Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 11:49:16 pm

Author Topic: VCE Biology Question Thread  (Read 3570497 times)  Share 

randomnobody69420

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
Re: VCE Biology Question Thread
« Reply #11085 on: October 28, 2018, 09:49:20 pm »

It’s in mRNA, so the answer has to have U instead of A :)
And then it says in the last triplet there was a mutation; GUU would be non mutated cos G is complementary to C, so it would have to be AUU where A was where G should be...

Hope that makes sense  :D

Mod edit (PF): Merged posts

But you're transcribing the complementary sequence of the original DNA sequence right? Not the original sequence.

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
  • Respect: +3102
« Reply #11086 on: October 28, 2018, 10:30:16 pm »
+8
Hi, so a few more questions, sorry!
 1. In relation to recombinant plasmids, as the genetic markers like antibiotic resistance or ampicillin resistance already in the plasmid or are they inserted by us?
2. How much detail do we need to know about glucose? Like, do we need to know about how to glucose enters the cells and about its structure and stuff?
3. Does the lac operon require ATP at all?
4. Do prokaryotes undergo aerobic respiration too? If so, where does this occur?
5. When talking about the location of the light dependent reaction, is it best to say on the grana/granum, or on thylakoid membrane or thylakoid disks or in the thylakoids?
6. Which ions should we talk about if we are asked which are involved in the transmission of an action potential? The 2016 Insights exam asked (MC 15)
Which of the following ions are repsonsible for the transmission of an action potential allong an axon:
A. Calcium and sodium
B. Sodium and potassium
C. Potassium and Calcium
D. Sodium, potassium aand calcium

The correct answer was B, but when I looked it up on the internet, some sites said that calcium was involved as well.

Thank you!  ;D
1. Naturally occurring, because then a gene can be inserted in the middle of the antibiotic resistance gene, and if the plasmid is no longer resistant then you know it successfully took up the gene

2. Need to know its chemical formula (C6H12O6) and that it's a large polar molecule.

3. I think not (at least not for the lactose to bind to the repressor and remove it). You don't need to know if it does or not though.

4. Some do, some don't. Those that do use their plasma membrane (remember that mitochondria were once thought to be free living bacteria). Doubt you need to know for VCE though.

5. VCAA has said grana before so I would go with that (2012 exam 1 Q8)

6. You won't be asked about it, it's not on the study design anymore.

Also do you need to know the functions of plant hormones?
As for plant hormones, they're useful to know but I don't think there's too much emphasis on it now compared to previous study designs.
You definitely don't need to know the functions of any specific plant hormones.

3) Do T cells have specialized naive cells or are they general? (Basically, are there generalist naive T cells that differentiate into their specialties or are there naive T helper and naive cytotoxic T cells?)
3. Not relevant to VCE.
Vox is right that it's not relevant, but I think it might affect how you word your answer, so I'm going to answer it anyway :P
Once T cells have matured and leave the thymus they are either Th or Tc cells.

Can anyone explain how to interpret the phylogenic tree in the 2017 exam MCQ32? Thanks!
When I did this question I didn't really use the phylogenetic tree except for age. You don't need to use the info on the right to answer it. So from the tree you can see that the order from oldest to youngest is R-S-T-U (evolved first-evolved last).
So then you just have to look at the possible answers.
Which of the following shows the correct placement of the organisms on the phylogenetic tree?
A.     R – animals, S – plants, T – bacteria, U – protists
B.    R – bacteria, S – protists, T – plants, U – animals
C.    R – protists, S – animals, T – bacteria, U – plants
D.    R – plants, S – animals, T – bacteria, U – protists
Obviously neither animals or plants were the first to evolve, so we can strike out options A and D.
Animals evolved before bacteria, which means option C is incorrect. Leaving just the correct answer of option B.

1) When describing Interferon, is it ample to say that it just 'slows the spread of viral particles through the use of antiviral enzymes and recruitment of natural killer cells'?
Yeah, I'd say that's enough (interferon is actually really cool if you ever have time to learn more about it haha)

But you're transcribing the complementary sequence of the original DNA sequence right? Not the original sequence.
Is this a VCAA question?
I agree with you that the way they've worded it (with the part about it being the complementary strand that is being transcribed) that the answer should be B.

I'm pretty sure that I've answered all the questions that got missed earlier, let me know if I skipped any :)
2019: B. Environment and Sustainability/B. Science @ ANU
2020: Just Vibing
2021: B. Paramedicine/B. Nursing @ ACU Canberra

galaxy21

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +23
« Reply #11087 on: October 29, 2018, 06:49:20 am »
1. Naturally occurring, because then a gene can be inserted in the middle of the antibiotic resistance gene, and if the plasmid is no longer resistant then you know it successfully took up the gene
Thank you so much!
With this, don't you test to find the transformed plasmids by placing them in an agar plate with whatever they are meant to be resistant to to find the ones that are transformed?
Like if a bacteria had antibiotic resistance gene, dont they get put into an environment where antibiotics are present, and if they can survive, then they are recombinant? Otherwise would you not just be left with the untransformed bacteria as all of those that are transformed are dead?
2018 - Biology, Further
2019 - English, Chemistry, Methods, Health and Human Development
2020 - Bachelor of Science (Melbourne Uni)

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
« Reply #11088 on: October 29, 2018, 07:04:31 am »
+1
Thank you so much!
With this, don't you test to find the transformed plasmids by placing them in an agar plate with whatever they are meant to be resistant to to find the ones that are transformed?
Like if a bacteria had antibiotic resistance gene, dont they get put into an environment where antibiotics are present, and if they can survive, then they are recombinant? Otherwise would you not just be left with the untransformed bacteria as all of those that are transformed are dead?
Lol I always fuck this up 😂
Yeah you’re right. After the gene has been inserted into the plasmid, you can test which bacteria have taken up a plasmid by putting them on an agar plate with antibiotics.

Erutepa

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Forum Leader
  • evenin'
  • Respect: +775
« Reply #11089 on: October 29, 2018, 07:21:06 am »
+3
With this, don't you test to find the transformed plasmids by placing them in an agar plate with whatever they are meant to be resistant to find the ones that are transformed?
Like if a bacteria had an antibiotic resistance gene, don't they get put into an environment where antibiotics are present, and if they can survive, then they are recombinant? Otherwise would you not just be left with the untransformed bacteria as all of those that are transformed are dead?
Ideally what you would want to do is have a plasmid which has two antibiotic resistances (ampicillin and tetracycline for example). You would recombine the plasmid by inserting a gene within one of the antibiotic resistance genes (let's say ampicillin) which would thus, disrupt the gene and prevent its expression, while tetracycline is left intact. Then the recombinant plasmids are transformed into the bacteria.
Two things can commonly go wrong here:
1. The desired gene is not taken up by the plasmid
2. The plasmids are not taken up by the bacteria.
In order to obtain colonies of the successfully transformed bacteria, the bacteria are grown on a plate which (for our example) contains tetracycline. As our plasmid contains the tetracycline resistance, only bacteria containing the plasmid will grow. The remaining bacteria and this known to have the plasmid, but it is not known if they contain the gene in their plasmid. Now a copy of that plate is made (by pressing another plate on it such that identical colonies grow) and this second plate contains ampicillin. On this second plate, all the bacteria containing the gene of interest in their plasmid will die (as it disrupts ampicillin gene). By comparing the second plate to the first, the colonies absent on the second plate that are present of the first are those which contain the desired gene and can be extracted and grown further.
Hope this helps with explaining the process. :)
Qualifications
 > Have counted to 227
 > Can draw really good spiders
 > 2 Poet points
 > 6.5 insanipi points
 > 1 Bri MT point

EllingtonFeint

• Trendsetter
  • Offering private tutoring ✨
  • Respect: +24
« Reply #11090 on: October 29, 2018, 09:41:51 am »
Do we need to know specific types of neurons such as excitatory and inhibitory?

Cells will swell and burst in necrosis, right?

does a condensation reaction occur when phospholipids are being formed?
Biology 🌱 [49] |  English [47]

Surviving and Succeeding in Biology:
https://atarnotes.com/forum/index.php?topic=187145.msg1129188

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
« Reply #11091 on: October 29, 2018, 11:03:28 am »
+1
1. Do we need to know specific types of neurons such as excitatory and inhibitory?

2. Cells will swell and burst in necrosis, right?

3. does a condensation reaction occur when phospholipids are being formed?
1. No

2. Yes, but you don’t need to know about necrosis

3. I’ve heard different things about this. I doubt it’ll come up in the exam, and if it does I think they’ll give you a diagram that clearly shows what’s going on (so maybe they’ll show a water molecule being formed or something like that).
Apparently most people think it’s a condensation reaction, but someone (I think Douchy?) argues that it’s not and that it’s actually phosphate detaching not H2O.

Azim.m

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +1
VCE Biology Question Thread
« Reply #11092 on: October 29, 2018, 12:54:29 pm »
Would rough endoplasmic reticulum be a correct answer?
Btw are ribosomes even organelles? Because they are not membrane enclosed

vox nihili

• National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +1447
« Reply #11093 on: October 29, 2018, 01:00:01 pm »

Personally I think they should accept it, but it appears as though they won't.

Ribosomes are organelles
2013-15: BBiomed (Biochemistry and Molecular Biology), UniMelb
2016-20: MD, UniMelb
2019-20: MPH, UniMelb
2021-: GDipBiostat, USyd

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Respect: +2103
« Reply #11094 on: October 29, 2018, 01:02:26 pm »
+1
Unlikely for rough ER to be correct as it is basically ER studded with ribosomes. The ribosome is the actual place that protein synthesis occurs.
Yeah ribosomes are organelles - but they are not a membrane bound organelle

galaxy21

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +23
« Reply #11095 on: October 29, 2018, 05:51:19 pm »
+4
does a condensation reaction occur when phospholipids are being formed?
Apparently most people think it’s a condensation reaction, but someone (I think Douchy?) argues that it’s not and that it’s actually phosphate detaching not H2O.

Yeah, Douchy says this but I am pretty sure it is just referring to when nucleotides join to make DNA. He says that the nucleotide has 3 phosphate groups when it is not attached, and during nucleotide polymerisation, it loses 2 of these phosphate.
If you have edrolo and want to check it out, its the video called nucleotide polymerisation in the DNA & RNA section.
From memory, he mentions it in his podcast as well, and he said something about how he contacted VCAA about it and it was a common misconception even in most textbooks and from most teachers, and because of this, it is very unlikely to come up in an exam.
2018 - Biology, Further
2019 - English, Chemistry, Methods, Health and Human Development
2020 - Bachelor of Science (Melbourne Uni)

vox nihili

• National Moderator
  • Respect: +1447
« Reply #11096 on: October 29, 2018, 06:01:44 pm »
+4
Yeah, Douchy says this but I am pretty sure it is just referring to when nucleotides join to make DNA. He says that the nucleotide has 3 phosphate groups when it is not attached, and during nucleotide polymerisation, it loses 2 of these phosphate.
If you have edrolo and want to check it out, its the video called nucleotide polymerisation in the DNA & RNA section.
From memory, he mentions it in his podcast as well, and he said something about how he contacted VCAA about it and it was a common misconception even in most textbooks and from most teachers, and because of this, it is very unlikely to come up in an exam.

This is a really good point I hadn't considered before.

For the purposes of VCE, it's best to stick with the idea that it's a condensation reaction. Indeed, if you google this, most resources will tell you that nucleotide polymerisation involves a condensation reaction (you can get plenty of diagrams from reasonable sources that corroborate this to boot).

Interesting point indeed, but one that I think everyone sitting the exam should ignore at this point!
2013-15: BBiomed (Biochemistry and Molecular Biology), UniMelb
2016-20: MD, UniMelb
2019-20: MPH, UniMelb
2021-: GDipBiostat, USyd

EllingtonFeint

• Trendsetter
« Reply #11097 on: October 29, 2018, 06:26:26 pm »
This is a really good point I hadn't considered before.

For the purposes of VCE, it's best to stick with the idea that it's a condensation reaction. Indeed, if you google this, most resources will tell you that nucleotide polymerisation involves a condensation reaction (you can get plenty of diagrams from reasonable sources that corroborate this to boot).

Interesting point indeed, but one that I think everyone sitting the exam should ignore at this point!

Yeah, I think I heard something from the Douchy podcast.

Thank you to all who replied :)

Q. 15
I thought that complement proteins signal for other cells to come and destroy pathogens?

Q. 1
Why would the oxygen levels go down? Isn’t this an anaerobic respiration?

Mod edit (PF): Merged post
« Last Edit: October 29, 2018, 10:26:04 pm by PhoenixxFire »

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
« Reply #11098 on: October 29, 2018, 06:30:01 pm »
+2
Q. 15
I thought that complement proteins signal for other cells to come and destroy pathogens?

Q. 1
Why would the oxygen levels go down? Isn’t this an anaerobic respiration?
15. Complement proteins can create holes in bacterial cells that cause their death (only bacteria though)

1. It would be both. Initially it would be aerobic which is why the oxygen goes down. The container is sealed, so it initially has oxygen in it which can be used for aerobic respiration. Then he oxygen would get too low as no new oxygen can get in, and then anaerobic respiration would occur which is what produces the ethanol.

EllingtonFeint

• Trendsetter
« Reply #11099 on: October 29, 2018, 06:39:18 pm »
15. Complement proteins can create holes in bacterial cells that cause their death (only bacteria though)

1. It would be both. Initially it would be aerobic which is why the oxygen goes down. The container is sealed, so it initially has oxygen in it which can be used for aerobic respiration. Then he oxygen would get too low as no new oxygen can get in, and then anaerobic respiration would occur which is what produces the ethanol.

Any other functions of complement proteins??

Oh! So yeast will also aerobically respirate? Will they produce an overall of 30-38 ATP also?