Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 18, 2024, 05:59:28 pm

Author Topic: Biology: Discussion, Questions & Potential Solutions  (Read 49303 times)

benmcleod

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Re: Biology: Discussion, Questions & Potential Solutions
« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2018, 01:15:56 pm »
Does anyone remember what the said the hypothesis Elsa was testing was?
That algae with x pigment had higher rates of photosynthesis under green light than algae without x pigment?

Erutepa

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Forum Leader
  • evenin'
  • Respect: +775
« Reply #31 on: November 02, 2018, 01:16:18 pm »
I talked about cell mediated immunity for the botox question because I thought that it was in the muscle cells, which is how they were being inhibited...
Since it is a toxin, I think they want you to talk about the humoral immune system rather than the cell mediated as toxins can be neutralised by antibody binding.
Qualifications
 > Have counted to 227
 > Can draw really good spiders
 > 2 Poet points
 > 6.5 insanipi points
 > 1 Bri MT point

briv01

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #32 on: November 02, 2018, 01:16:58 pm »
Does anyone remember what the said the hypothesis Elsa was testing was?

How did you guys find multichoice?

Multiple choice was pretty good in my opinion, I said she that the test tube with the red algae will have the highest rate of photosynthesis and turn yellow as a result

AISHAB

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #33 on: November 02, 2018, 01:18:58 pm »

Multiple choice was pretty good in my opinion, I said she that the test tube with the red algae will have the highest rate of photosynthesis and turn yellow as a result

Yeah same

briv01

• Trailblazer
« Reply #34 on: November 02, 2018, 01:20:52 pm »
What did you guys say for the very last question about the other variables affecting the results

gab.r_se

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #35 on: November 02, 2018, 01:49:14 pm »
What did you guys say for the very last question about the other variables affecting the results

I said something about cellular respiration, but I don't know if that's right.
2018: Biology [35]
2019: English [35], Methods [31], Chemistry [30], Further [40], Enviro [43]
ATAR: 89.65
2020 - 2022: Science @ UoM

gab.r_se

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #36 on: November 02, 2018, 01:50:50 pm »
For the experiment question, weren't there red algae balls and green algae balls? I hope I didn't misread the question... There were no transparent balls, right?
2018: Biology [35]
2019: English [35], Methods [31], Chemistry [30], Further [40], Enviro [43]
ATAR: 89.65
2020 - 2022: Science @ UoM

benmcleod

• Adventurer
« Reply #37 on: November 02, 2018, 01:51:50 pm »

Red pigment could leach out of the algae, causing the solution to appear more red than it actually is and hence inaccurate results.
Initial CO2 concentration of green algae may have been higher than red algae, making it appear that less CO2 was used in this test.

I found this question hard, and initially talked about different rates of cellular respiration but ruled that out due to the dark control test. I'm not sure if either of those answers are right.

benmcleod

• Adventurer
« Reply #38 on: November 02, 2018, 01:53:00 pm »
For the experiment question, weren't there red algae balls and green algae balls? I hope I didn't misread the question... There were no transparent balls, right?
No transparent balls. Both balls had the same clear jelly medium, the algae itself was either a green or a red species.

briv01

• Trailblazer
« Reply #39 on: November 02, 2018, 01:56:43 pm »
Red pigment could leach out of the algae, causing the solution to appear more red than it actually is and hence inaccurate results.
Initial CO2 concentration of green algae may have been higher than red algae, making it appear that less CO2 was used in this test.

I found this question hard, and initially talked about different rates of cellular respiration but ruled that out due to the dark control test. I'm not sure if either of those answers are right.

Yeah I said the initial Co2 of the two test tubes may not have been controlled so the results won’t have been accurate as they might have started off with different Co2, this makes Co2 another IV

I also said this about the temp of each test tube as the temp affects enzymes that run photosynthesis

LifeisaConstantStruggle

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +104
« Reply #40 on: November 02, 2018, 01:57:38 pm »
+1
Good work for finishing the exams guys! Don't worry too much about the results :)
Just asked my students about their opinion on their exam and the difficulty (estimated anyways) is between the 2017 exam and the 2018 NHT one. So it's fairly tough. But results are relative anyways so you'll never know.
If you think you're not doing bio in the future. Great. Because you can now slowly forget everything about bio until your knowledge disintegrates into feeble expressions related to the subject like how the mitochondria is the powerhouse of the cell and how the only thing that can both be smooth and rough in bio is the endoplasmic reticulum (not sure if 100% true).
Good luck for your future exams and endeavours!

Edit: Please don't forget about biology though was a joke it is very intellectually stimulating
« Last Edit: November 02, 2018, 02:00:24 pm by LifeisaConstantStruggle »
2018-2020: Bachelor of Actuarial Science (+ Econometrics), Monash
2021: Bachelor of Commerce (Honours), Econometrics & Financial Mathematics, Monash
2022-2023: Work and some soul-searching

zakaria-03

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #41 on: November 02, 2018, 02:22:09 pm »
Does anyone have any suggested anwsers?????

Yacoubb

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +26
« Reply #42 on: November 02, 2018, 02:25:07 pm »
Does anyone have any suggested anwsers?????

Haven't been able to get a copy of the exam yet but as soon as we do people will be able to have suggested solutions!
2013-2014: VCE
2015-2017: BSc. at University of Melbourne. Majoring in Microbiology & Immunology.
2018: Honours - Restoring immunocompetency in Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia
2019-2022: Doctor of Medicine (MD) at Deakin University

Completed VCE Biology in 2013 with a study score of 47. Offering tutoring in VCE Biology for 2020 in Geelong region! PM me for more details.

jack.gould123

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #43 on: November 02, 2018, 02:27:44 pm »
Was an OK exam I felt. The Botox question really got me though :(

benmcleod

• Adventurer
« Reply #44 on: November 02, 2018, 02:28:27 pm »
wow, now questioning my whole life for the last question. Initially I thought the dark control was to determine differences in respiration rate, although given it occurs in the dark there would be very little glucose, and would actually act as a better control for the errors I mentioned earlier (initial CO2 level in algae and leeching of red pigment), probably making them incorrect. So cya later to those 3 marks haha