Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 06:28:15 am

Author Topic: ATAR will be the death of me :)  (Read 32539 times)

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
Re: ATAR will be the death of me :)
« Reply #45 on: February 19, 2020, 05:04:07 pm »
+2
I'm not familiar with that particular award, but definitely agree on the "no harm in applying" sentiment! Hope it goes well - keep us updated irrespective of whether or not you make the application. :)

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

K.Smithy

• QLD MVP - 2019
  • QCE Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
  • "We are the cosmos made conscious." B.C. (she/her)
  • Respect: +396
« Reply #46 on: February 19, 2020, 09:29:36 pm »
+2
I'm not familiar with that particular award, but definitely agree on the "no harm in applying" sentiment! Hope it goes well - keep us updated irrespective of whether or not you make the application. :)

Thanks Nick! I'll definitely keep y'all posted, at this stage it looks like I will be applying. I should hopefully submit my application within the next few days :)
I already have one reference (my psychology teacher) and tomorrow my bio teacher (who is also my school's learning enrichment coordinator) will fill out a form with his details. He also offered to help me write my 1000 word statement about why I should be a recipient (which is awesome because i don't know what I'm doing! ;D)

I'm definitely trying to get out of my comfort zone this year. There is a quote by Trevor Noah that I like to remind myself of a lot, and it goes: “We spend so much time being afraid of failure, afraid of rejection. But regret is the thing we should fear most." I would have a lot of regret in my life if I didn't get out of my comfort zone from time to time; I think if I don't apply for this I will regret it down the line.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2020, 10:34:38 pm by K.Smithy »
QCE 2020: Physics (92) || Psychology (96) || Biology (93) || Methods (79) || English (98) || SOR (91)
ATAR: 98.40
2021-2024: Bachelor of Advanced Science (Honours) @ UQ

Uni Journal ; U3 Bio ; U3 Psych ; U3 Physics

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #47 on: February 20, 2020, 11:07:40 am »
+2
Thanks Nick! I'll definitely keep y'all posted, at this stage it looks like I will be applying. I should hopefully submit my application within the next few days :)
I already have one reference (my psychology teacher) and tomorrow my bio teacher (who is also my school's learning enrichment coordinator) will fill out a form with his details. He also offered to help me write my 1000 word statement about why I should be a recipient (which is awesome because i don't know what I'm doing! ;D)

I'm definitely trying to get out of my comfort zone this year. There is a quote by Trevor Noah that I like to remind myself of a lot, and it goes: “We spend so much time being afraid of failure, afraid of rejection. But regret is the thing we should fear most." I would have a lot of regret in my life if I didn't get out of my comfort zone from time to time; I think if I don't apply for this I will regret it down the line.

On a similar note something I heard in uni is that if you're never failing or receiving "no" as an answer you aren't pushing yourself to your potential.

I'm not familiar with the award but regardless of whether the award recognises it, you're an excellent science student from what I've seen :D

K.Smithy

• QLD MVP - 2019
  • QCE Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #48 on: February 20, 2020, 03:37:57 pm »
On a similar note something I heard in uni is that if you're never failing or receiving "no" as an answer you aren't pushing yourself to your potential.

So true! It's only through failing and rejection (and receiving "no") that we experience personal growth

I'm not familiar with the award but regardless of whether the award recognises it, you're an excellent science student from what I've seen :D

Thank you so much! :)
QCE 2020: Physics (92) || Psychology (96) || Biology (93) || Methods (79) || English (98) || SOR (91)

K.Smithy

• QLD MVP - 2019
  • QCE Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #49 on: February 29, 2020, 03:03:36 pm »
+5
Consider application submitted ;D Now we wait... until the 14th of August....  :o

K.Smithy

• QLD MVP - 2019
  • QCE Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #50 on: March 23, 2020, 08:44:00 pm »
+6
I feel like I haven't been on in ages! So, it's obviously time for an update.
It's been stressful. If grade 12 isn't already anxiety-inducing enough, just chuck a global pandemic on top...

I had to do a very embarrassing presentation on washing hands at the last whole college assembly... I made a video the night before I presented and showed people the effects of improper hand washing technique. And then I got a whole heap of student leaders up on the stage to do the motions of washing hands while the Happy Birthday song was played in the background. The kids loved it - they were singing along and dancing. It was hella embarrassing for me. My school also decided to post the video I made to their Facebook and Instagram accounts... RIP to me

We are all currently awaiting the news regarding whether or not QLD schools will be shut down - all my teachers are assuming that it will happen very soon. I think that because NSW and VIC have decided to make the call, QLD will follow (I'm just hoping it happens before my maths exam next Monday).

It's been a bit heckers tho. Teachers are having meetings every single day to try and organise this online learning thing for when schools get shut. Everyone is a bit anxious.

I my weekly leadership meeting tomorrow. The point of discussion will be around COVID-19 and how we, as leaders, will handle it. All of our events and activities have been canceled (all sporting, dance, music, academic and social extracurriculars). We have also cancelled school camps, retreats, excursions, Anzac Day services, masses, liturgies, assemblies, cohort meetings.... Everyone must be 1.5 metres away from each other at all times. There must be no sharing of food or any items (whether it be a soccer ball or a pencil). And everyone must sanitise their hands upon entering and leaving a classroom. Any items that are shared must be disinfected after every use (e.g. sewing machines, pianos, guitars...).
So yeah, we need to figure out what we can do if, hypothetically, school stays open but restrictions are still in place.
We also need to figure out what we can do to support students if school moves online. I'm really hoping we can figure out some activities to keep the mood light during this stressful period.

But anyways... we'll have to see how things go.

I also have received some results from recent assessment.
I got an 18/20 on my PSMT - which I'm not very happy with, as I received a 19 last year (I know it is only 1 off, but I was really hoping to maintain that grade as I don't think I will do well this year because of my teacher)...
However, we have had some issues with marking. My teacher was marking very unfairly and was super inconsistent.
It was really bad - one of my friends received a 17/20 last year, but dropped down to a 10/20 this year... not ideal!
We got them all re-marked and some peoples' grades improved slightly. Mine stayed the same, but my teacher has been unable to justify to me why I have been marked down.

In happier news... I received a 20/20 for my physics student experiment! Despite having sucky data!!! This puts me at a total of 30/30 - 100% for Unit 3! Now I just need to tackle unit 4, which I am very keen about because relativity and quantum mechanics are my jam ;D

So, what's up and coming?
- my English final is due tomorrow. I am very stressed about it as I would like to receive a 24/25 for this task, but I don't know if I will... feature articles just ain't my thing..
- my SOR final is due on Wednesday. I am feeling ok about it... I am aiming, once again, for a 24/25... but Idk. I'm writing about how Hinduism influences adherents' ethical positions on embryonic stem cell research - which is very interesting! But for the first time in my life, I am under the word count. So I need to spend tonight and tomorrow beefing it up.
- my bio final (which I have to start tonight  :o) is due on Thursday.. I'm feeling ok. I have some solid research, and I am not a stranger to writing bio assignments the night before it is due.. While it isn't ideal.. I think I will be alright. I'm aiming for a 20/20 - but we'll see how this goes.
- my maths exam is on Monday (low-key hoping school gets shut down so I don't have to do it - I don't anything!!!)... I was aiming for a 14/15, as I would really like to improve my performance in methods this year, but I don't think this will happen. If I get a 12/15 I will be ecstatic.

OOOh, I also registered for the online AN lectures which I am keen about :)

Thats all I have for now. I feel like the next couple of days will be eventful, so who knows... maybe I'll have another update tomorrow.

I hope you are all doing well and are staying healthy!!!
« Last Edit: May 11, 2020, 05:26:43 pm by K.Smithy »

K.Smithy

• QLD MVP - 2019
  • QCE Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #51 on: May 11, 2020, 05:25:43 pm »
+5
Lol, been a while ;D How are you all??

So.. My maths exam did not end up getting pushed back - despite schools being shut down. My class still had to come in to sit the exam - was not fun.
The exam itself was quite easy, nothing too difficult. I was a bit bummed because I studied literally everything that wasn't on the exam but hardly anything that was (whoops).
At the start of the year, I was aiming for a 14/15. Then, with everything that has happened in my class, I lowered my hopes and aimed for a 12/15.
I ended up getting a 11/15 - which is ok. Would have liked to get more marks, but hey, what can I do now? I get to hopefully go through the exam tomorrow and see if I can spot anymore marks that the teacher missed (e.g. carry through marks). I know there is one question that I got wrong, but that was because my calculator kept coming back with "no solution" so I couldnt do anything (but my process was correct so hopefully I get carry through marks).

I also got my Bio, Psych, English and SOR results. I got 20/20 for bio (surprisingly... I was not confident in that assignment), 20/20 for psych, 22/25 for english (not very happy with this, because I feel like I have improved so much since last year but I got the same results...) and I got a 23/25 for SOR (was aiming for a 24.... but I guess this is cool too).

So my results for the entirety of unit 3 look like this:
Physics - 30/30, 100%
Psychology - 30/30, 100%
Biology - 30/30, 100%
Methods - 29/35, 83%
SOR - 47/50, 94%
English - 47/50, 94%

revised biology mark
Note: my school went into extraordinary review for our biology classes. QCAA couldn't find a trend, a nice bell curve, when looking at the results from our two classes. So 50% of students were moved down 1-2 marks one week before the external exams. Unfortunately, I was part of that 50% of biology students and my SE was dropped from 20/20 to 19/20... My teacher said that he didn't understand where I was marked down, but it is what it is.

Pre happy :) Obviously, in some areas I would have liked to have done better. But overall, there is improvement from last year.

Anywho, I am really glad to be back at school. Self-iso was driving me insane, but it's over now!! Yay! :)
My school did a virtual cross-country over the weekend - I have never run 5km in my life and I will never do it again. I had to role out my legs twice yesterday because they were just so sore... I was waddling like a duck around school all day...

The teachers were really happy to have students back (in fact, I've never seen them this happy...)... But school is eerily quiet with there only being Preps, 1s, 11s and 12s back.

Hope everyone is doing well! :D

(Also, if any 2020 QCE students are interested in joining a bio or english study group let s110820 or myself know! :))
« Last Edit: December 28, 2020, 05:37:53 pm by K.Smithy »

K.Smithy

• QLD MVP - 2019
  • QCE Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #52 on: September 20, 2020, 05:45:21 pm »
+4
Hi friends :)
Time for an update!
Took a bit of a break from AN forums throughout terms 2 & 3 and really focused on completing my notes for all of my subjects - needless to say, I'm happy to be back.

I'm gonna try and keep this short and sweet because I know that I have the tendency to write entire essays  ::)

What has happened since the last time I was here
- I've had a few new maths teachers... I'm up to my fourth methods teacher for the year (he's pretty cool) - so no, methods is not going well this year
- my schools performance night was moved online so I had a very hectic term preparing performances
- had my grade 12 retreat which was good fun (we usually go to Toowoomba but had to hold it at school this year)
- had 100 day cupcakes to mark 100 days 'til grad :) - very yum
- applied for uni!!!!!
- had mock exams
- had my last ever normal lessons for grade 12  :'(

How did mocks go?
I think they went ok, I definitely failed methods but that ok. The only result that I know so far is physics and English. I got 37.5/50 for physics (75%) and 21/25 in English (84%). I also know that i got 18/20 for the bio multiple choice questions and 24/25 for psych multiple choice.
My predictions are as follows:
- methods: 20/50
- SOR: 18/25
- psychology: ~37.5/50
- biology: ~37.5/50
I found the second psychology exam to be super hard. The first was one of the easiest exams I've ever taken but the second was so hard. I have to wait until next term to get my results though. Overall, i think I did ok considering the fact that I didn't really study for them

What's coming up
- lots of study. I have planned out every single day for the next 2 months
- I have my school formal on the 9th of October - I am very excited  ;D
- I only have to go to school for a handful of days next term (for a few tutorials and exams)
- my birthday is the week before exams start and I have a tutorial on that day... lol. That is also the only tutorial that I have that week. But i guess it's better than spending my 18th home alone ;D

Anyway, that's all I have for now. I'll update this again once I get all my results back for the mock exams and I might have an update after formal... who knows :)
Hope everyone is doing well.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2020, 05:48:34 pm by K.Smithy »

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #53 on: September 20, 2020, 06:12:13 pm »
+4
Great to hear from you again!

4 maths teacher for a year 12 student....  :(

It's normal for mock results to be a bit underwhelming especially in short answer when you have the content but not the experience in knowing what to say to get the marks so don't stress if your results leave you a bit of room to grow. Good luck, I'm sure you'll get there :)

I didn't really celebrate my 18th because I was so caught up on it being 1 month until methods; I hope that you still have a good day despite your focus on preparation!

I hope your study schedule includes plenty of breaks and best of luck! If you tune into the psych lecture on Tuesday you'll hear from me then; best of luck for rest of this stretch until exams :)

K.Smithy

• QLD MVP - 2019
  • QCE Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #54 on: September 20, 2020, 07:08:46 pm »
+2
It's normal for mock results to be a bit underwhelming especially in short answer when you have the content but not the experience in knowing what to say to get the marks so don't stress if your results leave you a bit of room to grow. Good luck, I'm sure you'll get there :)

Yeah, exactly :) My teachers have also told us that the mocks were written before the syllabus was finalised, so there are questions on them that aren't relevant. There was also a question on the physics exam that required you to figure out the area under the curve in order to calculate work.... but there was also a formula for work (W = Fs). So we all just used the formula, which got us the wrong answer. My teacher does not like that question ;D (neither do I - but now I know what to do if i come across it in the real exam).
Another question that got me was one in the methods exam. It asked us to do some arithmetic sequences.... but that was unit 1/2 content, so none of us remembered how to do it  :o

I didn't really celebrate my 18th because I was so caught up on it being 1 month until methods; I hope that you still have a good day despite your focus on preparation!

That's a shame!  :'( did you end up doing anything after your exams?
I have my psych tute on that day, which is great because it is one of my favourite subjects. If i had english or SOR I probably would have died a little inside :P It's just a bit sad because I don't have any friends that study psych, so I wont be able to spend the day at school with my friends (lol, that reminds me... I have to figure out who I'm gonna sit with at lunch times... probably my sister then ;D). But i'm hoping that I can go out and have dinner that night, just something small with my immediate family and family friends to celebrate before exams.

I hope your study schedule includes plenty of breaks and best of luck! If you tune into the psych lecture on Tuesday you'll hear from me then; best of luck for rest of this stretch until exams :)

Aha after the second psych mock I definitely made sure to register for the lecture!
Thank you!! :)

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #55 on: October 11, 2020, 09:48:47 am »
+2
How have your last few weeks been, K.Smithy? :)

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

K.Smithy

• QLD MVP - 2019
  • QCE Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #56 on: October 12, 2020, 06:37:40 pm »
+5
Time for an update!
I've had 3 tutorials so far (English, bio, and SOR). Man they are tiring! Spending six hours on one subject just sucks the energy out of you. But, other than them being really exhausting, it has been good. I have my methods tutorial on Wednesday and physics on Thursday. My physics teacher is buying us all fish and chips so we can have a picnic together at lunchtime.

I've got all of my mock results back now - and I'm not mad.
As stated in my last update, I got 37.5/50 for physics (75%) and 21/25 in English (84%).
My prediction for methods was 20/50 (lol). Yeah, that didn't happen. Try 16/50 (32%) - the sad thing is that this is above average for my class. I still have two weeks to prepare for the real exam so I think i should be fine (I'm just aiming for a pass as I don't think it will be in my top 5 anyway).
My prediction for SOR was 18/25. I was pleasantly surprised with a 21/25 (84%).
My prediction for psychology was ~37.5/50. I got 38/50 (76%) - I got an A on the first paper and a C+ on the second (whoops)
My prediction for biology was ~37.5/50. I got 36.5/50 (73%) - I got a B on both exams (only one person got an A on the first exam, and I got the highest mark for the second).

I'm pretty happy with my performance overall. For English, I lost half of my marks due to poor punctuation and grammar - easy enough to fix. I also need to use a bit more evidence. But, considering I haven't read the novel, I am pretty happy with my A-.
For physics, I need to work on my graphical analysis. Aside from that, I just need to touch up on a bit more and actually study.
For methods, I just need to not be dumb.
For SOR, I just need to work on some punctuation and grammar. Aside from that, I just made one small error.
For psychology, I need to review case studies a bit more.
For biology, I need to work on graphical analysis as I lost a lot of silly marks on that. I also need to just touch up on a few topics.

Overall, it was refreshing to see that there were pretty much no questions that I got entirely wrong. There were only like 2/3 questions in total that I got 0 marks for. Other than that, I just need to make sure I include enough detail in my answers.

On a more fun note... I had my formal on Friday. It was an absolute blast. We couldn't dance, so we did trivia instead. It was quite funny. One of the categories was about teachers and they would put up photos of teachers from when they went to their own formals and we had to guess what teacher it was. Very entertaining! 

How have your last few weeks been, K.Smithy? :)

Hey Nick!
It's been super hectic and it is starting to get a bit overwhelming with exams and all that. The stress is definitely setting in, but that is no doubt just part of the year 12 experience :)
There is only 39 days until graduation, so I just need to keep myself motivated for a bit longer. But I am very excited to go out into the "real world" and start uni.

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #57 on: October 13, 2020, 09:12:46 am »
+1
Great to hear from you again :D

6 hours straight is rough :o

It's so easy to make a silly mistake on a physics graph like misreading the axes or units. Make sure you also remember to be careful about how changing the speed of rotation of an AC generator is reflected two ways on a graph (emf & period change). Also consider the 2017 VCE exam q on research methods and where you need to draw a line of best fit.

For psych, make sure you stick to the syllabus in your studies and don't give too much focus to the case studies.

What topics do you need to touch up on for bio?

Make sure you don't just go more detailed but try to see and learn mark distribution if you can.

Good luck!

K.Smithy

• QLD MVP - 2019
  • QCE Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #58 on: December 06, 2020, 08:52:31 pm »
+6
... Ouch...
All I can say is that I preferred the mocks...

My ATAR took a lot of hits last month - 6 to be exact. I was going in very hopeful, I thought that I had a good shot at getting an ATAR around the mid 90's. I very much doubt it now. I botched pretty much every exam... Goodbye hopes and dreams (lol, just being dramatic, but I am serious about botching my exams).

English: Wtf were those questions?? (I did 1984 btw) I ended up going with the character based question (which I realised half-way through was the dumbest decision of my life because I had never practiced a character based question... Idiot). I wish I chose the Room 101 question instead. Once I had finished my very poorly written essay I was able to come up with so many amazing ideas for the first question... It was a big "Well... Shit..." moment for me.

Methods: I'd never cried during an exam until the second methods paper. For real. First one was pleasant. I actually quite enjoy calculus and I'm pretty confident in my ability when it comes to it. Given that the first paper was almost entirely calc., I felt good. Second exam however...... Not the same story... You see, I SUCK at probability. I'm absolutely hopeless. The entire second paper was pretty much just probability and I felt like the biggest idiot because I could barely answer any questions.

Biology: I'm feeling alright. I can't tell if it was pretty easy or if I completely messed up the entire thing. I'm feeling grateful that the SDI question was worth 6 marks :P :P :P Where were the biotechnology questions tho??? Gene regulation who?? Biogeochemical cycles what?? A lot of the content that we expected to be there just wasn't.

Physics: ... I've felt better.... This exam actually quite annoyed me. Almost the entirety of both papers was electromagnetism. That is my worst topic in the entire syllabus.... If that asked any questions on unit 4 content then I would have done great, but noooooooooo... they had to make the entirety of both papers electromagnetism.... Not feeling great.

Psychology: First paper: fantastic. Second paper: wtf? Where were the questions on the content of the syllabus? There was only like one question in the second paper that was actually on the theory from the syllabus. That question was really good and I actually quite enjoyed coming up with my answer for it. Every other question (aside from the data question at the end which I will come back too  :o) was solely about case studies - not just the findings of the studies but actual details from the studies. My class had only ever focused on the findings from the case studies not the details about what happened, so I had to bullshit pretty much all of my answers. Also, I found out after the exam that the QLD psychology textbooks have the wrong version of the bystander intervention model. We have the 1970 version, not the 1968 version (which they asked a question about  :o :o :o)... Ok, now the data questions.... why tf would they ask about interquartile range?? I haven't done that since the beginning of term 1 in grade 10... They think I remember how to do that now?? Data questions were meant to be easy marks, but I guess not.

SOR: I'm feeling really weird about this one, but I felt weird about the mock and I did well... So I'm holding onto hope. A lot of the questions were just odd and I wasn't quite sure how to answer them. But I definitely didn't fail (unlike the second methods paper).

I'm really quite disappointed with how I performed. My anxiety really got to me in the month leading up to exams and I just couldn't bring myself to study. I would lay in bed staring at the ceiling for hours too scared to even look at my notes. But it's over now. I've graduated. There's nothing more I can do. Graduation felt odd, it was very different from every other graduation I've seen in the past, but I am very grateful I got to have one.
I've been getting major imposter syndrome lately and it's been making me feel sick. I did really well on my internal assessment and that was reflected at graduation. I left with the awards for dux of psychology, biology and physics, dux of my cohort, an award for 100% A's and an award from the Australian Institute of Physics for excellence in physics... Now that I've performed poorly on my externals, I feel horrible. I don't feel deserving of the awards I received at grad. I feel like a fraud. I feel like an idiot who has managed to fool all of my teachers and peers and I feel like I have all of these expectations that have been placed on me by others. I'm terrified that people are going to find out what my ATAR is and then have their views of me change as a result. I'm scared that I am going to disappoint all of my teachers who have worked so hard this year to get us all through and to help us succeed. I've had nightmares almost every single night since graduation about my ATAR. I am terrified.
Currently, I am working on separating my intelligence and self worth from my ATAR. I'm trying to remind myself that if I don't reach my ATAR goals, that doesn't make me dumb. My intelligence and self worth are not dependent upon that one number and are free standing. It's been hard, but I can't wait for this year to end so I can just move on from this moment in time. This small insignificant chapter of my life..

I hope everyone else is doing well!

K.Smithy

• QLD MVP - 2019
  • QCE Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #59 on: December 23, 2020, 12:33:36 pm »
+7
My ATAR took a lot of hits last month - 6 to be exact. I was going in very hopeful, I thought that I had a good shot at getting an ATAR around the mid 90's. I very much doubt it now. I botched pretty much every exam... Goodbye hopes and dreams

Gosh I'm so dramatic ;D

So, I guess this is where my journal comes to a close. This journal has been through a rollercoaster of emotions since its conception around a year ago. Thank you to everyone who has joined me on this journey.

While I am sad to see this chapter of my life come to an end, I am very excited for the journey ahead. I'm planning to document the next few years in a uni journal and hope to see you over that side of the forums :)

I ended the year on a high, receiving an ATAR of 98.40. I am pleased to announce that this morning I received and accepted an early offer for the Bachelor of Advanced Science (Honours) at UQ (you can find my other results here)

It has been a wild ride, but I am so glad that I got to do it alongside this fantastic community of people.

Katelyn out!  8) *mic drop*
« Last Edit: December 28, 2020, 05:43:35 pm by K.Smithy »