Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 10:08:08 pm

Author Topic: Reject UoM for Swinburne Vice-Chancellor's scholarship?  (Read 1125 times)  Share 

I love maths

• Fresh Poster
  • Big
  • Respect: 0
Reject UoM for Swinburne Vice-Chancellor's scholarship?
« on: December 17, 2018, 10:13:00 pm »
I had it in my mind for most of the year that I was going to study Science at the University of Melbourne, but I'm suddenly facing a big dilemma after receiving my ATAR and getting offered the Vice-Chancellor's Excellence Scholarship. Melbourne Uni seems much more suited to me as I want room to explore my interests which Melbourne seems to offer, it only takes me a little over half an hour to get there compared to over an hour for Swinburne and of course Melbourne is much more prestigious that Swinburne. The scholarship is quite appealing. While money wouldn't be a huge issue, 5000 would be very good. I guess the most appealing part would be the $2000 international study experience, and the other benefits of the High Achiever program.

So what I'd really like is for anyone who has advice on how good this scholarship is (especially in regards to the study experience and high achievers program) and whether or not the difference in quality of the universities matters in this situation.

Prospect

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
Re: Reject UoM for Swinburne Vice-Chancellor's scholarship?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2018, 02:07:18 am »
Don't focus on the money. Look at the bigger picture and the long term, I'd go for Melbourne uni simply due to the fact that it's far too prestigious.

AngelWings

• ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2018, 10:39:43 am »
+3
Don't focus on the money. Look at the bigger picture and the long term, I'd go for Melbourne uni simply due to the fact that it's far too prestigious.
There is a caveat to Prospect’s answer and it might be important in your decision. (Sorry Prospect, just going to clarify one point you made.)

While I agree that you shouldn’t focus on the money, you also shouldn’t really focus on prestige either, unless you’re intent on further studies and/ or research. Reason is: those uni rankings (and subsequently the prestige) are heavily influenced by the research done at the uni.

@I love maths:
Do you want to pursue further study and/ or research? If yes, consider the prestige. If not, remove prestige with due caution. Now consider the uni you want to go to without the money (but do consider the non-financial aspects of the scholarship) and, as just mentioned, either take out or leave prestige in the picture. If you find yourself saying yes or no to either uni then, that’s probably the one to go to.
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread

kiwikoala

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +19
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2018, 01:24:16 pm »
I know there is a guaranteed $1000 + $1000 exchange scholarship if you get an ATAR rank between 92.00 and 98.95 that was around in 2018.
https://scholarships.unimelb.edu.au/awards/science-start-up-scholarship

I cannot for the life of me find the 99.00+ one, but surely it would exist. It could potentially match that $5000, and given that the other scholarship also had stuff for exchange, this would too. I would contact unimelb (Stop 1?) to see if it exists.

My concern is that they're replacing it all as part of their overhaul of the melbourne model.
https://study.unimelb.edu.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0023/28049/UGrad-Scholarships.pdf
« Last Edit: December 18, 2018, 01:29:47 pm by stevenhuyn »