Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 01:00:29 am

Author Topic: I Am Malala Textual Analysis Thread  (Read 1499 times)

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +856
I Am Malala Textual Analysis Thread
« on: January 13, 2020, 05:21:16 pm »
+4
I AM MALALA

What is this thread for?
This thread is for discussing and understanding the text I Am Malala. It is a central place for inter-state discussion and sharing of resources, as well as a place to ask questions and discuss themes. Find the quote bank for I Am Malala here. Everyone is welcome to contribute; even if you're unsure of yourself, providing different perspectives is incredibly valuable. Please don't be dissuaded by the fact that you haven't finished Year 12, or didn't score as highly as others, or your advice contradicts something else you've seen on this thread, or whatever; none of this disqualifies you from helping others. And if you're worried you do have some sort of misconception, put it out there and someone else can clarify and modify your understanding! There'll be a whole bunch of other high-scoring students with their own wealths of wisdom to share with you, so you may even get multiple answers from different people offering their insights - very cool.

Summary:
(I couldn't find a particularly good summary video, but this was certainly the best of the ones that I watched.)

I found some good notes summarising the story here.

Themes:
EDUCATION
This is a text that explores the power of education as it empowers people to stand up for what they believe in as well as being an escape from poverty as it brings opportunities.

ACTIVISM
This book explores how it is important to stand up for what you believe in even if it would be easier to put up with injustice. It also demonstrates how speaking up has the ability to bring awareness to issues of injustice and elicit an impassioned response that leads to real change.

FAMILY
The idea of family connections and bonds is explored in this novel as Malala remains closely connected to her relatives, even after her shooting. Her family are both her role models and a source of comfort.

RELIGION
This novel highlights the contrasts between Malala's expression of Islam as a peaceful and comforting religion with the way that the Taliban interprets Islam. She does not let their violence and hate influence her own faith.

CHILDHOOD
This is a classic coming of age story. Malala begins with a happy and carefree childhood but learns more about the darkness in the world as she grows and matures.

HONESTY
Honesty is one of Malala's core values despite often living a life that is crowded by corruption, secrecy and lies. This is a value that is instilled by her parents.

FREEDOM
Malala's father constantly tells her that she is "as free as a bird", despite having such little freedom under the Taliban. Her experiences of confinement and control are what motivate her to fight for freedom for everyone.

Free Notes:
A Quote List by secretly_a_poet

Feel free to upload your own here.

Other Resources:
- Study guides for I Am Malala from LitCharts and GradeSaver.
- A Teacher's Guide with lots of insight about context.

Thread Index:
character
themes
questions
« Last Edit: January 13, 2020, 08:24:55 pm by laura_ »