Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 08:03:07 pm

Author Topic: HSC Studies of Religion Question Thread  (Read 275687 times)  Share 

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
Re: Studies of Religion Question Thread
« Reply #360 on: March 29, 2017, 01:39:20 am »
+2
Hey guys,
I've been doing a practice essay with this stimulus “Jesus teaches us another way: Go out. Go out and share your testimony, go out and interact with your brothers, go out and share, go out and ask. Become the Word in body as well as spirit.” Pope Francis. We have to relate it to Baptism and Environmental Ethics, I'm just struggling in how I should do this

Hey damecj! Sorry to get back to you so late I went for a long-weekend holiday. There has been great advice above but I will make a comment to add.
I'm seeing quite regularly that teachers have been prescribing essays that involve two sections of the depth study - and I want to warn that this is very possible for HSC. They could (and have before) even asked about all three aspects at once. I made a study card for Islam featuring around this integrated type of essay and you can download it for free here. Even though it is for Islam, it might inspire a way to organise your notes.

In your essay, I wouldn't be afraid to divide the essay so you have separate paragraphs for ethics and baptism. At least, at first! Integrating these through common ideas in a paragraph would be very impressive but not at all an easy task. But, if you were to do that, here is how I would do it...

My personal approach would be focusing on little snippets of the quote. So, when it says "go out and share" I would talk about how this is seen in baptism as a new life in Christ has been initiated, and the word of God will be shared from the new adherent. I would also talk about the way the community pledges to assist the new adherent with this. Then, flip to enviro ethics, and talk about the way the environment is shared, thus we must share responsibility in taking care of it - linking to it being God's creation and adherents as stewards.

So my technique would be looking at the quote in small snippets and having that as the leader of the paragraph. You could otherwise organise your paragraphs into principal beliefs, as Snew suggested. This would give a new kind of structure to your work.

Hopefully this gives you a bit of help! :) I'm keen to know how you go with it all.

PS. Thanks to the people above who added their thoughts! Appreciated greatly! <3
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

Thebarman

• Trendsetter
  • Gone fishing
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #361 on: March 29, 2017, 11:10:46 am »
Hey guys, our half yearly exam is tomorrow and we're allowed to bring a scaffold of notes. Since the majority of information regarding St Paul's contribution is repetitive when looking at the development and expression separately, I've decided that I'll combine the two parts and instead split his overall contribution up into two paragraphs. These will be centered around his contribution as a theologian/writer, and as a missionary. Would this be appropriate in an exam, or could this structure potentially disadvantage me in any way?

Also, I have categorised his contributions under the subheadings of his writings, council of Jerusalem, missions and evangelisation. Would anyone be able to help me in order to put these under the right paragraphs (i.e. Would writings go in a paragraph about Paul as a theologian or as a writer?)
Sorry for the confusing questions, but any help would be greatly appreciated :)
“Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes!”
2017 HSC: Advance English, Mathematics, SORII, Biology, Business Studies, Modern History.
Atar: 92.05

Snew

• Forum Regular
  • Class of 2017
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #362 on: March 29, 2017, 12:57:07 pm »
So the big piece of feedback here is really simple - The question asks you to account for the rise of secularism. To give reasons it is happening. Only one sentence in your response (highlighted in red) relates to giving reasons for the changes, meaning that even in all those great statistics, only one sentence is directly answering the question.

Cut some of your stats, and focus instead on the reasons for the rise of secularism - In more detail than that sentence in red :)

Completely missed this! Thank you heaps  ;D do you think I need to include any stats at all? I've re-written it without any and I feel like it might be a bit disjointed from the rest of the response, but I'm not sure  :)
« Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 09:38:17 pm by jamonwindeyer »
HSC 2017:

Studies of Religion I
Advanced English
General Mathematics
Biology
Modern History
Music I

ATAR Goal: 85+
Course Wanted: Bachelor of Nursing at UTS

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #363 on: March 29, 2017, 09:37:37 pm »
+1
Hey guys, our half yearly exam is tomorrow and we're allowed to bring a scaffold of notes. Since the majority of information regarding St Paul's contribution is repetitive when looking at the development and expression separately, I've decided that I'll combine the two parts and instead split his overall contribution up into two paragraphs. These will be centered around his contribution as a theologian/writer, and as a missionary. Would this be appropriate in an exam, or could this structure potentially disadvantage me in any way?

Also, I have categorised his contributions under the subheadings of his writings, council of Jerusalem, missions and evangelisation. Would anyone be able to help me in order to put these under the right paragraphs (i.e. Would writings go in a paragraph about Paul as a theologian or as a writer?)
Sorry for the confusing questions, but any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Hey barman! I think your approach to the notes is definitely appropriate - The way I viewed Saul, I focused my development notes on his work as a missionary, and the expression as a theologian. But there is absolutely crossover so I don't think you will be disadvantaged at all - Just whatever works best for you! ;D

I would probably do writings and evangelisation as expression, then the Council and missions as development. That makes the most sense to me ;D

Good luck with the exam tomorrow!! I bet you'll smash it ;D

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #364 on: March 29, 2017, 09:39:05 pm »
+1
Completely missed this! Thank you heaps  ;D do you think I need to include any stats at all? I've re-written it without any and I feel like it might be a bit disjointed from the rest of the response, but I'm not sure  :)

Definitely not mandatory at all!! It's just one way you can show some understanding - Go with your gut, if you don't think it works then I wouldn't use it! ;D

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #365 on: March 30, 2017, 12:22:11 am »

Just hoping to give you piece of mind here - the way you are intending to split this up is exactly how I split mine for my notes and assignment (but it wasn't my overall HSC essay question...). And it always worked well for me! :)

winstondarmawan

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #366 on: April 04, 2017, 08:12:32 pm »
Hello!
In the case that Martin Luther (Significant People and Ideas) is asked for extended response question, where is the best source for quotes and other textual evidence that can be used in answering the question, because right now I have the theory however very minimal textual evidence/quotes from Luther himself.
Thanks in advance.

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #367 on: April 04, 2017, 09:06:04 pm »
Hello!
In the case that Martin Luther (Significant People and Ideas) is asked for extended response question, where is the best source for quotes and other textual evidence that can be used in answering the question, because right now I have the theory however very minimal textual evidence/quotes from Luther himself.
Thanks in advance.

Hey!
Here is a brief webpage that has life events broken up.
This one here is more in detail and focuses on his life through biography - there are some quotes in there and links to other resources.
As for quotes, here is a list of his quotes but they aren't sourced, so if you want to use any, I'd reference them else where to ensure they are correctly attributed to him.
Similarly, here is another list of quotes.

But in reality - in an extended response, you'd likely be quoting the 95 thesis more than anything else he's said/written, I'd imagine? :)

sophroberts812

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #368 on: April 04, 2017, 09:25:58 pm »
I was wondering if someone could help me figure out this question from my SOR half yearly....

"Outline the practice of the Hajj, and analyse the significance of the Hajj to the individual and the Muslim community."

We're going to be given a source on the day to reference and incorporate into our essay (and, Elyse, I've read your article so I think I'm all good for that part :D ) but I'm just wondering if I should be mentioning the five pillars of Islam or the six key beliefs, or both!!? Any help would be much appreciated as my exam is on Thursday and may or may not have left it until last minute to prepare for  ::) ....

Thanks!!
Wanting to do the Bachelor of Nutrition and Dietetics at Wollongong Uni in 2018!!!!
ATAR aim --- 93.00

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #369 on: April 04, 2017, 09:41:05 pm »
I was wondering if someone could help me figure out this question from my SOR half yearly....

"Outline the practice of the Hajj, and analyse the significance of the Hajj to the individual and the Muslim community."

We're going to be given a source on the day to reference and incorporate into our essay (and, Elyse, I've read your article so I think I'm all good for that part :D ) but I'm just wondering if I should be mentioning the five pillars of Islam or the six key beliefs, or both!!? Any help would be much appreciated as my exam is on Thursday and may or may not have left it until last minute to prepare for  ::) ....

Thanks!!

Hey! Your essay question is somewhat triple barrelled. They want you to first outline the practice, so give it a little description, and then they want you to talk about the significance for the individual and for the community. I'm so glad you've suggested talking about the five pillars and the six key beliefs! Absolutely you should. This is what will set your essay apart from the work of your peers. Naturally you'd talk about the five pillars seeing as Hajj is one of them. But I don't think it is necessary to talk about every single one - that would be too forced. As for the principal beliefs, link them wherever possible. It's extremely easy to link to Tawhid seeing as so much of Islam practice in ceremonies is about Tawhid.

There's many ways you could structure this essay. It's my advice that when you address the first part of the question about the outlining of the practice, that you link this pretty strongly to the pillars and/or the principal beliefs. Otherwise it'll just be a waffley description - but if you make the most of this section you'll be able to excel.

One example of essay structure would be to go through the aspects of the Hajj, step by step, and analyse how each part holds significance for an individual or for the community. Otherwise, you could structure it by doing a paragraph on how the community is impacted, then a paragraph on the individual. The only fault I see with this is that sometimes the same things have significance for the individual and for the community, so you might be repeating yourself in some paragraphs.

Let me know if I can help dissect any other particular spots of the question :)

bananna

• Trendsetter
« Reply #370 on: April 04, 2017, 11:31:51 pm »
Hi!
can someone please explain to me the Wik decision?
I'm getting a bit confused with all the titles - Freehold, leaseholder and native.

Thank you :)

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #371 on: April 05, 2017, 12:19:29 am »
Hi!
can someone please explain to me the Wik decision?
I'm getting a bit confused with all the titles - Freehold, leaseholder and native.

Thank you :)

Hey bananna :) I struggled with this, and you are definitely not the only student scratching their head over this either. I'll try and simplify it down into different headings.

Wave Hill Walk Off (This isn't very important to know, but it's just setting context for what is yet to come)
The Wave Hill Mob went on strike for better conditions on a Northern Territory Cattle Station at Wave Hill. “The Wave Hill Walk Off” (1966)
Whitlam Government passed the first land rights legislation in 1975. But this only benefitted a very small amount of Indigenous Australians.

Mabo
Initially, the Mabo case was brought to the Supreme Court of Queensland – Mabo lost and the court ruled in favour of the QLD govt.
This was appealed, and the decision was reversed! (hooray)
Mabo & Others v Queensland (No. 2) (1992)
Mabo brought forward the case on behalf of the Murray Island people.
Native Title Act 1993 (Cth)
Terra Nullius: FALSE in relation to the Australian situation.
Australia was occupied at the time of British settlement.
Under certain circumstances: Native Title existed.
A continuous, maintained link with the land since before 1788 had to be proved.
Problem: DISPOSESSION! How can Aboriginal Australians prove this link when so many of them were dispossessed of their land? This is where Wik comes in...

Wik
The Wik people brought forward a case that claimed Leasehold Title may not automatically extinguish native title.
In fact, the two could exist simultaneously.
However, if in conflict, the Leasehold title would prevail.
This was a High Court decision that say that if Indigenous people can prove a connection to the land, they may be able to gain rights to hold ceremonies and perform other traditional activities, as long as they don't interfere with pastoralist's activities. Pastoralists are cattle farmers (typically) and do not OWN the land - the land is CROWN land (meaning: owned by the state government). So, they have a lease on the land. The pastoralists have Leasehold title (right to farm the land), and the Wik decision said perhaps that doesn't always trump Native Title, and the two can work simultaneously together. Indigenous Australians can access the land for traditional ceremonies as long as it does not interfere with the cattle farming.

Note: Leasehold title and pastoral leases are pretty much interchangeable. Some textbooks use "pastoral lease" and some use "leasehold title."

The Wik Decision holds that Native Title and Leasehold Title might be able to co-exist, but if there is big conflict, the pastoral leaseholder's rights will prevail.

Let me know if it's not clear yet :)
« Last Edit: April 05, 2017, 01:46:19 am by elysepopplewell »

bananna

• Trendsetter
« Reply #372 on: April 05, 2017, 07:12:54 am »
+1
Hey bananna :) I struggled with this, and you are definitely not the only student scratching their head over this either. I'll try and simplify it down into different headings.

Wave Hill Walk Off (This isn't very important to know, but it's just setting context for what is yet to come)
The Wave Hill Mob went on strike for better conditions on a Northern Territory Cattle Station at Wave Hill. “The Wave Hill Walk Off” (1966)
Whitlam Government passed the first land rights legislation in 1975. But this only benefitted a very small amount of Indigenous Australians.

Mabo
Initially, the Mabo case was brought to the Supreme Court of Queensland – Mabo lost and the court ruled in favour of the QLD govt.
This was appealed, and the decision was reversed! (hooray)
Mabo & Others v Queensland (No. 2) (1992)
Mabo brought forward the case on behalf of the Murray Island people.
Native Title Act 1993 (Cth)
Terra Nullius: FALSE in relation to the Australian situation.
Australia was occupied at the time of British settlement.
Under certain circumstances: Native Title existed.
A continuous, maintained link with the land since before 1788 had to be proved.
Problem: DISPOSESSION! How can Aboriginal Australians prove this link when so many of them were dispossessed of their land? This is where Wik comes in...

Wik
The Wik people brought forward a case that claimed Leasehold Title may not automatically extinguish native title.
In fact, the two could exist simultaneously.
However, if in conflict, the Leasehold title would prevail.
This was a High Court decision that say that if Indigenous people can prove a connection to the land, they may be able to gain rights to hold ceremonies and perform other traditional activities, as long as they don't interfere with pastoralist's activities. Pastoralists are cattle farmers (typically) and do not OWN the land - the land is CROWN land (meaning: owned by the state government). So, they have a lease on the land. The pastoralists have Leasehold title (right to farm the land), and the Wik decision said perhaps that doesn't always trump Native Title, and the two can work simultaneously together. Indigenous Australians can access the land for traditional ceremonies as long as it does not interfere with the cattle farming.

Note: Leasehold title and pastoral leases are pretty much interchangeable. Some textbooks use "pastoral lease" and some use "leasehold title."

The Wik Decision holds that Native Title and Leasehold Title might be able to co-exist, but if there is big conflict, the pastoral leaseholder's rights will prevail.

Let me know if it's not clear yet :)

Thank you this really helped 😊😊

fr123_

• Adventurer
« Reply #373 on: April 08, 2017, 08:44:00 pm »
anyone know where i can find a copy of the tripitaka (Buddhist text) in Pali language with translation?
I've only been able to find texts which have transliteration and no Pali language

chloeannbarwick

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #374 on: April 24, 2017, 02:11:04 pm »
+2
Just wanted to thank the markers for all the hard work they put in!
Get it done now, and you'll have less to do later