Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 05:12:06 pm

Author Topic: Psychology: Discussion, Questions & Potential Solutions  (Read 26097 times)

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
Psychology: Discussion, Questions & Potential Solutions
« on: October 09, 2018, 03:27:32 pm »

This thread is for all exam-related discussion. Was it easy? Was it hard? What did you get for each question? Feel free to post any and all of your thoughts below.

If you don't have an ATAR Notes account yet, no stress - you can register for free here!
« Last Edit: October 23, 2018, 02:58:06 pm by Joseph41 »

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

ardria

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +3
Re: Psychology: Discussion, Questions & Potential Solutions
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2018, 12:02:14 pm »
- For physiological way of measuring of ASC (2 marks), I said to meausure heart rate as an elevated heart rate would indicate ASC. However this is probably incorrect as you can have an elevated heart rate in NWC. Would the answer be brain waves? I really have no idea. I almost said “check if pupils dilated” haha.

- For the second last SA question (the woman who didn’t like her coworkers), I said a possible biological  factor contributing to development of a mental health disorder was a genetic vulnerability due to family history of mental health disorders. However there was no evidence of this so... 

- Same question as previous one, I had absolutely no idea what an example of a psychological protective factor was. I said positive thinking, haha. 

I found about 5 multiple choice questions  not totally clear what the answer was, which was new as previously it’s been quite clear. One of them I even think may end up having two acceptable answers.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2018, 12:22:01 pm by ardria »

rani_b

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +67
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2018, 12:09:30 pm »
What did people say for the extraneous variable that Jake could have identified? The jet lag q.
2019 ATAR: 99.85

Selling: English [50] & Lit [48] essays! PM for details.

addictwithatextbook

• Forum Regular
  • Hello :)
  • Respect: +21
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2018, 12:13:59 pm »
- For the second last SA question (the woman who didn’t like her coworkers), I said a possible biological  factor contributing to development of a mental health disorder was a genetic vulnerability due to family history of mental health disorders. However there was no evidence of this in the question but there didn’t seem to be evidence of any others. 

I recall it asked for internal rather then biological factor? So I think it would accept psychological risk factors as well. So I said poor self-efficacy?

What did people say for the extraneous variable that Jake could have identified? The jet lag q.

I wasn't sure about that question either. I think said something about the geologists who travel are already used to jet lag and so its effects on the cognitive and relationships would be minimised?

That being said, I found that exam harder than practice exams or previous exams. Anyone think so?
VCE Subjects:
2017: Further Mathematics | Biology 1 & 2
2018: Legal Studies 3 & 4 | Chemistry | Mathematical Methods (CAS) | English | Psychology

rani_b

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +67
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2018, 12:18:14 pm »
I recall it asked for internal rather then biological factor? So I think it would accept psychological risk factors as well. So I said poor self-efficacy?

I wasn't sure about that question either. I think said something about the geologists who travel are already used to jet lag and so its effects on the cognitive and relationships would be minimised?

That being said, I found that exam harder than practice exams or previous exams. Anyone think so?

Yeah I thought it said internal factor too so I put poor self efficacy.

And yes I said prior experience with travel! I wasn’t sure about it though.

It was very content heavy, not a lot of research methods... I don’t really know what to think haha
2019 ATAR: 99.85

Selling: English [50] & Lit [48] essays! PM for details.

ardria

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2018, 12:19:52 pm »

I said participant variables, e.g personality can affect number of interpersonal conflicts.

Also I agree that it was a fair bit more difficult than any practice exam I’ve done. It honestly really resembled last year’s Bio exam in terms of style and difficulty. The last 10-marker about sleep was much more straightforward and easier last year. There was a huge amount of info to sort through this time, I think it would have been wise to structure the response by subheading of “biological responses”/“coping strategies”/and so on.

And you guys are right, it said internal factor woops.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2018, 12:23:53 pm by ardria »

Atlantis

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2018, 12:25:28 pm »
What was the 10 mark question on? Did psych last year and really loved it, would be interested to know this years question.  :)
“The mind is not a vessel to be filled, but a fire to be kindled.”
― Plutarch

xdmemeguy

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2018, 12:28:18 pm »

I said participant variables, e.g personality can affect number of interpersonal conflicts.

Also I agree that it was a fair bit more difficult than any practice exam I’ve done. It honestly really resembled last year’s Bio exam in terms of style and difficulty. The last 10-marker about sleep was much more straightforward and easier last year. There was a huge amount of info to sort through this time, I think it would have been wise to structure the response by subheading of “biological responses”/“coping strategies”/and so on.

And you guys are right, it said internal factor woops.

I wrote that because geologists that visited local mines are familiar with the place, they may have an improved relationshop with others which may lead to less interpersonal altercations.

Zaljc

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +7
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2018, 12:29:38 pm »

What was the 10 mark question on? Did psych last year and really loved it, would be interested to know this years question.  :)

It was the sources of stress, biological models of stress and psychological model of stress
2017- Biology

2018- Chemistry, English, Methods, Physics & Business Managment

ardria

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2018, 12:33:33 pm »
What did everyone say for these?

1. physiological method of checking a person’s state of consciousness after 24 hours of sleep deprivation

2. psychological protective factor against developing mental health disorder

xdmemeguy

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2018, 12:38:18 pm »

1. physiological method of checking a person’s state of consciousness after 24 hours of sleep deprivation

If someoene can tell me if these are acceptable answer that would be great.

I wrote an EEG for the physiological method, all the D.A.R.E and that yadda yadda.

And I wrote a high self-efficacy, as a protective factor.

addictwithatextbook

• Forum Regular
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2018, 12:41:57 pm »

1. I wrote an EEG lmao but I was imagining it being used while a person was driving

2. Cognitive behavioural strategies?
VCE Subjects:
2018: Legal Studies 3 & 4 | Chemistry | Mathematical Methods (CAS) | English | Psychology

studyingg

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +14
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2018, 12:55:05 pm »
did you guys find it more difficult than last year? It felt really application based... idk how to feel tbh haha

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2018, 01:03:52 pm »
@everyone
It's easy to panic yourself after the exam,  just rest assured knowing that you've gotten through it now & you're one step closer to the freedom of the holidays.

Now might be a good time for avoidance coping strategies :)
(Except for the ones that'll impair your ability to prepare for your other exams :P )

addictwithatextbook

• Forum Regular
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2018, 01:07:31 pm »
did you guys find it more difficult than last year? It felt really application based... idk how to feel tbh haha

Yeah, an example which was the one where we had to link attention in observational learning to developing David's phobia??? Also heaps of "short"-answer questions about mental health. And there were two multiple-choice that stuck out from the ones I wasn't sure the answers to (the one about the autonomic system's role when that girl's blood pressure dropped from seeing the needle, and a question on that Phil dude).

There's something about these discussions that I can't get off of. I know it's all done and a part of me wants to stop and move on but another part wants closure
VCE Subjects: