Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 07:25:20 pm

Author Topic: The Yr12 journey- a diary I "hope" to update...  (Read 22787 times)

KingTings

• MOTM: JULY 19
  • Forum Regular
  • "I'll do it later.."
  • Respect: +15
Re: The Yr12 journey- a diary I "hope" to update...
« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2019, 11:47:31 pm »
+4
Love your dedication and mind set dude! I'm sure you will smash HSC out of the park, and get into med later on.
I envy your drive and perseverance, it's better than most med students and first round achievers I know, who don't work as hard in the long run.
Good luck with your studies! Love the posts  ;D
HSC 2019
Business Studies - Economics - Physics - English Adv. - Maths Adv.

ATAR:
Aim = 92+, Actual = 97.1 ;D

martinstran

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +8
« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2019, 05:14:52 pm »
+6
Your positive attitude and outlook is so inspiring! It's really great to see someone so passionate about their future goals. Since UCAT is percentile based, maybe wait just a little bit before you change up your undergrad uni plan? I'm no med expert, but some of my friends have said that it kinda depends on how the rest of the cohort goes in the exams, so your numerical score might not be the 'be all and end all'. Apply everywhere because you never know what might happen in terms of offers ;D
Good luck (not that you'll need it) on your journey to becoming a doctor!
HSC 2019
ENG (Std) 89 | MX1 98 | MX2 99| ECO 89 | S+C 94 | SOR 1 44 | ATAR: 99

r1ckworthy

• NSW MVP - 2019
  • HSC Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +305
« Reply #32 on: July 10, 2019, 10:46:28 pm »
Love your dedication and mind set dude! I'm sure you will smash HSC out of the park, and get into med later on.
I envy your drive and perseverance, it's better than most med students and first round achievers I know, who don't work as hard in the long run.
Good luck with your studies! Love the posts  ;D

Hey dude, thanks so much! I really love seeing your dedications well in your journal! Super inspiring stuff!! While I would describe myself as lazy, I can see a kind of drive within me than some high round achievers don't have (probably came from seeing my mom work 7-10 mon-sat in India- she's a neurologist). I do need to work harder, thanks so much for the encouragement  ;D ;D ;D

Your positive attitude and outlook is so inspiring! It's really great to see someone so passionate about their future goals. Since UCAT is percentile based, maybe wait just a little bit before you change up your undergrad uni plan? I'm no med expert, but some of my friends have said that it kinda depends on how the rest of the cohort goes in the exams, so your numerical score might not be the 'be all and end all'. Apply everywhere because you never know what might happen in terms of offers ;D
Good luck (not that you'll need it) on your journey to becoming a doctor!

Thank you so much for your kind words! I did get told that by some people, but by looking at cohorts in the previous year (those in the UK) I ended up passing 60th percentile which is not great for gaining a med interview. However that may not be the outcome- maybe everyone did terrible since this is the first year- although I do think that is very unlikely. I will try to apply everywhere, although I will leave my top preference to be advanced science or something similar to that, not too sure about this but I’ll update in the coming months! Again, thank you so much for your kind words, really made my night ;D ;D ;D. Your journal is high on the to-do list of things to read in ATARnotes  ;D, caught a sneak peak yesterday and it looks pretty awesome!
« Last Edit: July 10, 2019, 10:48:05 pm by r1ckworthy »
HSC 2019: English Advanced || Mathematics || Mathematics Extension 1 || Physics || Chemistry || Science Extension || Ancient History ||

Bachelor of Physiotherapy @ ACU

The Yr12 journey- a diary I "hope" to update... || Halfway through Year 12... lessons I've learned so far. || Check out my youtube channel!

r1ckworthy

• NSW MVP - 2019
  • HSC Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #33 on: July 15, 2019, 12:39:57 am »
+10
Heyooo,

Just got to unleash some heavy stuff on my mind right now.
Spoiler
So I started to think about this stuff (which I will get onto later) when I just about finished my English assessment (which is due tomorrow). And I felt myself being kind of lazy, like I just felt like not finishing it to be honest. During that time I kept reminding myself that high achiever, 99'ers, need to work hard and give everything their best shot, at all times. But I just felt kind of tired, like I just felt like not doing it. I kept comparing myself to others to be honest. Like I just kept envisioning the teachers saying,"you had a great story but you just don't have the skill to write." That became kind of painful, and part of the reason on why that put me off.
Fast forward to when I printed everything off and went to bed, I just randomly put into the search bar on YouTube on my iPad,"Zion Williamson story". For those who don't know, Zion was just recently drafted into NBA, and is superfamous for his athleticism. I felt like I was a bit burnt out and needed some inspiration. There was a mini-documentary about him, and I started to watch it. I rewatched that three times.
What I want to talk about is my ambition, and my selfishness. During my younger years, I had always wanted to win, right, I was always the kid who imagined himself winning prizes on stage, being the centre of attention, that kind of stuff. And I am still kind of that, I don't know, some of that thinking is still ingrained inside me.
And it was super painful to see it turn out the other way. One year, we were in a school assembly and the principal started to hand out awards to some of the kids in my class, ones that I thought weren't necessarily as smart as me. I broke down during that assembly, tears almost streaming down my face.
And that kind of ambition, that habit of imagining oneself succeeding can become so crippling. And that kind of thinking still dominates me. I always feel as if I am a really smart and gifted person, like I would imagine myself getting all state ranks for all my subjects, stupid shit like that.
It hurts so much when the other version plays out. Having to walk up and tell your parents for the millionth time that my report grades weren't good enough. It hurts so much. And to have high-achieving parents, both successful doctors in their fields, does not help at all.
"Look at the gap between me and my parents." That kind of thinking dominates me most of the time.
Some of what Bri MT said in her previous posts here helped me a little bit to realise that there is more to existence than marks. There is more to life than status, reputation, marks etc.

There is more to life than marks.
I need to start retraining myself to have no or minimal expectations with events. I need to stop being selfish, always holding myself in my head as the centre of attention and just fucking live in the present moment. I need to stop thinking about stuff in the future and just start living in the now, no matter how cringe that sounds.
I just need to let go of my needing to imagine / control my future, and just let it be.  I just need to let go of that tiny, criticising voice in my head that yells at me every single time some miniscule thing goes wrong. I need to be more calm and just live in the present moment. To stop overthinking, and just exist,
I guess that is my problem. Overthinking.

If you are reading this far, sorry for babbling random shit, I'm just writing what comes to mind.

We all just need to take a deep breath in sometimes and let things be as they are. Just calm down and stop listening to the voice in our heads. We need to be more stoic. We need to stop acting as if there is always conflict in our lives, which there isn't. We just need to gradually learn that our life will not be interesting sometimes unless we make it. We need to stop overthinking and takes things a little serious, but mostly fun. We need to be more light hearted with ourself. We just need to breathe and just smile.
We need to convince ourself that our lives are no movies. We are human beings, and for some odd reason we are here on this planet breathing and just experiencing the world. For some reason we are here on this planet, an atom when compared to the universe, and we are here to experience, to feel emotions, gain wonder and just be. Our lives do not need to be filled with conflict, drama or stress unless we make it to be. Every experience is within our control, and we get to choose whether we perceive it as good or bad.
I need to just calm down and just experience things in the present. I need to stop taking myself seriously and just have god damn fun doing the stuff I love. I need to convince myself that this is not a bad experience, as I have made it out to be. I get to choose whether it will be a bad experience or not.
We need to stop taking ourself seriously, stop comparing ourselves and just keep going. We get to decide what our future actions will be. We get to decide whether this will be a good bad experience. We get to choose whether to be scared of our thoughts, our naive surface level thoughts or let them be just as they are. We need to start recognising our thoughts as clouds in the sky, and we need to let them pass by.

Don't know about you,but thateels much better. Guess I need to keep reminding myself of this more and more.
HSC 2019: English Advanced || Mathematics || Mathematics Extension 1 || Physics || Chemistry || Science Extension || Ancient History ||

The Yr12 journey- a diary I "hope" to update... || Halfway through Year 12... lessons I've learned so far. || Check out my youtube channel!

r1ckworthy

• NSW MVP - 2019
  • HSC Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2019, 04:04:52 pm »
+8
Heyooo,

Trials are starting next week so I thought I would make a video. Guess who spent the majority of yesterday making the video? ME. Hope y'all enjoy ;D

Evolio

• MOTM: MAY 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +485
« Reply #35 on: August 02, 2019, 04:37:47 pm »
+4
Hey rick1worthy!
Loving your journal entries!
This video journal was particularly enjoyable to watch! Loved the funny parts as well! ;D

I feel behind in everything.
Same! I thought it was just me! I feel behind in basically all of the aspects of my life! I feel behind in all my subjects and my extracurriculars and just me personally. When I don't feel that great, I think about how far I've come and what I've achieved so far. You should do this too! Trust me, it'll help. As someone once said ' Success is a journey not a destination'.

I'm not working as hard as I should
This is my everyday and it's tearing my soul apart. It's great that you're planning ahead and have battle plans for each subject! It really shows that you've been thinking about your weaknesses and how you can make them your strengths!

You can do it! Have faith and confidence in yourself! I know you have the strength to keep pushing until trials! You will succeed! I believe in you!  :)

All the best for trials!
 :)

r1ckworthy

• NSW MVP - 2019
  • HSC Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #36 on: August 02, 2019, 05:19:31 pm »
+2
Hey Evolio!!

Thanks for watching the video entry! Glad you enjoyed it!

When I don't feel that great, I think about how far I've come and what I've achieved so far. You should do this too! Trust me, it'll help. As someone once said ' Success is a journey not a destination'.

That is a valid point, I will definitely consider this. It can just get so overwhelming at times, you know what I mean? But we often forget that the journey is still occurring, all we have to do is to keep moving ;D

You can do it! Have faith and confidence in yourself! I know you have the strength to keep pushing until trials! You will succeed! I believe in you!  :)

Thank you so much. I hope I will push myself too, and hope everything pays off. Thanks once again for replying! Really appreciate it. Your journal posts have been so inspiring, hope to see more of them!
« Last Edit: August 02, 2019, 07:39:50 pm by r1ckworthy »

DrDusk

• NSW MVP - 2019
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +130
« Reply #37 on: August 02, 2019, 06:03:53 pm »
+3
Good luck for your trials, go on smash them (especially Physics) ;).

If you have any questions make sure to ask us on the Physics forum. I love answering questions.

r1ckworthy

• NSW MVP - 2019
  • HSC Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #38 on: August 02, 2019, 07:39:15 pm »
+2
Good luck for your trials, go on smash them (especially Physics) ;).

If you have any questions make sure to ask us on the Physics forum. I love answering questions.

Thanks so much! I hope I smash physics too ;D

I'll definitely make sure to ask questions if I have them. I really appreciate you taking the time to answer questions! Seeing your presence on the board is super inspiring ;D

Snow Leopard

• MOTM: SEP 19
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +196
« Reply #39 on: August 02, 2019, 07:53:19 pm »
What'd you think of Emma (by Jane Austen?)

r1ckworthy

• NSW MVP - 2019
  • HSC Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #40 on: August 02, 2019, 09:21:19 pm »
+3
What'd you think of Emma (by Jane Austen?)

Emma is a really powerful novel. At first, I found it hard to understand, and it was confusing and I didn't know half the time what was happening. I was at first disengaged with the text. But as soon as I started to understand (with the help of lit charts ;D) the novel began to have a transformative effect on me. I think with Emma, right, we see her commit these absolutely cruel decisions based on class and prejudice, as well as being mislead by her ginormous pride. We come to hate her, as we see her actions detrimentally crippling those around there. But what Austen does is that she takes all the shitty things Emma has done and punched it right up-to her face, pulling her in situations where she is forced to see herself being wrong, and her pride destroyed in a moment. Slowly, Austen reveals Emma thinking rationally for herself, eventually becoming kind and the type of character we esteem. Chapters 40-55 (the last chapters) are just so powerful in the way Austen reveals Emma to be learning and applying her new-found wisdom in situations where she would have done so otherwise if she were to retain her pride. We see, very slowly, the transformation of a character. Not only that, we also empathise with Emma's regret and sorrow for what she has done. Chapter 44 is especially so powerful towards the end, as Austen so powerfully show how Emma comes to realise her mistake, her deep cruel mistake. I think most people will relate to it so much. I relate with Emma so much towards the end of the novel, seeing her regretful and extremely sorrowful of her mistakes and resolving to do better. It was powerful how Austen wrote these few chapters. I think what is trying to be communicated as well is how we should come to accept individuals. While they have committed mistakes, mistakes that might scar someone, we must recognise that they have learned from the experience, and we should, we must, accept them. This doesn't mean to forgive them completely of their deed; it is to accept their change of heart, and to recognise their efforts in attempts to reverse their mistakes. Mistakes are etched into history; we can never change them. What we can do is to learn from them and move on, becoming better individuals in the future. This is what happened to Emma, communicated so powerfully through Austen's writing.

I hope that rambling wasn't boring, I really enjoyed the text (will try to read it in full after trial exams!!). It's my favourite book in year 12 English, and I'm glad our teacher has chosen it.

Snow Leopard

• MOTM: SEP 19
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +196
« Reply #41 on: August 02, 2019, 09:36:46 pm »
Emma is a really powerful novel. At first, I found it hard to understand, and it was confusing and I didn't know half the time what was happening. I was at first disengaged with the text. But as soon as I started to understand (with the help of lit charts ;D) the novel began to have a transformative effect on me. I think with Emma, right, we see her commit these absolutely cruel decisions based on class and prejudice, as well as being mislead by her ginormous pride. We come to hate her, as we see her actions detrimentally crippling those around there. But what Austen does is that she takes all the shitty things Emma has done and punched it right up-to her face, pulling her in situations where she is forced to see herself being wrong, and her pride destroyed in a moment. Slowly, Austen reveals Emma thinking rationally for herself, eventually becoming kind and the type of character we esteem. Chapters 40-55 (the last chapters) are just so powerful in the way Austen reveals Emma to be learning and applying her new-found wisdom in situations where she would have done so otherwise if she were to retain her pride. We see, very slowly, the transformation of a character. Not only that, we also empathise with Emma's regret and sorrow for what she has done. Chapter 44 is especially so powerful towards the end, as Austen so powerfully show how Emma comes to realise her mistake, her deep cruel mistake. I think most people will relate to it so much. I relate with Emma so much towards the end of the novel, seeing her regretful and extremely sorrowful of her mistakes and resolving to do better. It was powerful how Austen wrote these few chapters. I think what is trying to be communicated as well is how we should come to accept individuals. While they have committed mistakes, mistakes that might scar someone, we must recognise that they have learned from the experience, and we should, we must, accept them. This doesn't mean to forgive them completely of their deed; it is to accept their change of heart, and to recognise their efforts in attempts to reverse their mistakes. Mistakes are etched into history; we can never change them. What we can do is to learn from them and move on, becoming better individuals in the future. This is what happened to Emma, communicated so powerfully through Austen's writing.

I hope that rambling wasn't boring, I really enjoyed the text (will try to read it in full after trial exams!!). It's my favourite book in year 12 English, and I'm glad our teacher has chosen it.
No that was great actually!
I never really delved as deeply into it when I read it as you did.

DrDusk

• NSW MVP - 2019
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #42 on: August 02, 2019, 09:44:12 pm »
+1

I can't believe you actually enjoyed something from English haha.

My English lessons were mostly my teacher yelling at me to do my work and taking away my laptop when she caught me not doing English, because I would just be doing Physics.

r1ckworthy

• NSW MVP - 2019
  • HSC Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #43 on: August 02, 2019, 09:53:46 pm »
+3
No that was great actually!
I never really delved as deeply into it when I read it as you did.

I am kind of forced to delve deeper into the text as of the module being 'critical study of literature' so that is when I became fascinated with the novel. If I had read it out of my free time, I probably wouldn't have gotten so much out of it ;D.

I can't believe you actually enjoyed something from English haha.

My English lessons were mostly my teacher yelling at me to do my work and taking away my laptop when she caught me not doing English, because I would just be doing Physics.

Hahaha, I think this novel is the only thing I enjoyed to be honest, I hate/ am annoyed by the other modules. Same, I used to do my assignments at the back, totally zoned out from some lessons- English teachers, while sometimes insightful, just seem to blab on endlessly ;D ;D ;D

DrDusk

• NSW MVP - 2019
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #44 on: August 02, 2019, 11:20:20 pm »
Also I just watched your video, and as it turns out we basically have the same first name, what is this lol