Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 07:51:56 pm

Author Topic: Bachelor of Science @ UoM for DVM  (Read 814 times)  Share 

echan02

• Adventurer
  • aspiring veterinarian?
  • Respect: 0
Bachelor of Science @ UoM for DVM
« on: December 15, 2018, 01:32:02 am »
Hiya fellow students,
I've just recently finished year 10 and I was wondering how stressful B-Sci is on students. My dream is to become a veterinarian ever since I was little and my VCE subjects in 2019 that I am doing are: Biology 3/4, Methods 1/2, Further 1/2, English 1/2, Psychology 1/2, and Chemistry 1/2. I'm not too strong in mathematics (I am around average in my school), would I be able to keep up with this at uni? However, I did receive the best mark in biology this year :)

Thank you! I'm sure that you have no time answering a 16y/o but I appreciate your replies (hopefully) :D
:)

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
Re: Bachelor of Science @ UoM for DVM
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2018, 10:00:09 am »
Hey :)

Congrats on your bio mark! :) My VCE subjects were very similar (even including doing bio a year early) so if you want VCE advice I can probably also help you with that :)

Here is some information about the major
Looking at the course handbook (this is where you get ultra-detailed information about the course) it doesn't seem like much maths is required.

Hopefully someone more familiar with this will be able to share their perspective too

In terms of stress, I would warn you that the career you are pursuing is a highly stressful one. There are high rates of suicide compared to other careers, and you will likely find it significantly more stressful than uni.    I don't say this to try and deter you from your dream; if this is what you're set on doing, then do it :) but I thought I should warn you

Good luck - and definitely feel free to post & ask questions :)

PS. you might want to look at some of the stuff here and here

echan02

• Adventurer
  • aspiring veterinarian?
  • Respect: 0
Re: Bachelor of Science @ UoM for DVM
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2018, 10:10:39 pm »
+1
Hey :)

Congrats on your bio mark! :) My VCE subjects were very similar (even including doing bio a year early) so if you want VCE advice I can probably also help you with that :)

Here is some information about the major
Looking at the course handbook (this is where you get ultra-detailed information about the course) it doesn't seem like much maths is required.

Hopefully someone more familiar with this will be able to share their perspective too

In terms of stress, I would warn you that the career you are pursuing is a highly stressful one. There are high rates of suicide compared to other careers, and you will likely find it significantly more stressful than uni.    I don't say this to try and deter you from your dream; if this is what you're set on doing, then do it :) but I thought I should warn you

Good luck - and definitely feel free to post & ask questions :)

PS. you might want to look at some of the stuff here and here

Thank you so much for taking time to reply to my post and offering advice haha! I'm a fairly optimistic person so I hope my future self will keep a positive mindset. Those links provided was very helpful -I didn't know there was a year 10 forum! Hopefully I receive the ATAR I desire and continue to pursue my dream job. Thanks again!

After reviewing a couple of forums on DVM, I can't help but get anxious. The acceptance is very competitive, not to mention the stress! Hoping I will be able to get through this though. Best luck to my future self and you!  ;D
:)