Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 30, 2024, 12:02:32 am

Author Topic: How do I answer the question clearly??? (Adv English)HELP  (Read 441 times)

90atarmaybe

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
How do I answer the question clearly??? (Adv English)HELP
« on: October 11, 2018, 10:18:59 pm »
Hi, ;D

I've been doing loads of practice papers but everytime I get peer feedback, I always get low mark only because I haven't answered the question explicitly or explored it. I always get feedback that I show extensive knowledge of the module etc and textual evidence.

I reword the question and put it as a topic and concluding sentence but, that doesnt seem to be enough.
Also, I do not encounter this in extension english for some reason, only in advanced??? so confusing!  :(

Please help, I have no idea how to make it any clearer that I'm answering the Q!!!  :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[

holky

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +20
Re: How do I answer the question clearly??? (Adv English)HELP
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2018, 06:01:29 pm »
+2
Hey,
So in your introductions, you don't have to reword the question. A lot of markers actually really like to see you engaging with the words of the question as it makes it really easy for them to pinpoint where you're engaging with the question. Obviously don't just write the question verbatim, but pic a few words out of the question and integrate them into your essay
Another thing, I do this in my extension essays and my teacher LOVES it
I relate every single quote back to the question
I haven't quite gotten around to doing it in my advanced essays yet, but I'm sure it'll work just as well there.
For example, this is paragraph for an essay I did for extension
the question was

"Science fiction texts reconcile the universality of old human concerns with the complexities of new or imagined paradigms. Evaluate how at least four texts you have studied (including at least TWO prescribed texts) show how the old and the new come together in the genre Science Fiction."

Neuromancer thoughtfully unites the universality of existentialism and nihilism with the evolved technology of AI. Wintermute’s nihilism and existentialism become extensions of humanity’s nihilistic and existentialist struggles reimagined for the development of AI. Neuromancer serves as a foil to this, prompting ideological discussion around the prevailing nature of these concepts in our lives. Gibson opens his novel insightfully “The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel” Gibson’s use of dark imagery and tone establishes the prevailing themes of existential and nihilistic ideology of the novel and introduces the somber issues addressed throughout. By establishing this so early, Gibson uses form to demonstrate the universality of existentialism and nihilism to the human experience. In addition, by using technology in his establishment of this, Gibson demonstrates the prevailing nature of these concepts through technological advancement. Gibson further explores this through the character of Wintermute, which demonstrates “how to change the goals of human domination and unlimited growth to those of human adaptability and survival” (LeGuin). Wintermute defies Tessier-Ashpool’s goal of human expansion and unprecedented growth, and this defiance leads to his becoming an ideological representation of human survival and adaptability. This is seen in “Nowhere. Everywhere. I’m the sum total of the works, the whole show.” Wintermute’s defiance of unlimited human growth and acceptance of nihilism and existentialism combine to allow him to transcend universal human fears, demonstrating that technological advancements play a role in transcending old human fears and becoming human survivors and adaptors. Gibson merges neo-Darwinian idealism with the 1980s corporate worship to extend upon the previously known limits of SF, presenting a new facet of the genre beyond its previous bounds. This is furthered by the character of Neuromancer, who does not resist either existentialism or nihilism “To live here is to live. There is no difference.” Neuromancer’s dialogue is in stark contrast to Wintermute’s acceptance of and willingness to submit to the ideological forces of existentialism and nihilism, and this antithesis manifests consideration of the rationalization of physical existence, subverting traditional existential concerns and prompting speculation regarding the rationalisation of metaphysical existence. Further, this edifies the ideological dangers both of accepting and of rejecting these ideologies. Neuromancer’s radical rejection of these forces leads to naivety and false illusions, seen in his creation of the beach dream with Linda. Unfortunately, naivety and false illusions, despite their appeal, are not sustainable, particularly not in a constantly technologically evolving world, and Gibson didactically presents the character of Neuromancer as a warning against delving too deeply into naivety and innocence. However, Gibson also warns against the militant belief held by Wintermute, philosophically presenting the dangers of following and implementing doctrine with limited understanding of the consequences. Although Wintermute’s arc has a positive outcome, the impact this has on the characters around him, particularly the mental and physical torture Molly endures, should not be taken lightly. Gibson implores us to mediate humanity’s universal fears reasonably, without turning to extreme measures and beliefs. His use of evolved technology demonstrates that these old fears will continue, perhaps indefinitely, and becomes an ideological parable about the ways in which we utilise new technologies and paradigms to resolve these old fears.

I've bolded all the places I linked to the question, to help you see different ways you can link back to the question throughout a paragraph, not just at the beginning and end

I hope that helps

English Advanced  English Extension 1 Modern History CAFS Music 1 Drama

Mathematics 84