Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 09:39:41 am

Author Topic: English Advanced Question Thread  (Read 1231803 times)

NP2000

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Re: English Advanced Question Thread
« Reply #3435 on: February 13, 2018, 06:40:28 pm »
Hi guys,

I'm having trouble developing paragraphs for my Advanced English Creative Writing piece. I would really appreciate it if you guys could develop paragraphs that focus on imagery and emotion on the following topics.

- Paragraph on ''Mithu'' birds. Describe their plumage, emotions that arise from their beauty and emotions that arise from their sonorous voices.
- Paragraph on a cage which the birds are housed in. Describe the cage like a jail, something that hinders the beauty of the birds.
- Paragraph describing the emotion someone feels when they lose someone. In my story a son loses his dad to cancer.
- Paragraph describing how someone feels when they are forced to give up something. In my story, the persona is forced to give up his passion, playing the violin, because of unforeseen circumstances.

I know this is a lot to ask for but I would really appreciate it if you guys could help.

Thanks

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #3436 on: February 13, 2018, 10:52:54 pm »
+4
Hi guys,

I'm having trouble developing paragraphs for my Advanced English Creative Writing piece. I would really appreciate it if you guys could develop paragraphs that focus on imagery and emotion on the following topics.

Welcome to the forums! ;D we'd be super happy to give you some feedback on anything you've written, and we have a great guide that could help. But us doing your piece for you isn't going to accomplish anything - If anything, you'll be worse off, even if it seems easier now!

The forums are an incredible resource, but we aren't here to do your homework for you :)

dancing phalanges

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +312
« Reply #3437 on: February 13, 2018, 11:19:53 pm »
Hi guys,

- Paragraph on ''Mithu'' birds. Describe their plumage, emotions that arise from their beauty and emotions that arise from their sonorous voices.
- Paragraph on a cage which the birds are housed in. Describe the cage like a jail, something that hinders the beauty of the birds.
- Paragraph describing the emotion someone feels when they lose someone. In my story a son loses his dad to cancer.
- Paragraph describing how someone feels when they are forced to give up something. In my story, the persona is forced to give up his passion, playing the violin, because of unforeseen circumstances.

I know this is a lot to ask for but I would really appreciate it if you guys could help.

Thanks

Hey! If you are struggling with describing things check out descriptionari.com. People post paragraphs describing all sorts of things from objects to emotions and it helped me a lot in gaining inspiration for creative writing in the hsc :)
HSC 2017 (ATAR 98.95) - English Advanced (94), English Extension 1 (48), Modern History (94), Studies of Religion 1 (48), Visual Arts (95), French Continuers (92)

Download our free discovery trial paper!

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Bibliophile. Stationery addict.
  • Respect: +1010
« Reply #3438 on: February 13, 2018, 11:28:14 pm »
+3
Hi guys,

Thanks
My response may sound like your typical English teacher but maybe read around for some inspiration. When I experienced writer's block, I would read examplar creative pieces and a compilation of short stories- short stories are better in helping you get that creativity flowing because they're short (duh!) and they are much more concise in conveying the themes.

Another thing I would do is to align my emotions to the emotions your character is feeling. For example, you listed that you needed help in describing the emotion when a son loses his dad- go watch something sad! Maybe go watch A Walk To Remember? Films are crafted to make the audience feel the same/similar emotions as the character, and to be honest, you see more people emotionally respond to films more than novels (unless you're a bookworm). So yeah, watch something sad so you can write on a personal level rather than regurgitating cliche lines in your creative.

Hope this helps!
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 11:31:26 pm by owidjaja »
2018 HSC: English Advanced | Mathematics | Physics | Modern History | History Extension | Society and Culture | Studies of Religion I

ATAR: 93.60

2019: Aerospace Engineering (Hons)  @ UNSW

SpanishPear

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #3439 on: February 14, 2018, 01:47:03 pm »
+1
Hey all,
So I'm really not an English person, and I've read the articles on "how to do English if you're a maths person" and similar articles by the atarnotes community, but one thing still confuses me.
How do I go about constructing essays to memorise for my HSC??
For example, for the discovery module, my assessment was a vodcast on a particular topic. How would I go about constructing a general essay for Discovery?

Mada438

• Forum Leader
  • Skiing, motorcycle and travel fanatic
  • Respect: +399
« Reply #3440 on: February 14, 2018, 02:49:19 pm »
Hey all,
So I'm really not an English person, and I've read the articles on "how to do English if you're a maths person" and similar articles by the atarnotes community, but one thing still confuses me.
For example, for the discovery module, my assessment was a vodcast on a particular topic. How would I go about constructing a general essay for Discovery?
In terms of memorizing an essay, i've found what helps the most is rewriting it again and again, with a copy next to you to refer to if needed. The aim is that as you rewrite it more and more, you can remember how to write more of it without referring to your other copy, until you eventually you actually do (believe it or not) write the same essay from the top of your head. If you do this, do it under timed conditions, as this helps with your time management.

However, if you think memorizing an ENTIRE essay is too much, then set about learning a set of concepts, quotes, techniques and analysis that can be shaped to apply to the question. That way you you can remember all the important parts needed, and not little things that aren't important.
Hope this helps!
"Live life like a pineapple. Stand tall, wear a crown and be sweet on the inside"

"May you grow up to be righteous; may you grow up to be true. May you always know the truth and see the lights surrounding you. May you always be courageous, stand upright and be strong"

"Be fearless in the pursuit of what sets your soul on fire"

Advice for starting year 12
An open letter to my School Friends
Would 10 year old you be proud of who you are?

2020: Bachelor of Arts @ANU

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #3441 on: February 14, 2018, 03:42:37 pm »
+3
Hey all,
Hey there!
When it comes to constructing essays, I would prepare an essay plan with your related and set text- this way, you can match the concepts and quotes together. Don't memorise an entire essay unless you already know the question- the whole point of the HSC to for students to write what they know rather than regurgitating other people's words.

As for constructing a general AOS essay, I would create a very broad thesis so it can be malleable in an exam. For example, in the rubric, there is a point on how discovery can be planned or unexpected. Since that is a broad rubric point, use that as your practice thesis and then twist it so it can align with the essay question. Say, if the essay question was talking about discoveries that can be intellectual, scientific etc., you can say that an intellectual discovery can be unexpected, as seen in *insert text/character*. Through this, your thesis is consistent- which means that you really know your thesis- and you can easily adjust to different forms of questions.

Hope this helps!
2018 HSC: English Advanced | Mathematics | Physics | Modern History | History Extension | Society and Culture | Studies of Religion I

SpanishPear

• Forum Regular
« Reply #3442 on: February 15, 2018, 10:02:54 am »
Hey there!
When it comes to constructing essays, I would prepare an essay plan with your related and set text- this way, you can match the concepts and quotes together. Don't memorise an entire essay unless you already know the question- the whole point of the HSC to for students to write what they know rather than regurgitating other people's words.

As for constructing a general AOS essay, I would create a very broad thesis so it can be malleable in an exam. For example, in the rubric, there is a point on how discovery can be planned or unexpected. Since that is a broad rubric point, use that as your practice thesis and then twist it so it can align with the essay question. Say, if the essay question was talking about discoveries that can be intellectual, scientific etc., you can say that an intellectual discovery can be unexpected, as seen in *insert text/character*. Through this, your thesis is consistent- which means that you really know your thesis- and you can easily adjust to different forms of questions.

Hope this helps!

That was really helpful!!
So for the modules, would it also be a good idea to use a statement from the rubric as a thesis, or is that only for AOS

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #3443 on: February 15, 2018, 12:32:16 pm »
+3
So for the modules, would it also be a good idea to use a statement from the rubric as a thesis, or is that only for AOS

The rubrics are far less prescriptive in the Modules in terms of comparison. For AOS, you have that big chunk of all things Discovery to choose from.

I have to say, make sure you don't just take a sentence from the rubric as a thesis. Use your own words, blend it with another idea about discovery, or only take inspiration from the rubric. The rubric is there to guide and inspire, so you absolutely can use the words and ideas of the rubric. But, you can't just spit back the rubric. You have to take on your own creative blend :)
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

dancing phalanges

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +312
« Reply #3444 on: February 15, 2018, 12:46:03 pm »
+5

Elyse is 100% correct that while the rubric forms the basis of your thesis, you still need to put it in your own words to really show you understand what is being asked rather than just copying words from the question or rubric. That's where this synonym table I made comes in: https://atarnotes.com/forum/index.php?topic=176661.0
Take a look it just gives you a bank of synonyms for the key words/types of discoveries in the rubric and should help you a lot when writing your thesis and explanations :)
HSC 2017 (ATAR 98.95) - English Advanced (94), English Extension 1 (48), Modern History (94), Studies of Religion 1 (48), Visual Arts (95), French Continuers (92)

Download our free discovery trial paper!

fergo

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #3445 on: February 15, 2018, 08:56:54 pm »
Hello!

So I'm writing a practice essay on Module A- EBB and Fitzgerald and I'm worried that my introduction is too long. It's around 200 words and it takes up around 2/3 of a page, but I also have big writing and can write reasonable fast. I'm not sure if I should try and cut it down or if it would be alright.

Thanks!!

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #3446 on: February 15, 2018, 09:03:53 pm »
+2
Hello!

So I'm writing a practice essay on Module A- EBB and Fitzgerald and I'm worried that my introduction is too long. It's around 200 words and it takes up around 2/3 of a page, but I also have big writing and can write reasonable fast. I'm not sure if I should try and cut it down or if it would be alright.

Thanks!!

Hey! I think your introduction needs to be in proportion to your essay. If you've got a 200 word introduction, we'd be talking 300-400 word paragraphs and a 100 word conclusion, getting us close to 1500 words!! If you can write 1500 words in 40 minutes, then you're sweet! Personally, I never went far above the 900-1000 range, but I wrote my essays from scratch :)

Even so, it might be a tad long! Maybe try and get it down a tad? We'd be happy to help with that if you posted it in our feedback section :)

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #3447 on: February 15, 2018, 09:59:04 pm »
+2
Hello!

Thanks!!
Hey there!
Damn 200 words for an introduction?! I kinda feel like that's a bit too much. It depends on what's in your intro- things like when these texts were written, too much context etc can be taken out of your introduction. I haven't done Module A yet but personally, if there is context in the intro, I would move it into my paragraphs where I can intertwine them with my analysis to show the relationship between context and your analysis. Plus, I feel like although a great introduction is important, the main bulk of the marking focuses on your analysis.

Hope this helps!

Lumenoria

• MOTM: JUN 18
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +85
« Reply #3448 on: February 16, 2018, 10:11:53 pm »

Hi guys,

Thanks

I'm literally shook at how freaking similar the ideas in your outline are to my discovery creative, it's actually insane lol. I know how you feel, I was on the fence about initiating the story for AGES, but honestly, your ideas will start flowing once you start writing!! Your language doesn't have to be crazy sophisticated at all, just make a start! Brain dump anything you can think of. I related my creative to a personal experience, which made it SUPER easy to write about, but I can understand how hard it would be otherwise. It also adds authenticity to the piece, so if you're not associated with these ideas somehow, then add a personal touch to it. It'll assist you SO much more than you know. Keep adapting them to different aspects of the syllabus too. I probably did about 7 practice papers in preparation for my first Advanced English assessment last term so that I was ready for anything that could be fired at me on the day, and I ended up getting a 14/15 on it. Keep drafting your responses and hand them in to your teacher for feedback. Seek out your errors and work on them. It pays off. You just need to put in effort.
HSC 2018 (ATAR 96.35) - English Advanced (96) | Mathematics General (87) | Legal Studies (94) | Economics (89) | Industrial Technology (94)

SpanishPear

• Forum Regular
« Reply #3449 on: February 19, 2018, 10:14:29 am »
The rubrics are far less prescriptive in the Modules in terms of comparison. For AOS, you have that big chunk of all things Discovery to choose from.

I have to say, make sure you don't just take a sentence from the rubric as a thesis. Use your own words, blend it with another idea about discovery, or only take inspiration from the rubric. The rubric is there to guide and inspire, so you absolutely can use the words and ideas of the rubric. But, you can't just spit back the rubric. You have to take on your own creative blend :)

For Mod B (I'm doing Yeats' poetry, which I know is your favouite), do i construct an essay choosing two poems and just hope that they align with the one given in the question? Or do I constuct a few essays using all poems?