections between neurons to change in strength. Synaptic plasticity plays a fundamental role in learning and memory because this feature of the nervous system enables the learning of new memories. Two key processes that occur as a result of synaptic plasticity are LTP and LTD. They take place throughout the brain, but to a greater extent in the cerebral cortext and the hippocampus, at glutamageric synapses. Glutamageric synapses are synaptic connections whereby glutamate is released and glutamate receptors uptake this neurotransmitter. Therefore glutamate plays a role in LTP and LTD by modulating the excitability properties of neurons. LTP is when the same group of neurons fire together simultaneously, glutamate is released, and its excitatory effect enables information to travel along these neural pathways, as a result neurons along such pathways become more sensitive to glutamate, due to the increased sensitivity and number of glutamate receptors. Thus glutamate makes neurons along this pathway more excitable, and thus enhances their efficiency in transmitting info. (obviously LTD is the opposite)

hope this helped :)

Amazing! thanks so much

anon101

• Forum Regular
« Reply #1276 on: October 23, 2018, 07:23:51 pm »
Hey guys, I'm new to the forum so I'm not sure if I should post a long list of questions, but anyway I'd be extremely appreciative if anyone could help me out here to explain to me whether for these Checkpoints questions I would get some marks or not in these scenarios. Thanks a load for any guidance you people provide!!!

66. Briefly describe how the sympathetic nervous system generates the fight-flight-freeze response. In your answer you must refer to any neurotransmitters involved.
My Answer:
•   Basically, just described the SAM system (isn’t this what causes the physiological stress response?)
Their Answer:
The SA system releases two substances noradrenaline (1 mark) and adrenaline (1 mark) when the organism senses a threat (1 mark). These substances prime the body for a brief burst of physical activity (1 mark) by directing blood and energy (glucose) from the tissues (1 mark) to the heart, lungs, muscles and brain (1 mark).

67. Distinguish between a stressor and a stress response.
My Answer:
•   Stressors are any stimuli which can cause stress
•   Stress is a physiological and psychological state of arousal
Their Answer:
•   Stressor – a change in the immediate environment that affects an organism
•   Stress response – a change in the organism in response to the stressor

75. List two strengths and two limitations of Selye’s General Adaptation Syndrome.
My Answer:
•   Strengths: Explains physiological aspect of stress
•   Disadvantage: Doesn’t account for psychological aspect of stress, used rats in their experimentation (so results can’t be generalised)
Their Answer:
•   Strengths:
o   That the stress response occurs in states
o   That resistance to a stressor occurs in the short term
o   That prolonged or severe stressor leads to the organism no longer adapting and becoming exhausted
•   Limitations:
o   Different stressors do not lead to non-specific responses
o   Different disorders are associated with high stress levels
o   The adrenal cortex and cortisol (as deemed primarily important as claimed by Selye) are only one aspect of the stress response with the HPA and SAM systems interacting to regulate each other to supress the stress response

76. Cortisol is a substance secreted in response to a stressful event.
a. How long does it take for the effects of cortisol to be felt in the face of stress compared to the other stress hormones adrenaline and noradrenalin?
My Answer:
Cortisol is a slow acting stress response, however lasts for longer (unlike adrenalin and noradrenalin) (is this enough to gain marks?)
Their Answer:
•   It takes some minutes (rather than seconds) (1 mark) for a person to feel the effects of cortisol in the face of stress
•   Adrenaline and noradrenaline effects are felt immediately (within fractions of seconds) of the stressful event (1 mark)

a. Briefly explain what is meant by approach and avoidance strategies as coping mechanisms for stress
My Answer:
•   Approach strategies attempt to directly deal with a stressor, whereas avoidance indirectly by dealing with the emotions (thiis is what my teacher said, so is this still acceptable?)
Their Answer:
Approach and avoidance are terms used to describe cognitive and emotional activity (1 mark) directed either towards (approach) or away (avoidance) from a threat (1 mark)

b. List one potential benefit and one potential cost associated with each of the approach and avoidance strategies in coping with stress
My Answer:
•   Can lead to the stressor’s removal
•   Can cause further stress though
Their Answer:
•   Approach benefits:
o   Appropriate action is taken to deal with the stress
o   Allows venting of emotion and frustration
o   Acceptance, assimilation and resolution of a traumatic situation
•   Approach costs:
o   Increased distress by confronting the situation
o   Non-productive worry or emotional distress
•   Avoidance Benefits:
o   Immediate stress reduction (at least in the short term)
o   Allows for dosing (i.e. dealing with the stress progressively to avoid being overwhelmed)
o   Increased hope and courage to achieve some control over the threat
•   Avoidance Costs:
o   Interference with appropriate actions
o   Emotional numbness
o   Intrusion of threatening (stressful) material
o   Disruptive avoidance behaviours

b. Name and describe two different types of coping strategies that can be adopted according to the transactional model of stress and coping.
My Answer:
•   Problem based – dealing with trying to solve the issue (deal with stressor) (aren't problem and approach strategies the exact same?)
•   Emotion based – deal with one’s emotions (aren't emotional and avoidance strategies the exact same?)
Their Answer:
•   Problem focused (1 mark) – seeks to address the practical aspects of the stressor, or reduce it or adapt to its impact (1 mark)
•   Emotion focused (1 mark) – addresses the emotion associated with the stressor, by avoidance, denial, or though drugs and alcohol to overcome the anxiety or via psychological defence mechanisms but not addressing the stressor (1 mark)

80. Identify two strengths and two limitations of Lazarus and Folkman’s Transactional Model of Stress and Coping.
My Answer:
•   Advantages:
o   Explains psychological aspect of stress (is this just irrelavent? Or is it actually worth a mark?)
o   Accounts for people’s differences in how they interpret stress
•   Disadvantages:
o   Doesn’t account for the physiological stress response (same question as for the psychological aspect just above in advantages)
o   In reality primary and secondary appraisal have to happen simultaneously
Their Answer:
•   Strengths:
o   Focuses on psychological determinants of the stress response (not just involuntary physiological changes) which are potentially controllable
o   Acknowledges the personal nature and individuality of the stress response
o   Views stress as an interaction between the individual and the environment in which the individual plays an active, not passive, role
o   Emphasises the individual’s role in interpreting the situation from their perspective which explains variability in the stress response
o   Explains why different individuals responds in different ways to the same types of stressors
o   Explains how stressors and their circumstances can change over time through the process of re-appraisal
o   Proposes various methods for managing psychological responses to stressors
o   Provides greater understanding of the importance of different stress management strategies and programs
•   Limitations:
o   Difficulty to test experimentally due to the subjective nature, variability and complexity of individuals’ response to stressors
o   Primary and secondary appraisals can interact and/or occur simultaneously rather than follow a linear sequence, as per the model
o   There is some doubt as to whether (conscious) appraisal is actually required for a person to experience stress
o   Some individuals may be unable to cognitively label (or appraise) the factors actually causing stress for them

81. Dean had a stressful job as a police officer. He found that going on a daily 5 km jog greatly reduced his stress levels. Identify two effects of exercise on the autonomic nervous system and state how each may reduce Dean’s experience of stress.
My Answer:
Exercise may use up Deans stress hormones like cortisol. And make him more used to the stress response (this second part wasn’t part of their answer, would it be acceptable)

a. Define what is meant by the term ‘acculturative stress’.
My Answer:
The stress of adapting to a new culture
Their Answer:
A reduction in health status of the individuals (1 mark) who have to struggle to adapt to a new culture psychologically or socially (1 mark)

waldo

• Adventurer
« Reply #1277 on: October 23, 2018, 07:58:23 pm »
"the interactions between specific regions of the brain (cerebral cortex, hippocampus, amygdala and cerebellum) in the storage of long-term memories, including implicit and explicit memories"
can someone please provide me with an explanation of this dot point? i cant seem to understand it no matter how much i try :'(

rani_b

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +67
« Reply #1278 on: October 23, 2018, 08:10:46 pm »
+2

66. Briefly describe how the sympathetic nervous system generates the fight-flight-freeze response. In your answer you must refer to any neurotransmitters involved.
My Answer:
•   Basically, just described the SAM system (isn’t this what causes the physiological stress response?)
Their Answer:
The SA system releases two substances noradrenaline (1 mark) and adrenaline (1 mark) when the organism senses a threat (1 mark). These substances prime the body for a brief burst of physical activity (1 mark) by directing blood and energy (glucose) from the tissues (1 mark) to the heart, lungs, muscles and brain (1 mark).

I just had a quick look at your questions - I can't answer all them  :P but I'll start the thread off.
IMO, the marks would be allocated as such:
- The fight-fight-freeze response is activated by the sympathetic nervous system to help an organism deal with a stressful or threatening situation.
- It does this by releasing substances adrenaline and noradrenaline, which energise the body.
- For example, heart rate and breathing rate increases and non-essential functions like digestion are suppressed in order to direct energy towards the muscles.

Although the SAM pathway initiates the fight-flight reaction, it doesn't initiate the freeze reaction.

About your other questions, I think with the strengths and limitations of the GAS and transactional model, try and be more specific.
E.g. Even though it is a strength that the L+F model explain psychological response to stress, why is that good?
---> Because it accounts for...
« Last Edit: October 23, 2018, 08:17:11 pm by rani_b »
2019 ATAR: 99.85

Selling: English [50] & Lit [48] essays! PM for details.

matthewzz

• Adventurer
« Reply #1279 on: October 24, 2018, 04:17:36 pm »
Hello! Back again for another few questions if anyone can assist  :)

I'm aware of the continuum for mental health, but what are the specific characteristics to classify someone as having a mental health disorder, in comparison to a mental health problem (the ones I am aware of are length of time that symptoms have been present and atypical behaviours). Also, on the topic of mental health also, what are the problems around research with participants that have mental disorders (placebo and/or informed consent)?

Thanks!

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #1280 on: October 25, 2018, 11:13:32 am »
+4

67. I think you'd get the marks

75. You wouldn't get full marks for your response.
Your limitations seem alright, but when two strengths are asked for two need to be provided

76. I wouldn't have expeced knowing the exact timing to be required

77a Your wording is a little strange, but the idea you're trying to get at seems good. To be safe, I'd use the provided answer
b) your weakness of an approach strategy isn't explained clearly enough.        You would also need to provide a benefit and a cost for avoidance strategies.

79. Probably a good idea to havve more descriptive descriptions than what you've provided (elaborate)

80. I'd say it's a bit iffy about whether or not your first advantage would be accepted. I'd write it down if you can't think of anything else, but otherwise it would be good to use a different one

81. I doubt that the second one would be accepted (maybe if it was explained differently it could be?)

84. It's a two mark question and you've provided one (relevant) point, so you'd get one mark.

lexellcomet

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #1281 on: October 25, 2018, 04:59:27 pm »
Hi!
Does anyone know if demonstrating a phobic response is an implicit memory?
Also, if the term "unconscious response" refers to spinal reflexes, autonomic nervous system responses, or to both?

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #1282 on: October 25, 2018, 05:06:11 pm »
+4
"the interactions between specific regions of the brain (cerebral cortex, hippocampus, amygdala and cerebellum) in the storage of long-term memories, including implicit and explicit memories"
can someone please provide me with an explanation of this dot point? i cant seem to understand it no matter how much i try :'(

Hello! Back again for another few questions if anyone can assist  :)

I'm aware of the continuum for mental health, but what are the specific characteristics to classify someone as having a mental health disorder, in comparison to a mental health problem (the ones I am aware of are length of time that symptoms have been present and atypical behaviours). Also, on the topic of mental health also, what are the problems around research with participants that have mental disorders (placebo and/or informed consent)?

Thanks!

I'm uploading docs I've made to this post which I hope can help :)

Hi!
Does anyone know if demonstrating a phobic response is an implicit memory?
Also, if the term "unconscious response" refers to spinal reflexes, autonomic nervous system responses, or to both?

The demonstration of it would not be a memory, however there are conditioned memories associated with phobias.

Both are unconscious responses

fruitbowl34

• Trailblazer
« Reply #1283 on: October 25, 2018, 06:14:41 pm »
Would the 10-mark question ever be like a research methods question? (eg. write a hypothesis, design an experiment, interpret tables/graphs) also does anyone have any predictions on what the 10-mark question could be? Could it possibly be on sleep again, since last year's exam was on sleep? Thanks! :)

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #1284 on: October 25, 2018, 06:39:23 pm »
+1
Would the 10-mark question ever be like a research methods question? (eg. write a hypothesis, design an experiment, interpret tables/graphs) also does anyone have any predictions on what the 10-mark question could be? Could it possibly be on sleep again, since last year's exam was on sleep? Thanks! :)

Since we have a very limited sample size of 2 10 markers (if you count the sample exam) we cannot draw conclusions about this years 10 marker.

My guess is that it might be about mental health but there's no way to know for sure & I wouldn't recommend study plans being influenced by  that :)

lexellcomet

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #1285 on: October 26, 2018, 12:19:36 pm »
Hi guys,
According to a trial made by Lisachem, recency effect is stronger than primacy effect. Is this true or is there an error in the answers?
Thanks!

rani_b

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +67
« Reply #1286 on: October 26, 2018, 12:20:32 pm »
In the exam, you can discuss reliability if you are given a standard deviation, if the s.dev is high the experiment is likely unreliable due to the variability between participants. There is an overlap between reliability and external validity. Moreover if something is more objective its more likely to be reliable than a subjective measure.

Hey, could someone expand on this more? How is standard deviation and reliability linked?

Also, I came across a question that asked to evaluate the reliability of the results. It said "Reliability is shown due to the large sample and pre-testing of students (controls potential confounding variable) – it is representative of the university students." Isn't that external validity?
2019 ATAR: 99.85

Selling: English [50] & Lit [48] essays! PM for details.

KiNSKi01

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +9
« Reply #1287 on: October 26, 2018, 01:31:52 pm »
+4
Hey, could someone expand on this more? How is standard deviation and reliability linked?

Standard deviation refers to how spread the data is around the central value (Mean). Therefore if you have a large standard deviation this means you have a large range of variability in the results. This reduces reliability because it decreases likelihood that if experiment were to be repeated again similar results would be produced.
Furthermore, a large sd could suggest there is not a relationship between the two variables
ATAR: 98.20

'18:
Physics - 42
Psychology - 40

'19:
English Language -42
Chemistry - 40
Further Maths - 45
Maths Methods - 40

studyingg

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +14
« Reply #1288 on: October 26, 2018, 04:10:18 pm »
+3

Also, I came across a question that asked to evaluate the reliability of the results. It said "Reliability is shown due to the large sample and pre-testing of students (controls potential confounding variable) – it is representative of the university students." Isn't that external validity?

I think KiNSKi01 adressed the first part of your question really well, but I just wanted to add something to your second question. If you have a look at the key science skills there is a dot point that says something like 'explain the merit of replicating procedures and the effect of sample sizes in obtaining reliable data' So I think while sample size is related to external validitity the SD wants us to focus on large samples in relation to reliability. Furthermore, the two are related, as in something cannot be externally valid without being reliable. And controlling confounding variables (which is what a large sample size does - or attempts to do) is an important part of both validity and reliability.

studyingg

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +14
« Reply #1289 on: October 26, 2018, 04:19:53 pm »
+4
Hi guys,
According to a trial made by Lisachem, recency effect is stronger than primacy effect. Is this true or is there an error in the answers?
Thanks!
This is from last year's exam:

For responses that interpreted the question to be about the serial position curve, one mark was
awarded for noting that recall would be high/near perfect for the first words on the list (primacy
effect), providing evidence that these words had been transferred to long-term memory, and the
second mark was given for noting that recall would be high/near perfect for the last words in the list
(recency effect), consistent with the model’s proposal that these words would still be
active/rehearsed in short-term (and sensory) memory.

If we had to indicate that we knew the recency effect was stronger, i'm sure it would have been mentioned here... so don't worry too much about knowing this or including it in your responses.

but when you think about it, it probably would be stronger...i'm not sure if your teacher did the SPE with you guys in class but when we did it, most of us depicted the recency effect to a greater extent than the primacy effect.