Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 01:45:39 am

Author Topic: HSC Ancient History Question Thread  (Read 71942 times)  Share 

katie,rinos

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1151
Re: HSC Ancient History Question Thread
« Reply #195 on: June 18, 2019, 09:53:45 pm »
+1
is this referring to ekklesia as the elders? : According to Plato, its combination with the kings’ arrogant rule, and the right to an equal vote on the most important matters, produced security and at the same time sound sense... by placing the office of the Elders in the middle as a kind of ballast, and thus striking a balance, it found the safest arrangement and organisation, with the twenty-eight Elders always siding with the kings when it was a matter of resisting democracy, yet in turn reinforcing the people against the development of tyranny.” (Plutarch, Life of Lycurgus, 5)

Hey,
I'm pretty sure Plutarch is referring to the Gerousia in this quote.

The gerousia were the council of elders that were made up of 28 men over 60 years old, as well as the 2 Spartan kings. They were elected for life by the citizens of the assembly (the ekklesia). They had wide judicial power in serious criminal cases such as death, exile or disgrace. They could frame the wording of legislation and proposed laws that would be approved/rejected by the Ekklesia. They could veto any decision of the apella/general assembly and could also put the kings on trials.

Hope this helps! :)
Class of 2017 (Year 12): Advanced English, General Maths, Legal Studies, Music 1, Ancient History, History Extension, Hospitality
2018-2022: B Music/B Education (Secondary) [UNSW]

Kombmail

• Forum Obsessive
  • When you realise Kpop exists... the world is good.
  • Respect: -4
« Reply #196 on: June 23, 2019, 08:37:11 pm »
Hey Guys! I needed a specific quote realting to what my teacher means here for governmental roles in sparta: You could also explain the impact of the gerousia having old men only- there is quote that detailed that age can effect the body AND the mind- not always good.

But i can't find it? If someone knows what quote this refers to please do not hesitate to quote my back with the quote:)
thanks,
Kombmail
-KgkG-

katie,rinos

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #197 on: June 23, 2019, 09:00:01 pm »
+1
Hey Guys! I needed a specific quote realting to what my teacher means here for governmental roles in sparta: You could also explain the impact of the gerousia having old men only- there is quote that detailed that age can effect the body AND the mind- not always good.

But i can't find it? If someone knows what quote this refers to please do not hesitate to quote my back with the quote:)
thanks,
Kombmail
Hey,
I found the quote!! Aristotle says that “the mind, like the body, is subject to old age”.

Hope this helps!! :)
Class of 2017 (Year 12): Advanced English, General Maths, Legal Studies, Music 1, Ancient History, History Extension, Hospitality

Kombmail

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #198 on: June 24, 2019, 08:17:06 am »
Hey,
I found the quote!! Aristotle says that “the mind, like the body, is subject to old age”.

Omg thankyou THANKYOU soooo much!
-KgkG-

Kombmail

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #199 on: June 24, 2019, 06:17:54 pm »
Hey,

Quick question but how would I decode this quote in reference to gerousia ?
-KgkG-

katie,rinos

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #200 on: June 24, 2019, 06:30:46 pm »
Quick question but how would I decode this quote in reference to gerousia ?
The gerousia were elected for life and Aristotle doubts whether they should be (elected for life/while they are really old) as they determine important judicial trials and legislation. He beleives that their mind and ability to determine trials/laws can deteriorate as they age and may not be as strong as when they were first elected.

« Last Edit: June 24, 2019, 06:33:00 pm by katie,rinos »

Kombmail

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #201 on: June 24, 2019, 07:09:16 pm »
The gerousia were elected for life and Aristotle doubts whether they should be (elected for life/while they are really old) as they determine important judicial trials and legislation. He beleives that their mind and ability to determine trials/laws can deteriorate as they age and may not be as strong as when they were first elected.

Yes it did! if someone could give feedback on this please do not hesitate. Its for a 7 minute speech.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2019, 08:26:50 pm by Kombmail »
-KgkG-

Kombmail

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #202 on: July 07, 2019, 06:45:26 pm »
Guys can someone help me decode this quote please? this is in relation to the greek world 500 - 440 BC : ‘ It was easier to deceive 30 000 athenians than one spartan’
-KgkG-

Gavan_Ja

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #203 on: July 22, 2019, 06:44:08 pm »
Hello,

Does anyone have a generic plan for the Mithridatic/Parthian Wars dot-point on the Fall of the Roman Republic section?

Thanks a lot!  :D

katie,rinos

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #204 on: July 22, 2019, 07:10:05 pm »
Hello,

Does anyone have a generic plan for the Mithridatic/Parthian Wars dot-point on the Fall of the Roman Republic section?

Thanks a lot!  :D
Hey,
I didn't study this this option, but have you checked out these notes.

Hope they help :)

Kombmail

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #205 on: August 07, 2019, 08:28:30 am »
Guys how many significant sites should you revise for Sparta to the battle of leuctra?
-KgkG-

katie,rinos

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #206 on: August 07, 2019, 07:43:51 pm »
+3
Guys how many significant sites should you revise for Sparta to the battle of leuctra?
Hey,
I think I had 2 or 3 pieces of evidence for the significant sites dot point.

Its easier if you try to have evidence that overlaps with several of the dot points so you need to try to memorise as much for the exams.

Hope this helps! :)

Kombmail

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #207 on: August 19, 2019, 05:25:03 pm »
How do you write a paragraph describing the heretic or revolution of Akhenaten anyone? I mean Assess the impact of Akhenaten’s religious reforms.

anyone?
« Last Edit: August 19, 2019, 10:10:51 pm by Kombmail »
-KgkG-

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1566
« Reply #208 on: August 19, 2019, 10:19:32 pm »
+2
Guys who have done the Persian wars 500-440 BC how did you revise for events but at the same time keep in mind greek victory and Persian imperialism? any tips?  :'(

It's best just to study the Persian Wars in order. Split them in two categories: the first and second invasions. The first invasion included Marathon on its own. The second one included Thermopylae, Artemisium, Salamis, Plataea and Mycale. Best to note who actually won each battles and which significant individuals actually led their team to victory/failure.

As for Persian imperialism- most of the origins are well before 500BC (outside your topic limits since the case study is only between 500BC to 440BC) The Persians were powerful between the 6th and 4th century. The first 3 satrapies were established by Cyrus the Great in west Asia minor (modern day Turkey). The most important thing to note in regards to Persian imperialism (that's actually relevant in the 500BC-440BC period) is the Ionian Revolt, which was one of the triggers for the Greco-Persian wars.
Which will hold greater rule over you? Your fear or your curiosity?

Please note that I am no longer active on the forums.
If you need any assistance, please message an admin or a natmod instead.

twelftholmes

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #209 on: October 12, 2019, 05:26:52 pm »
Hey!!
Am new here so I'm still trying to figure out how to navigate these forums haha..

But I just wanted to ask if there is any resource or any place online where someone has compiled or made-up practice HSC questions for the new Ancient History syllabus? I know that some questions from the old papers are still relevant but I'm not sure how to know which ones? I start year 12 in a few days so I want to try to start early if I can.

Also, if there are can I post my answers to questions here and maybe someone will reply to give feedback? I'm not really sure how that works?

Thanks for any help!
HSC 2020: English Advanced [71], Maths Adv [74]+ Ext [21], Physics [80], Ancient History [79], Business Studies [67]
ATAR: 68.50

round 2!!
HSC 2021: eng adv, math adv, physics, ancient history