Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 06:59:49 pm

Author Topic: SS for chem  (Read 1803 times)  Share 

_juwayriyah

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
SS for chem
« on: December 15, 2016, 05:35:28 pm »
What was everyone's study score for chem? What were your average sac marks throughout the year and your mark on the exam?

alanyin1

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +5
Re: SS for chem
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2016, 11:57:33 pm »
What was everyone's study score for chem? What were your average sac marks throughout the year and your mark on the exam?

Hi juwa,

This year I was fortunate enough to gain a 50 Study Score for Chemistry. My SAC marks were all A+ with the exception of 1 midyear SAC being an A. I'm not exactly sure where my Chemistry rank was, but I was definitely not first; I didn't receive the Chemistry Prize at my school (Melbourne High) - I'd say it was most likely in the top 10 somewhere . If you would like to know my exact rank, I'll ask the Head of Chem for you.

With regards to the exam, I've applied for the Statement of Marks to see exactly what I got and where. Given that I obtained a 50, I assume that VCAA accepted almost fully if not fully my explanation for the last question on the paper (I think worth 7, anyone confirm?). I know I definitely lost 1 mark on a battery question in the Short-Answer section, but I was also unsure of another mark located in the Multi-Choice. I had a discussion with several other ATARNotes people, including Thushan, post exam-day, but nothing completely conclusive was drawn. FYI, it was a question on identifying whether a Substitution/Addition reaction had taken place when Chlorine is added to a Alkene. I was pretty sure that it was Addition only, but some people argued that it was Addition + Redox. We'll have to wait for VCAA Answers.

TLDR; I wasn't Rank 1, I suspect within Rank 1-10, and I think I only lost 1-3 or 4 marks MAX on the exam, depending on how they accept my response to the last question in SA and what the final answer is for the MC question mentioned above.

I hope this helps in answering your query, and, if you are entering Year 12 next year, wish you the best of luck with your studies :)
« Last Edit: December 18, 2016, 11:37:00 am by alanyin1 »
2016 ATAR: 99.85, Melbourne High School
2017-2019: Bachelor of Biomedicine (Bio-Engineering Systems Major) at The University of Melbourne
2020-2023: Doctor of Medicine at The University of Melbourne

Feel free to PM me regarding VCE and GAMSAT/MMI help :)

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." - Kierkegaard

_juwayriyah

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2016, 03:59:41 pm »

Hi juwa,

This year I was fortunate enough to gain a 50 Study Score for Chemistry. My SAC marks were all A+ with the exception of 1 midyear SAC being an A. I'm not exactly sure where my Chemistry rank was, but I was definitely not first; I didn't receive the Chemistry Prize at my school (Melbourne High) - I'd say it was most likely in the top 10 somewhere . If you would like to know my exact rank, I'll ask the Head of Chem for you.

With regards to the exam, I've applied for the Statement of Marks to see exactly what I got and where. Given that I obtained a 50, I assume that VCAA accepted almost fully if not fully my explanation for the last question on the paper (I think worth 7, anyone confirm?). I know I definitely lost 1 mark on a battery question in the Short-Answer section, but I was also unsure of another mark located in the Multi-Choice. I had a discussion with several other ATARNotes people, including Thushan, post exam-day, but nothing completely conclusive was drawn. FYI, it was a question on identifying whether a Substitution/Addition reaction had taken place when Chlorine is added to a Alkene. I was pretty sure that it was Addition only, but some people argued that it was Addition + Redox. We'll have to wait for VCAA Answers.

TLDR; I wasn't Rank 1, I suspect within Rank 1-10, and I think I only lost 1-3 or 4 marks MAX on the exam, depending on how they accept my response to the last question in SA and what the final answer is for the MC question mentioned above.

I hope this helps in answering your query, and, if you are entering Year 12 next year, wish you the best of luck with your studies :)
Thanks so much, I'm aiming for ss of 30-35 lol so I hope it goes well

alanyin1

• Trailblazer
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2016, 04:20:30 pm »
I think that a study score of 30-35 is very achievable.

My impression of chem is that there aren't many places for careless mistakes to occur, unlike maths. That is, if you understand the chemical concepts, then there is nothing stopping you from scoring even higher! I'm sure you'll do just fine.

If you need any additional help, ATARNotes has your back :)

2017-2019: Bachelor of Biomedicine (Bio-Engineering Systems Major) at The University of Melbourne

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." - Kierkegaard

Jakeybaby

• Trendsetter
  • Grad Year: 2016
  • Respect: +23
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2016, 04:24:13 pm »
My impression of chem is that there aren't many places for careless mistakes to occur, unlike maths.
Unless you're like me, and in a 90 mark test, you only lose 1 mark because you drew water as HO2 *facepalm*
2016 ATAR: 98.60

2020: Bachelor of Finance @ University of Adelaide

Recipient of the 2017 University of Adelaide Principals' Scholarship

alanyin1

• Trailblazer
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2016, 04:27:05 pm »
Unless you're like me, and in a 90 mark test, you only lose 1 mark because you drew water as HO2 *facepalm*

Ahh man that's unfortunate, I really feel you; I made some very questionable mistakes this year too, may have ended up costing me my first preference D: