Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 06:30:19 am

Author Topic: Owlbird's Journey!  (Read 9098 times)

Owlbird83

• BLAA 2020
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +785
Owlbird's Journey!
« on: June 06, 2019, 09:02:45 pm »
+13
Hello friends! I thought I should start a journal!

I am in year 12 this year doing Physics, Chemistry, English, Japanese, Methods. My favourite subjects are chem and physics. I did bio last year and loved how it!

Right now the only extracurricular activity I do is playing the clarinet, and I’m in the school concert band, clarinet choir and also playing in a quartet for two others doing VCE music performance. Last year I went to Japan with 6 others in the clarinet choir which was really awesome!

Actually, I forgot, I also am in the debating team. Speaking in front of people is like the worst thing and super scary, so I forced myself to join the debating team. I’m really not very good at public speaking (actually that’s a lie, I got a good score on the presenting argument sac I English last year, however, the only reason for that is because I was able to practice it a billion times before hand, and I was still nervous). I have done two debates so far, the first one went great! I was first affirmative speaker so I didn’t have to rebut or improvise or anything! The second debate was a ‘secret’ debate where we found out the topic an hour beforehand. (super weird topic: “We should stop giving gifts”) I hadn’t finished writing what I was going to say, but I thought, ‘ah it’ll be fine I know what I want to say I’ll improvise’ MISTAKE. I had run out of my script and then got stage fright and started stammering out random sentences that I’d already said and standing in silence attempting to form coherent thoughts in my mind. But I was proud of myself and I know the next time I do it it’ll be a fraction less scary and it was a great chance to improve my confidence. Ooh yes, I’m one of those people, the annoyingly optimistic people who attempt to be super positive most of the time.

Off topic, but sort of related, last year I really disliked English and my grades decreased along with my enjoyment, but this year I decided to do the ‘fake it till you make it’ thing where you pretend to love English, so whenever I wanted to complain I’d always say ‘I love English I’m so excited’, and now I actually really like it. (It could be just having a great teacher this year though). But also your brain can be easy to deceive so I try to say I’m excited about SACs and stuff and I think it makes me sort of excited, (but I could just be a nerd and like them anyway). Also, unpopular opinion, but I’m sort of excited for the GAT.  .  .     Is anyone still here? But multiple choice isn’t that bad and is sort of fun. Also I feel like it sort of unites the cohort, because everyone in the state is all suffering enjoying the same test all at once and there’s all the memes too! I have had a lot SACs these last two weeks, (everyone here probably has too), but I feel like everyone most people in my year level are feeling sort of more bonded, (or maybe I’m overthinking it), but I have definitely spoken to more different people than I normally do as we have all shared a common enemy (VCAA) purpose and goal. I just googled it and it says in times of disaster people become more friendly and the shared stress leads to cooperative behaviour. Cool!
Gap year

I am hoping to do a gap year in the Navy next year. I have done the initial stage of the application process (the YOU session), and next I need to do the assessment day which includes a medical examination, psychological interview, and a job interview. I am really excited for it and I hope I get in because I am still undecided on what I want to do in the future. Also I think it would help with personal growth and make me more independent and confident and build leadership skills. I originally wanted to do the helicopter pilot gap year, but I found out recently that I couldn’t, because I have a history of asthma, so my preferences are now maritime warfare officer, marine engineer and electronics engineer.

Goals to improve people skills
Right now people have described me ‘nice’ and ‘polite’ and I’d also say I am shy and more of a listener and passive person. I really want to improve my confidence and assertiveness because they are really important life skills. In the vast majority of jobs the academic side is probably only half of it (I think), the social/people skills are also super important. Like, you might be super suitable for a job but how will the employers know that if you can’t communicate that to them in an interview. So along with pushing myself to achieve the best study scores I can get, I also want to become the best person I can be in terms of people skills. I would describe myself as empathetic and also friendly, but also I think some of that friendliness that I really want to exude doesn’t come across because I feel too awkward trying to start a conversation and then I get nervous, I might seem standoffish or unfriendly. I really admire the people who are just able to make everyone around them feel comfortable and at ease and can start conversations with anyone. By the end of the year I really want to become more charismatic and better at interacting with people. I have read books like ‘The Charisma Myth’ and ‘Captivate’, I recommend them, they’re really interesting. Also, I give off an introverted vibe, but I actually really enjoy being around other people and would label myself as an extravert internally. Also, I am an overthinker. I really enjoy psychology (not the subject, just in general) and also like behavioural science stuff, its really cool to read about and like notice like the social interactions of humans haha. I think my personally would suit a job like a psychologist or something, that would be cool, but I don’t know if I would be able to deal with it mentally or emotionally. My dream job would be to be an inspirational speaker, that would be awesome! I am thinking probably I might do a bachelor of science though and so something sciency in the future. I was also considering engineering, but I sort of don’t know if I’d like to work as an engineer, as I am finding it hard to study for methods, I love physics though. If I do the ADF gap year and enjoy it, I might end up going to ADFA and doing engineering.

Subjects
Math Methods: I finished the 4 period SAC today, the first two components were fine but I didn’t do too well on the last two, they were hard. I have always been a more mathsy person than an English person, so I’m hoping to get a 40 in methods. I am in the accelarated maths class, which I’ve have for 4 years with the same teacher and I’ve been in my teachers ‘list of 40s’, but also earlier in the year I feel like I might have dropped off the list after getting a gasp 48% on a test, because honestly I think this year I really have been neglecting methods. I find it the hardest subject to study for.

English: I am really liking English this year and am trying hard, and I have a fabulous teacher. I was hoping to get over 30 at the start of the year but now I’m aiming for a 37.

Japanese: Yes, I am one of those annoying half japanese kids who get high marks without appearing to do much work (I am though). My dad is Japanese so I have grown up speaking it. Fun fact: he pretended he couldn’t speak English when I was little(and I believed him) so I always had to speak to him in Japanese. However I really needed to learn all the writing stuff, because I didn’t really know how to write, but I’ve caught up now. I’m aiming for a 40.

Physics: Probably my favourite subject. I really like it, and my teacher’s great and I have gotten (equal) top of the cohort for the last two SACs. Hopefully I can get a 40.

Chemistry: Hard but fun. We have tonnes of smart people in my cohort so its really competitive for SACs. For the first SAC I got the top mark, but for the second I didn’t do that well, and the 3rd I did on Tuesday and it was pretty hard. Aiming for 40, but that might be too high.

I also need to improve my fitness to pass the navy fitness test, which includes situps which are fine, a beep test which I should be okay with and pushups which I cannot yet do. But also, if I get in there will be a lot of fitness training , so I want to be as fit as possible. Right now I have started doing yoga from YouTube (‘Yoga with Adriene’-I recommend!) also I have tried to run around the block as well.

If you’ve seen my sewing thread, you probably know I like sewing! I want to improve to the point I can make all kinds of clothes.

I enjoy reading, although I feel guilty as I have barely read much this year, so I really want to read more books!

Thanks for reading my rambling! I hope it was somewhat enjoyable, it was actually really fun to just write whatever came to mind. Goodnight!!

From Sarah!  ;)

Don't forget to like and subscribe and leave a comment below!
2018: Biology
2019: Chemistry, Physics, Math Methods, English, Japanese
2020: Bachelor of Psychology (Monash)

Snow Leopard

• MOTM: SEP 19
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +196
Re: Owlbird's Journey!
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2019, 09:27:05 pm »
+1
Is it hard to do a language in Year 12?

katie,rinos

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1151
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2019, 09:35:43 pm »
+2
Right now the only extracurricular activity I do is playing the clarinet, and I’m in the school concert band, clarinet choir and also playing in a quartet for two others doing VCE music performance. Last year I went to Japan with 6 others in the clarinet choir which was really awesome!

You play the clarinet!!!!  (same!) ;D
Are you learning any pieces at the moment? What grade are you up to? Your Japan trip sounds amazing! :)

What are your favourite books?
Class of 2017 (Year 12): Advanced English, General Maths, Legal Studies, Music 1, Ancient History, History Extension, Hospitality
2018-2022: B Music/B Education (Secondary) [UNSW]

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2019, 09:11:11 am »
+2
I prefer impromptu public speaking to prepared & I don't think there's anything lesser about being more comfortable with prepared - most people are!  The really important thing is that you've seen something outside your comfort zone and targeted it as an opportunity to learn & grow rather than avoiding; it's a fantastic attitude to have and I'm sure it'll take you far :).

You're certainly right that for jobs you also need social skills - it's great that you're working on this early :). I know a course that combines science and soft skills like communication (mine).

Hmm yeah to study physics at a uni level you'll definitely need maths.  Imo uni maths has a different feel to highschool maths (I prefer uni maths) so it's worth trying a couple of math units to see of you like it.

Thanks for starting a journal - so far it's fantastic! :)

Evolio

• MOTM: MAY 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +485
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2019, 04:40:06 pm »
+1
Hi OwlBird83!
Nice to meet you and it's really fantastic that you started a VCE Journal.
Looking forward to the future updates.

Right now I have started doing yoga from YouTube (‘Yoga with Adriene’-I recommend!) also I have tried to run around the block as well.
When I read this, I literally screamed. I finally found someone who does 'Yoga With Adriene'! How are you finding it so far and have you done any of the 31 day challenges? Which videos do you do?

See you around
 :)

Owlbird83

• BLAA 2020
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2019, 05:16:58 pm »
+5
Is it hard to do a language in Year 12?

Hi Snow Leopard!
For me, because I am ahead, it's not too bad. I find the stuff we do in class not very challenging, but my school is not very strong in languages in my opinion. My dad is a Japanese teacher at another school, and they are way more ahead than us. The grammar book that we are doing this year they finished last year, so I completed it all on the school holidays, so its pretty easy when I am doing it again in class. I have been doing a lot of the VCAA past exams at home, so that is quite time consuming, and my dad has encouraged me to translate the reading and listening parts, which I haven't done much of. I started learning french in year 7-9 and it was so hard, so I feel really lucky that I have grown up with Japanese. It's a totally different subject to the other ones I am doing so it's nice to have a change. I haven't really been working much on my detailed study yet, so I'll probably be doing a lot on the holidays, and also preparing for the oral. So, essentially, the class part isn't that hard, but to get a good score I think you have to spend a lot of time outside of class doing past exams and memorising your detailed study.

You play the clarinet!!!!  (same!) ;D
Are you learning any pieces at the moment? What grade are you up to? Your Japan trip sounds amazing! :)

What are your favourite books?
Cool!!  ;D I think I might be up to grade 4 level maybe. I did the grade 3 exam in year 9, but haven't done anymore since. For the VCE quartet, two of the others (who are the ones being assessed) are really good, they've been playing since primary school, so I feel nervous because they are tonnes better, but also they have harder parts (I'm playing 3rd), I do have to practice the pieces more though. For their exams we are playing "Eine Kleine", "La Copa" and "Bagatelle". I really like playing in a quartet, it sounds cool! I haven't really been learning any solo pieces, mostly band and quartet stuff and duets that I play in my lessons. Yeah, Japan was really fun! I have been before to visit my relatives, but it was the first time I didn't go with my family, and I got to do a home stay for 4 days which was really exciting! We played at our sister city's 'Australian Fair' and also got to go sight seeing in Tokyo!

My favourite book series is either The Mortal Instruments series by Cassandra Clare or A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J Maas. I really have to reread them sometime, because I have forgotten a lot of what happened.

I prefer impromptu public speaking to prepared & I don't think there's anything lesser about being more comfortable with prepared - most people are!  The really important thing is that you've seen something outside your comfort zone and targeted it as an opportunity to learn & grow rather than avoiding; it's a fantastic attitude to have and I'm sure it'll take you far :).

You're certainly right that for jobs you also need social skills - it's great that you're working on this early :). I know a course that combines science and soft skills like communication (mine).

Hmm yeah to study physics at a uni level you'll definitely need maths.  Imo uni maths has a different feel to highschool maths (I prefer uni maths) so it's worth trying a couple of math units to see of you like it.

Thanks for starting a journal - so far it's fantastic! :)

Thanks for your reply! Yeah hopefully this journal will motivate me to go out of my comfort zone more to improve! My English teacher said something the other day (it was something to do with essays though) but to "make it your strength", which I thought applies to life. I agree that avoiding things that make you uncomfortable will cause you to get trapped in a vicious cycle where you get worst at something because you avoid it and therefore you avoid it more.
That's good to know, (re uni maths). I do enjoy the homework sheets with past exam questions my teacher gives us because they are less repetitive and more interesting.

Hi OwlBird83!
Nice to meet you and it's really fantastic that you started a VCE Journal.
Looking forward to the future updates.
When I read this, I literally screamed. I finally found someone who does 'Yoga With Adriene'! How are you finding it so far and have you done any of the 31 day challenges? Which videos do you do?

See you around
 :)
Hi Evolio! Nice to meet you too! That's cool that you do 'Yoga with Adriene' too!! She just seems like the sweetest person! Doing yoga is a really good study break and I think I am getting more flexible. I haven't done any of the 31 day challenges, I really should do one though! There are so many videos to choose from I normally just find a random one that sounds fun!  ;D Yesterday after our last component of the maths SAC (which was really hard), my friend and I spend the whole period 6 just doing yoga and stretching on the ground in an empty classroom, which I think was a good way to relax after a SAC heavy week! It was funny when teachers walked by and were like 'what are they doing?'.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2019, 05:26:59 pm by Owlbird83 »

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2019, 05:20:37 pm »
+3
Awesome work with the debating. Not doing more debating stuff is probably one of my regrets from VCE. Like you, definitely not a fan of it on the surface, but think it would have been great developmentally.

P.S. What were your arguments for the gift debate? Haha.

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

Owlbird83

• BLAA 2020
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2019, 06:01:12 pm »
+4
Awesome work with the debating. Not doing more debating stuff is probably one of my regrets from VCE. Like you, definitely not a fan of it on the surface, but think it would have been great developmentally.

P.S. What were your arguments for the gift debate? Haha.
Thanks! Yeah, after I first decided and told the teacher I was definitely doing it I regretted it so much and wished I didn't, but leading up to the first debate I changed my mind and was glad I signed myself up, and it is much less scary than I had built it up to be.  :D

For our arguments, we took an emotional stance where we emphasised that relationships shouldn't be build on materialistic objects and since mother's day was coming up, we talked about how mother's day is a day where mothers and children can enjoy building human connection and spending time together, rather that focusing on the materialistic side of what the child will buy the mother. We also talked about the wasteful side, environmental impact and consumerism. It was really surprising that we ended up winning, I thought the other team were all really good speakers, it was super close and we were only one point ahead. The main reason we won was because the other team neglected our initial defining of a gift, and started talking about the 'gift of life' or 'the gift of time'. My friend who was our third speaker is also an amazing public speaker and brought our score up.

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2019, 06:07:05 pm »
+2
Nice one. Do you think it's improved your communications skills so far?

Owlbird83

• BLAA 2020
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2019, 06:51:02 pm »
+6
Nice one. Do you think it's improved your communications skills so far?
I think probably every time I do public speaking I will slowly get more comfortable by a fraction (hopefully), but I reckon that doing the debates have probably made me slightly less nervous for future ones. I can't really tell if I was less nervous for the second debate because I couldn't prepare before I went for that one, but if it was another prepared one I think I would definitely have gotten better. I am also excited for the speech we have to do in English and I don't feel that scared for it yet.
I think that my body has strengthened the neural pathway (or whatever happens in the brain) to make it a habit for my body to start the fight or flight response if I know I will have to do a presentation or when I consider speaking to someone I don't know, so it's hard to break that built up habit where my body tells me speech=time to run! haha. I think I still need to do more debates to desensitize myself more. It's annoying that despite the knowledge that we are not in immediate harm from being eaten by a predator or something, that that leftover evolutionary survival instinct still kicks in when it's not relevant for the majority of modern day situations.
One thing I read was to tell yourself that the nerves are just excitement, so you start thinking that you are just super excited about something instead of nervous! Self brainwashing!

mango8

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +58
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2019, 08:32:46 pm »
+1
Hello friends! I thought I should start a journal!

Hello Sarah! Not sure if you remember me but I am a frequent visitor to your sewing thread! And I remember that one time we were counting haha. Anyway, when I saw your journal pop up, I was honestly thrilled! We seem to have a lot in common, and I'm excited for your updates to come. It's great you have kept up with so many extracurriculars in Year 12. AND OH MY GOSH MORTAL INSTRUMENTS AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH <3

Owlbird83

• BLAA 2020
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2019, 07:13:42 pm »
+5
Hello Sarah! Not sure if you remember me but I am a frequent visitor to your sewing thread! And I remember that one time we were counting haha. Anyway, when I saw your journal pop up, I was honestly thrilled! We seem to have a lot in common, and I'm excited for your updates to come. It's great you have kept up with so many extracurriculars in Year 12. AND OH MY GOSH MORTAL INSTRUMENTS AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH <3

Hi Mango!! Thanks for your reply! Yes I remember you!  ;D I enjoyed reading your journal, and I agree, we seem similar! The Mortal instruments are actually the best! All the best with year 12!! <3  ;)

line thing. line thing. line thing. line thing. line thing. line thing. line thing. line thing. line thing. line thing. line thing. line thing. line thing. line thing. line thing. line thing. line thing. line thing. line thing. line thing. line thing. line thing. line thing. line thing.

Hey guys! What’s up!
The weather’s been quite nice this week! I am a summer person and prefer the warmth, so the sun was nice. But also the rain was good too!

The GAT!
I have not found a single person who agrees with me yet, but is there anyone else who found the GAT fun?  Some of those maths/problem solving ones were quite enjoyable, especially at that moment when it clicks and you get it! The writing tasks weren’t that great, but multiple choice was pretty cool! Also, I love all the memes!

Personal Development eww that sounds too formal and clinical
I went to a party on last weekend which was like the second I’ve been to this year (I am not really a party going person). I was sort of scared because none of my close friends were going and I wasn’t sure if there’d be people there I knew well. When I arrived there were only about six people there and they were all guys, so I awkwardly stood sort of near them. Then about 6 more guys arrived and I felt really awkward and I tried to resist the urge to look at my phone. I spoke to a few I knew so that made me feel a bit better. Then after a while more girls started arriving and some people I am friends with came and I felt more comfortable. At first when people were dancing I physically (mentally) couldn’t bring myself to dance, even though I was thinking that I knew I looked worse when I was standing stationary with a group of people who were dancing. I reckon I’m a fabulous dancer when I’m cleaning my room or doing the dishes and there’s no one around haha. I kept mentally telling myself to just loosen up and move to the beat. But it’s like peeing in public, that ingrained behaviour you have trained yourself not to do your whole life and then you just can’t do it. (sorry bad analogy but it reminded me of a time when I was at the beach with my friends and I tried to pee in the ocean but my body physically kept say no no this no toilet and holding it in) sorry too much information. Back to the story, but I kept mentally preparing myself and telling myself that I was able to dance in front of people at the year 10 formal, so why was think any different. I finally started being able to dance, when I finally dissolved the mental block on my body and overcame the initial worries of being judged! Yay! I think the more time I spend with people the more comfortable I become. The rest of the party wasn’t too bad! Most people there I knew sort of.

Formal
We had formal after the GAT. If you guys read my sewing thread, I decided not to wear that jumpsuit that I made, instead I wore a dress that I bought ages ago from the op shop that was blue and sequiny. I love opshops! Half of my friendship group decided not to go, but luckily I had a friend who I stuck with and two others. Like how I mentioned before, I finally felt able to dance after being there for 3 hours, maybe it was adrenaline. I felt bad for my vegetarian/vegan friends because they barely got anything for dinner, only two small slices of eggplant, some mushrooms and a smear of pumpkin. Everyone else had chicken parmigiana with chips and there was a chocolate lava cake dessert, which was delicious but super rich.

School
It’s mid year exam week for us (probably everyone else too?), and I’ve done English, and had chemistry and methods today. I wasn’t feeling prepared at all for chemistry because was thinking I’d have the whole of Thursday to study, but then I was super tired after formal and slept a lot and ending up doing next to nothing. But also I ran! (around the block) I feel weird using the phrasing: ‘I went for a run’, because I feel like it’s something sporty/fit people say, and I would not classify myself as one. I ran around the block 3 times this week and I am so proud of myself! But, the chem exam went really well! It was much easier than the practice one she gave us and I felt confident! The methods exam was pretty good too! (Except this one question where we needed the formula for the surface area of a sphere and no one knew it). I just have my Japanese and Physics exams on Monday, and then we start unit 4! Yay! Wow this year is just going so fast!

ADF Gap Year application
I have booked my assessment day for next week! I’m super nervous, but let’s not dwell on that, because the more I say it the more I feel it. I’m so excited! I spoke to one of the people on the phone yesterday, and I found out that if I pass the assessment day, after that I have to do the Officer Selection Board, because even though I’m just applying for the gap year, the jobs I’m applying for are officer roles. I was really hoping to avoid the OSB, because its all about your leadership skills and public speaking and scary fun stuff like that! But that won’t be for some months. For the assessment day which I’m doing next week, I basically have to prepare for the interview part like a regular job interview and research the job, Navy and ADF, because their goal is to see if I understand the lifestyle and role and see how suited I am. I once spoke to someone who said, “I look forward to job interviews because I see them as an opportunity to sell myself” or something like that. I reckon it’s such a great mindset to have and I’m going to try and adopt that, to see it as an opportunity to practice and improve interview skills.
Hope you guys have a great weekend and good luck if you have midyear exams!  ;D

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2019, 04:56:36 pm »
+3
GAT - I don't know if fun is the word I'd use haha, but I didn't mind it. I think the key is not putting too much pressure/expectation on yourself, and accepting that there are probably going to be questions that are sort of out of your comfort zone/skills/passions. Glad you found it enjoyable! ;D

P.S. For the "line thing" (loved it hahaha), you can use:

Code: [Select]
[hr]
I think it stands for "horizontal rule". It looks like this:

Although I think I might actually prefer your way. :P

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +856
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2019, 10:51:09 pm »
+3
I too love your line thing. :D At our school, we did the AGAT today (the GAT for Year 10's) and I also found the mathsy and problem-solving questions surprisingly fun. The pick the odd pattern out or the next pattern in the sequence ones drove me insane. Can't wait to read more!
laura <3

Snow Leopard

• MOTM: SEP 19
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +196
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2019, 06:04:26 pm »
I too love your line thing. :D At our school, we did the AGAT today (the GAT for Year 10's) and I also found the mathsy and problem-solving questions surprisingly fun. The pick the odd pattern out or the next pattern in the sequence ones drove me insane. Can't wait to read more!
laura <3

What's the AGAT?