Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 25, 2024, 02:28:43 am

Author Topic: HSC Ancient History Question Thread  (Read 72657 times)  Share 

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Seize the means of the HSC" ~ Vladimir Lenin
  • Respect: +931
Re: Ancient History Question Thread
« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2017, 01:35:26 am »
+2

..... oh god....

How embarrassing.... Obviously................. hahahah sorry my brain is literally dead being staying up till 2 am everyday this week.

Thanks for the advice :)

No need to feel embarrassed! A super easy mistake to make, even reading your question I had to do a double take haha. And oh god 2am nights (or mornings?). Definitely takes me back to last year :/ Try your best to avoid them though, especially when the term starts back up (I say at 1:30 am - but i'm in uni now so that's okay - right?)

Susie
FREE HISTORY EXTENSION LECTURE - CLICK HERE FOR INFO!

2016 HSC: Modern History (18th in NSW) | History Extension (2nd place in the HTA Extension History Essay Prize) | Ancient History | Drama | English Advanced | Studies of Religion I | Economics

ATAR: 97.80

Studying a Bachelor of Communications: Media Arts and Production at UTS 😊

Looking for a history tutor? I'm ya girl! Feel free to send me a PM if you're interested!

Maraos

• Trendsetter
  • Atar Notes = Productive procrastination.... right?
  • Respect: +27
« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2017, 01:47:35 am »
+1
No need to feel embarrassed! A super easy mistake to make, even reading your question I had to do a double take haha. And oh god 2am nights (or mornings?). Definitely takes me back to last year :/ Try your best to avoid them though, especially when the term starts back up (I say at 1:30 am - but i'm in uni now so that's okay - right?)

Susie
Yeah defiantly, I sleep in too late as well :D .... I kinda find working at night easier i dunno, but yeah since exams are generally early i should probably start sleeping earlier :)
2016 HSC:
Mathematics
(1 down 6 to go... :D)

2017 HSC:
Physics
Extension 1 Mathematics
Design and Technology
Ancient History
History Extension
English Advanced

Maraos

• Trendsetter
« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2017, 09:12:26 pm »
Hey!  ;D
Just a quick question, should the last question (15 marker) in the ancient society section be answered in proper essay form? I find that I tend to write a bit of a hybrid essay (as in I don't really have a clear introduction that introduces my main point, I kinda make a general statement and then bring up all my evidence etc.)

For example this question:
"What does evidence reveal about the structure of Spartan society? In your answer, refer to Source P, other sources, and your own knowledge."

Thanks! (also sorry for the insane amount of questions haha)
2016 HSC:
Mathematics

2017 HSC:
Physics
Extension 1 Mathematics
Design and Technology
Ancient History
History Extension
English Advanced

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2017, 09:18:03 pm »
+2
Hey!  ;D
Just a quick question, should the last question (15 marker) in the ancient society section be answered in proper essay form? I find that I tend to write a bit of a hybrid essay (as in I don't really have a clear introduction that introduces my main point, I kinda make a general statement and then bring up all my evidence etc.)

For example this question:
"What does evidence reveal about the structure of Spartan society? In your answer, refer to Source P, other sources, and your own knowledge."

Thanks! (also sorry for the insane amount of questions haha)

For a 15 marker I used proper essay structure, but my intro and conclusion were usually a bit shorter than a full essay. So not one sentence, but whereas in a 25 mark essay my intro would be roughly 100-150 words, for a 15 marker it'd be closer to 75-100 words :) So I'd still make a judgment, briefly explain my judgement and outline my argument.

And never apologise for asking questions! I'm here answering because I genuinely enjoy it haha (+ it's A+ procrastination for my citcomm essay ;) )

2016 HSC: Modern History (18th in NSW) | History Extension (2nd place in the HTA Extension History Essay Prize) | Ancient History | Drama | English Advanced | Studies of Religion I | Economics

Looking for a history tutor? I'm ya girl! Feel free to send me a PM if you're interested!

Maraos

• Trendsetter
« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2017, 09:25:01 pm »
+1
For a 15 marker I used proper essay structure, but my intro and conclusion were usually a bit shorter than a full essay. So not one sentence, but whereas in a 25 mark essay my intro would be roughly 100-150 words, for a 15 marker it'd be closer to 75-100 words :) So I'd still make a judgment, briefly explain my judgement and outline my argument.

And never apologise for asking questions! I'm here answering because I genuinely enjoy it haha (+ it's A+ procrastination for my citcomm essay ;) )
Thanks for the quick response :)
Haha so true so easy to procrastinate on forums
2016 HSC:
Mathematics

2017 HSC:
Physics
Extension 1 Mathematics
Design and Technology
Ancient History
History Extension
English Advanced

ninaangeline

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #35 on: May 21, 2017, 08:42:22 pm »
Hi guys! :)

I need abit of help tackling this particular question in terms of my essay structure.
'Assess the political and religious significance of building programs in this period' (New Kingdom Egypt to the death of Thutmose IV)

Should I make separate paragraphs on each of the Egyptian pharaoh's contribution to the building programs, or make separate paragraphs demonstrating the different ideas of the building program's significance such as the promotion of Amun cult, ideology of kingship and the restoration of past cults, and make examples of the pharaohs's contributions that demonstrate those ideas? *

* I apologise if I am not wording that correctly!

Thankyou!

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #36 on: May 21, 2017, 08:48:36 pm »
+1
Hi guys! :)

I need abit of help tackling this particular question in terms of my essay structure.
'Assess the political and religious significance of building programs in this period' (New Kingdom Egypt to the death of Thutmose IV)

Should I make separate paragraphs on each of the Egyptian pharaoh's contribution to the building programs, or make separate paragraphs demonstrating the different ideas of the building program's significance such as the promotion of Amun cult, ideology of kingship and the restoration of past cults, and make examples of the pharaohs's contributions that demonstrate those ideas? *

* I apologise if I am not wording that correctly!

Thankyou!

Hey! So just a heads up I didn't study this unit (part of me wishes I did though - Ancient Egyptian history is one of my fave!). However, we had a similar question for the Julio-Claudians once (pretty much the exact same hahaha). Personally I think the second structure that you mentioned would be more sophisticated, and you're less likely to start writing a description/narrative. The other essay structure is fine if you are struggling with the more thematic approach, but yeah personally I think focusing on the ideas will produce a much more sophisticated essay! Just make sure that you are still balanced in your discussion of each Pharaoh - you don't necessarily need to mention every single one in each paragraph (for Julio-Claudians i'd usually focus on two per paragraph), but you'll want to get them all in there to demonstrate a thorough and holistic understanding of the period!

Hope this helps!

Susie

leighshapiro

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #37 on: May 22, 2017, 09:05:57 pm »
hi ATAR Notes, I have an essay on the Role of the Army in New Kingdom Egypt to the Death of Thutmose IV and i have no idea how to structure it!!! if anyone could please give me some advice as to some topics i should be discussing i would be extremely grateful :)

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #38 on: May 22, 2017, 09:57:53 pm »
+1
hi ATAR Notes, I have an essay on the Role of the Army in New Kingdom Egypt to the Death of Thutmose IV and i have no idea how to structure it!!! if anyone could please give me some advice as to some topics i should be discussing i would be extremely grateful :)

Hi leighshapiro! Unfortunately I didn't study this topic exactly :( However in my study of the Julio-Claudian Dynasty we often came across pretty much the exact same question :) Over the year I wrote two essays to this very question (obviously in relation to the Julio-Claudians) and both times I used a different structure.

The first time I wrote this essay, I structured my response around the role of the army under the different emperors, so a paragraph on the army under Tiberius, under Gaius, under Claudius and then under Nero, stressing the role of continuity and change. The second time I changed up my structure a bit, and instead looked at it thematically, having a paragraph on each "role" - eg. expansion of the Empire, Consolidation and defence of the Empire, power within the state etc. I'd then link two Emperors to each theme, discussing how they demonstrated (again) continuity and change throughout the period. I received a higher mark for the second essay - so this is the structure that I would recommend (however if you are really stuck, the first structure is still fine). Perhaps the themes I mentioned would work for your topic as well? Where there any significant wars that the army fought during the time that you think are worth a mention?

Sorry I couldn't be of more help content wise, hopefully another New Kingdom Egypt student will find this thread, and be able to help you out too - but I hope you find this useful nonetheless!

Susie
« Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 10:02:05 pm by sudodds »

Angela Karanikolas

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #39 on: June 27, 2017, 02:26:07 pm »
Hi All,
For a practise essay I have the question,
Account for the rivalry and civil war between Octavian and Marc Antony

It is not an assignment, but, it is for my class.
I am aware of their political tensions, Second Triumvirate and previous attitudes towards each other (those will be incorporated within my essay)
But I am unaware of what else I should incorporate into this essay.

Anything would be amazing,
Thank you,
Angela

Diala

• Adventurer
« Reply #40 on: June 29, 2017, 05:27:48 pm »
Hi! I was hoping you could help me with a particular aspect of my historical period. I'm doing New Kingdom Egypt and my assignment is due tomorrow - yes I'm officially screwed - and there's one section where I have to talk about Thutmose III relation to Amun-Re. Now I have looked to the ends of the earth about this section and I can barely write a paragraph. It's worth 10 marks and my teacher's told us there's not a lot to write on it but I have no idea what to do! I have these sheets but they only talk about the priesthood of Amun-Re and the its importance, Hatshepsut's role etc I feel like if I mention those it wont answer the question directly.
Please help!

bearbear

• Adventurer
« Reply #41 on: June 29, 2017, 05:52:11 pm »
+2
Hi All,
For a practise essay I have the question,
Account for the rivalry and civil war between Octavian and Marc Antony

It is not an assignment, but, it is for my class.
I am aware of their political tensions, Second Triumvirate and previous attitudes towards each other (those will be incorporated within my essay)
But I am unaware of what else I should incorporate into this essay.

Anything would be amazing,
Thank you,
Angela
Hi Angela, I think that covers it pretty well, this site might have some helpful info https://savemyatar.wordpress.com/2012/11/01/conflict-between-mark-antony-and-octavian/
Another thing you could mention is how both wanted individual power and how Octavian used Antony's relationship with Cleopatra to make him out as a political enemy, which he then used to strip him of his power.
Hope this helps!  :D

Angela Karanikolas

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #42 on: June 29, 2017, 10:08:57 pm »
+1
Hi Angela, I think that covers it pretty well, this site might have some helpful info https://savemyatar.wordpress.com/2012/11/01/conflict-between-mark-antony-and-octavian/
Another thing you could mention is how both wanted individual power and how Octavian used Antony's relationship with Cleopatra to make him out as a political enemy, which he then used to strip him of his power.
Hope this helps!  :D

Thank you so much,
This website will work a charm. Thank you again for helping me out on this. This will totally come in handy,
Angela

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #43 on: June 29, 2017, 11:15:55 pm »
+1
Hi! I was hoping you could help me with a particular aspect of my historical period. I'm doing New Kingdom Egypt and my assignment is due tomorrow - yes I'm officially screwed - and there's one section where I have to talk about Thutmose III relation to Amun-Re. Now I have looked to the ends of the earth about this section and I can barely write a paragraph. It's worth 10 marks and my teacher's told us there's not a lot to write on it but I have no idea what to do! I have these sheets but they only talk about the priesthood of Amun-Re and the its importance, Hatshepsut's role etc I feel like if I mention those it wont answer the question directly.
Please help!
Hey! Sorry only just saw this question :( Unfortunately I didn't study this unit so I can't really help content wise! If it's not too late I'd have a little look around the notes section to see if any relevant notes have been uploaded. Though I don't know the content pretty much at all, what you were saying doesn't sound like it would be bad to mention? I mean when we did Agrippina relationship questions, we often spoke about similar stuff eg. role of Claudius/Nero/Pallas/Seneca etc. etc. If Thutmose III was critical to Amun-Re's priesthood, or it impacted their relationship in some way, then I think that would definitely be a great thing to mention!

So sorry that this was late, and that I couldn't offer that much constructive advice, however I hope this helps nonetheless! Good luck :D

Susie

sl1402

• Adventurer
« Reply #44 on: July 06, 2017, 11:11:39 am »
Hey guys,

How many pages/words do you recommend to write for this section (10 marker and 15 marker)?