Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 25, 2024, 03:16:51 pm

Author Topic: What are your tips/tricks to help maximise your marks?  (Read 2149 times)  Share 

palebluedot

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
What are your tips/tricks to help maximise your marks?
« on: October 01, 2018, 06:20:55 pm »
HSC is coming up! and i was just wondering, is there any advice/tips you could offer to help us do the best in our essays? (both question 1 and 2)

Thanks!

katie,rinos

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1151
Re: What are your tips/tricks to help maximise your marks?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2018, 05:56:09 pm »
+5
HSC is coming up! and i was just wondering, is there any advice/tips you could offer to help us do the best in our essays? (both question 1 and 2)

Thanks!
Hey,

General
- Make sure you spend some time planning before you start your essay. I tried to spend at least 10 minutes planning.
- Make sure that you are referencing the source and answering the question throughout your essay.
- Analytical Essay-Try to have a strong judgement. Understand both the positives and negatives so you can critically evaluate the historians.
- Know some key quotes: for both sections.
- Practice! Try to practice both with open book and in exam conditions. If you don’t want to do a full essay, try to do some essay plans or just break down the sources. 

Section 1
- No Chronological essays: it’s harder to incorporate your own voice. Try to have paragraphs based on themes.
- Try to know some of the key debates so that you might be able to put them in your essays to support your arguments (e.g history a science/literature, can history be objective, academic v. popular history, is history fiction, who owns history?).

Section 2
- Make sure you know your historians well (e.g their interpretations, methodology, context, title of books, etc.). I tried to know at least one of the historians from each of the 3 schools in detail.
- I tried to link the historians from different schools.

Hope this helps! If anyone has other tips feel free to contribute! :D
« Last Edit: October 03, 2018, 06:01:06 pm by katie,rinos »
Class of 2017 (Year 12): Advanced English, General Maths, Legal Studies, Music 1, Ancient History, History Extension, Hospitality
2018-2022: B Music/B Education (Secondary) [UNSW]