Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 24, 2024, 03:50:01 pm

Author Topic: Alkene and Bromine Water Experiment  (Read 3328 times)  Share 

frog1944

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +2
Alkene and Bromine Water Experiment
« on: May 13, 2017, 05:41:21 pm »
Hi,

For this experiment "identify data, plan and perform a first-hand investigation to compare the reactivities of appropriate alkenes with the corresponding alkanes in bromine water", for my method can I say I used ethane and ethene, but instead of "pouring it in" I bubbled the 2 gases into their corresponding test tubes?
Or is such a method unsuitable for the HSC?

Thanks

MisterNeo

• MOTM: MAY 2017
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +454
Re: Alkene and Bromine Water Experiment
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2017, 01:56:45 am »
+3
Hi,

For this experiment "identify data, plan and perform a first-hand investigation to compare the reactivities of appropriate alkenes with the corresponding alkanes in bromine water", for my method can I say I used ethane and ethene, but instead of "pouring it in" I bubbled the 2 gases into their corresponding test tubes?
Or is such a method unsuitable for the HSC?

Thanks

Hi, I would recommend the normal cyclohexane and cyclohexene experiment because most schools use that method since it is simpler than bubbling.
It is also hazardous using ethane and ethene gas because ethane does not react and will fill up the laboratory unless done under a fume hood. Same with ethene as not all of it will react and can escape. They are also flammable gases.
HSC markers will likely be confused when everyone uses the cycloalkane/ene method and they see an outlier that says ethane.

Hope this helps, I would use the cyclohexane since it is commonly taught. :)

frog1944

• Trendsetter
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2017, 08:03:10 am »
Yeah that make sense. Thank you very much.

Should we know the reaction between cyclohexane and bromine water in the presence of UV light? I've seen that question asked before in a trial exam, but I haven't seen it in a HSC exam (as far as I've currently looked).

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2017, 09:27:24 am »
+1
Yeah that make sense. Thank you very much.

Should we know the reaction between cyclohexane and bromine water in the presence of UV light? I've seen that question asked before in a trial exam, but I haven't seen it in a HSC exam (as far as I've currently looked).
There's no excuse for you to not know it. The band 6 student prepares for every possibility for the exam, including this one.

Additionally, the band 6 students always gets the high marks because he/she remembers to actually put in these equations when describing practicals etc. It shows a more proficient level of understanding.

frog1944

• Trendsetter
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2017, 07:28:48 pm »
Ok, thanks.
How do I know to what extent my knowledge should be? Before doing those trial questions I hadn't seen any thing on the reaction, especially as the dot points don't seem to directly address it.

jakesilove

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Synergising your ATAR potential"
  • Respect: +196
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2017, 12:12:36 pm »
+1
Ok, thanks.
How do I know to what extent my knowledge should be? Before doing those trial questions I hadn't seen any thing on the reaction, especially as the dot points don't seem to directly address it.

The dot point does directly comment on the practical task, so you would be expected to know the chemical reaction. I would recommend looking through some HSC past papers/trial papers, and if there's something you don't know how to answer, look it up! That's the best way to find gaps in your knowledge.
ATAR: 99.80

Mathematics Extension 2: 93
Physics: 93
Chemistry: 93
Modern History: 94
English Advanced: 95
Mathematics: 96
Mathematics Extension 1: 98

Studying a combined Advanced Science/Law degree at UNSW