Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 11:03:50 pm

Author Topic: calamity and sanity: my journey through vce  (Read 45425 times)

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +856
calamity and sanity: my journey through vce
« on: June 21, 2019, 10:30:25 pm »
+20
Hello hello!
My name is Laura and I am a Year 10 this year completing two VCE subjects. I thought that I would start this journal as something for me to look back on and a way to organise my thoughts before subject selection (which is fast approaching).

So what subjects am I studying this year and what's my plan thus far?
So this year I am doing 1/2 Biology and 1/2 Religion and Society (compulsory but enjoyable). I found biology tough to begin with. The class atmosphere and teaching style was very different from what I'm used to and combined with the copious amounts of content it was not easy to get my head around. I am feeling a lot more confident about it now and super excited for second semester.

My long term goal is to get into OT at Latrobe (and hopefully continue Auslan while I'm there). So my plan for subjects next year is:
- 3/4 Bio
- Methods
- Chem
- English
- Global Politics
- Texts and Traditions (distance ed)
- Auslan (outside of school)

I am also tossing up spesh instead of T&T but I am trying to weigh up whether I would actually enjoy it and how much additional stress it would add to my VCE. A major deciding factor for me is how stressed I am going to be. I want to set myself up to do well and so I'm looking to choose subjects I enjoy and that will hopefully keep me sane.

So who am I away from all the school stuff?
So I'm 15 and when I'm not at school I am very involved in the disability community. I am a support worker for a gorgeous little one and do some volunteer respite care. I am absolutely in love with my work but it is a very tiring and taxing job which forces me to plan ahead in terms of study and assignments. I love the Deaf community and think that Auslan is such a beautiful language which is why I have such a passion for learning it. I like reading and writing (mainly flash fiction and poems) and I love my ukelele. I have always wanted to be able to sing but am slowly becoming content with the fact that I really, really can't.

I love persuasive speaking and drama, so I do DAV debating as well as acting in the school production. I am sometimes shy but a different side of me comes out when people are watching. I love the thrill I get from a debate. I love being third and getting on a roll. I love secret topic debates and working with my team. It's a part of school I really enjoy. (So much for the heading ::) )

Today's Playlist
Music is a really big thing for me and often it's what gets me through a long school day.
Today's mix included:
- Sweet But a Psycho (Ava Max)
- Viva la Vida (Coldplay)
- Love Story (Taylor Swift)
- Chasing Cars (Snow Patrol)
- Hey There Delilah (Plain White T's)

Best of luck pushing through the last week before school holidays. The time between exams and a break always feels quite strange for me!
laura <3

edit:
a glossary
About me: This post says a lot about who I am as a person. I love other people and I love the awesome experiences I get to have with children through my work and volunteering.

Year 10 things: Page 2-8
Year 11 things: Page 8-
Year 12 things: to come

My other threads:
- getting healthy and feeling better in semester two
- my auslan practice
- creative things

« Last Edit: November 25, 2019, 08:50:40 pm by laura_ »

Geoo

• MOTM: DEC 19
  • Forum Leader
  • Class of 2020
  • Respect: +685
Re: calamity and sanity: my journey through vce
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2019, 10:48:38 pm »
+4
Wow, what a start to a journal! Really looking forward to seeing what comes next.
That's amazing what you do for the disabled community, but it must be really hard watching people go through things when you have formed a connection. How often to you volunteer? Do you think you want to go down that path in the future for a job, or continue it in the forms of humanitarian work?

How do you learn Auslan? I know there is a Distance Language Centre along with DECV, but I would imagine the course structure would have to be so different to the speaking languages. Random question, but how different it Auslan to the american or British sign languages?

Aside from your studies and volunteer work, and the debate team, do you have any hobbies? Or are you too busy? It looks like you have a packed schedule. Sorry for the boat load of questions  ;)
2020: VCE 93.2
2022: BSci/Arts (Chemistry/Pharmacology and French)@Monash

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2019, 11:02:26 pm »
+6
Hiya Geoo,
Love your journal! What interesting questions; no need to apologise at all. ;D

That's amazing what you do for the disabled community, but it must be really hard watching people go through things when you have formed a connection. How often to you volunteer? Do you think you want to go down that path in the future for a job, or continue it in the forms of humanitarian work?

I think that I am so lucky in the people I get to work with. I certainly see people struggling, but mostly my clients are generally able to manage quite well. One, in particular, is completely non-verbal and does not communicate in traditional ways, with also profound physical disabilities, but she is so happy so much for the time. Sometimes we just catch a tram for the fun of it. (Mainly so I can see the look of glee on her face.) She is obsessed with music and the reason that I picked up my uke again. I am hoping to work as an Occupational Therapist (but also considering Physio or Special Ed), so definitely working in the disability community!!  :)

How do you learn Auslan? I know there is a Distance Language Centre along with DECV, but I would imagine the course structure would have to be so different to the speaking languages. Random question, but how different it Auslan to the american or British sign languages?

I learnt Auslan through community courses run in a neighbourhood learning centre and I'm looking to do the 1/2 at Victorian College for the Deaf, which would involve me going to evening classes once a week. Auslan is extremely different from American sign language, mainly due to the "two-handed" fingerspelling system- basically, in ASL letters are formed using one hand. Auslan is based on British sign language so shares some similarities. However, even across Australia, sign language differs considerably.

Aside from your studies and volunteer work, and the debate team, do you have any hobbies? Or are you too busy? It looks like you have a packed schedule.

I love reading and writing. I also like geocaching and riding my bike, but I kind of find myself on a kick with one hobby for a month (neglecting the others) and then switch to a different one. They rotate around but I always come back eventually. I also enjoy watercolour but I need a lot of practice. What are your main hobbies? Do you find yourself neglecting them or are you better at balance and time management than me?
« Last Edit: June 22, 2019, 07:21:46 am by laura_ »

brothanathan

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2019, 02:07:00 am »
+4
Hi Laura,

Loved the effort you put in your R&S Padlet. Never lose that fire of yours. I'll be interested in how your journey goes  :D
« Last Edit: June 22, 2019, 02:11:02 am by brothanathan »

homeworkisapotato

• MOTM: Aug 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +288
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2019, 08:36:38 am »
+4
Woah I can already tell this journal is gonna be epic ;D
I'm really looking forward to your future entries ;)
2020: Biology [43]
2021: Methods, Chemistry, HHD, English, Further
Selective School Entry Tips

smallbean

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +28
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2019, 09:02:22 am »
+4
Hey Laura,
Nice mix of subjects!  :)
I'm looking forward to following the rest of your journey through VCE. I've always wanted to do some volunteering, which is something that I want to do after I finish school. Which subjects at school do you enjoy the most?
~Class of 2019~
2018: Chinese {SL}

2019: English, Maths Methods, Chemistry, Legal Studies, History Revolutions

2021-2023: Bachelor of Arts @Melb Uni

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2019, 09:15:37 am »
+5
Hey Laura,
Nice mix of subjects!  :)
I'm looking forward to following the rest of your journey through VCE. I've always wanted to do some volunteering, which is something that I want to do after I finish school. Which subjects at school do you enjoy the most?

Hey smallbean!!
I would so encourage you to get involved in volunteering as soon as you have the time. I know that I find no matter how much I am helping others through what I do, I always find that I get so much more back! There was this time a little while ago when one of the children did not want to separate from her mother (which meant that her mum couldn't have the three-hour break that the volunteering service aims to provide), and she said to us, "As much as it is about the break, it is about knowing you are not alone. About having someone walk this journey with me." To this day that is what inspires me. Unfortunately, I was meant to be volunteering this morning but the service had to cancel the session as too many carers are sick.

At school, I really enjoy the humanities and English subjects. I have discovered a love for science that I probably last saw in year 7 after choosing to undertake 1/2 bio this year. I think that a mix of uninspiring teachers and a cohort with a dislike for science made me think that perhaps it wasn't for me. I also enjoy aspects of maths (we just started combinatorics and that's been super interesting). What are your favourite subjects?

smallbean

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +28
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2019, 10:39:02 am »
+2
Hey smallbean!!
I would so encourage you to get involved in volunteering as soon as you have the time. I know that I find no matter how much I am helping others through what I do, I always find that I get so much more back! There was this time a little while ago when one of the children did not want to separate from her mother (which meant that her mum couldn't have the three-hour break that the volunteering service aims to provide), and she said to us, "As much as it is about the break, it is about knowing you are not alone. About having someone walk this journey with me." To this day that is what inspires me. Unfortunately, I was meant to be volunteering this morning but the service had to cancel the session as too many carers are sick.

At school, I really enjoy the humanities and English subjects. I have discovered a love for science that I probably last saw in year 7 after choosing to undertake 1/2 bio this year. I think that a mix of uninspiring teachers and a cohort with a dislike for science made me think that perhaps it wasn't for me. I also enjoy aspects of maths (we just started combinatorics and that's been super interesting). What are your favourite subjects?

Hi Laura,
I enjoy humanities and English subjects too, and also have a love for Science which lead me to choose Chemistry as a Year 12 Subject. Bio 1/2 seems like such an intriguing subject choice because it's one that you can actually relate to aspects real life. All of the 6 subjects that I chose for your 11 & 12 were my favourite amongst the ones that we were exposed to throughout schooling. However, if I were to choose my top two then it would definitely be English and Chinese 3/4 as I view both as fostering important skills in me that I will be able use in the future.
~Class of 2019~
2018: Chinese {SL}

2019: English, Maths Methods, Chemistry, Legal Studies, History Revolutions

2021-2023: Bachelor of Arts @Melb Uni

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2019, 11:16:16 am »
+2
Hey! I also studied bio early and was spent a lot of time on extracurriculars. I didn't do much debating as I couldn't get a team together at my school but 3rd and 2nd are certainly the best imo - impromptu public speaking is great :D.

In year 12 you may find some pressure to drop your extracurriculars so I want to say now please strongly consider not doing that.  Pull back a bit if you need/want to but please don't ditch them entirely.  Not only can they help you get into LaTrobe (I'm not sure if OT is in the Aspire program but if it is you should definitely apply) but I found that my extracurriculars helped me get an ATAR I was happy with by helping protect my headspace.

I'm not sure if you've seen but there's a uni journey journal on Occupational Therapy and although it's inactive I think if you pm'd the user who ran it they'd be happy to answer questions :)

I knew Auslan is different from sign language in other countries but I had no idea about the regional variation - thank you for sharing :)

What's the most interesting geocache you've found?  For me,  it's one where you had to find a hidden string and pull on it to get to the cache.

Keen to follow your journal - best of luck!  :)

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2019, 06:42:04 pm »
+2
Hey! I also studied bio early and was spent a lot of time on extracurriculars. I didn't do much debating as I couldn't get a team together at my school but 3rd and 2nd are certainly the best imo - impromptu public speaking is great :D.

In year 12 you may find some pressure to drop your extracurriculars so I want to say now please strongly consider not doing that.  Pull back a bit if you need/want to but please don't ditch them entirely.  Not only can they help you get into LaTrobe (I'm not sure if OT is in the Aspire program but if it is you should definitely apply) but I found that my extracurriculars helped me get an ATAR I was happy with by helping protect my headspace.

I'm not sure if you've seen but there's a uni journey journal on Occupational Therapy and although it's inactive I think if you pm'd the user who ran it they'd be happy to answer questions :)

I knew Auslan is different from sign language in other countries but I had no idea about the regional variation - thank you for sharing :)

What's the most interesting geocache you've found?  For me,  it's one where you had to find a hidden string and pull on it to get to the cache.

Keen to follow your journal - best of luck!  :)

Thanks Bri! Definitely intend to keep around as many extracurriculars as possible, even in the later years. In terms of geocaches, I've found a couple of interesting ones. A tiny one between a crevice in a rock was cool. There was also one hidden in a park behind a reflector on a sign. The best was probably one hidden in a tree with a pulley system that involved first finding the 2m pole to reach it.

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2019, 07:00:31 pm »
+8
Hello hello!
I watched a really great Anna Akana video this morning and just thought I would share it here (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChUZ5A_2tyo). She talks about the quote "jack of all trades, master of none, but most often better than master of one" and her journey with accepting that. This was the kick I needed to get back to the creative writing that I've been procrastinating. I have a notebook full of many single paragraph stories, and have never been through and edited or extended them, but this morning I did a bit of work on one called "Wandering Flowers".

Also, worked today...
I had a lot of fun with the kids at work today! As volunteering was cancelled this morning I could spend the whole day with just one family. In the morning I spent time with my client's (who I'll call A) two-year-old brother, who calls me "Nor". We played with the "Toot-toots" and then had lunch together. In the afternoon I took A to the aquarium and she loved it! She really enjoyed our time on the train and loved the penguins. On our way home, she kept reaching out to me from her wheelchair for hugs. She was very loud on the train home as she was excited so we got lots of funny looks but I was just happy she was happy. Also, she is going to a respite care program for a week tomorrow but I got invited to visit her which is exciting!
TL;DR: I had a wonderful day at work!
Being deeply loved gives you strength, loving deeply gives you courage. -Lao Tzu

And school stuff?
I have two assignments due Monday. There is an AoS3 biology question sheet to finish and an English oral about the context of To Kill a Mockingbird. Both of these were given to me on Friday, the day after exams. I was honestly really annoyed but I'm mostly over it. I meant to do some today but I just didn't get there.

I also have a prac report for bio that needs to be done before the end of term. Hopefully, I'll feel motivated tomorrow. (Yeah right!)

Today's Mix:
- Clocks (Coldplay)
- Home (Phillip Phillips)
- Take Me to Church (Ukulele Version by The Ukulele Boys)
- Bonfire Heart (James Blunt)
- Paradise (Coldplay)

Everyone needs a little help, a little hope and someone who believes in them. - Someone smart (probably)
laura <3
« Last Edit: June 22, 2019, 07:02:42 pm by laura_ »

brothanathan

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2019, 07:05:04 pm »
+1
Woah I can already tell this journal is gonna be epic ;D
I'm really looking forward to your future entries ;)

Especially because Laura is doing Auslan... ooo

mango8

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +58
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2019, 07:35:10 pm »
+3
Hello Laura! Lovely to meet you! What a fantastic journal this is bound to be! I would have loved to start my own back in Year 10 if I had known atarnotes existed!

That is wonderful you have your mind set on what you want to achieve in the end, it definitely helps in the motivation ruts and when you need to remember why you are doing this.

I think it’s amazing you are doing so much in the disability community. The world is in need of more caring, empathetic people who give so much, like you. How often do you volunteer here, and what are some of your most memorable, treasured experiences? I have always wanted to do volunteering, but never did it. I hope to do so once Year 12 is over.

What are your fav books? Maybe you could share some of your poetry later on if you felt comfortable. I love reading poetry. I love that you are keeping up with doing many extracurriculars which helps take your mind off the whole study side of things. It’s the best feeling being able to surprise people with your talents and abilities. People are incredibly judgemental, and when another side shines through when you are doing something you love, they are astounded. I hope you keep up with at least some of these extracurriculars when Year 12 rolls around.

I had a lot of fun with the kids at work today! As volunteering was cancelled this morning I could spend the whole day with just one family. In the morning I spent time with my client's (who I'll call A) two-year-old brother, who calls me "Nor". We played with the "Toot-toots" and then had lunch together. In the afternoon I took A to the aquarium and she loved it! She really enjoyed our time on the train and loved the penguins. On our way home, she kept reaching out to me from her wheelchair for hugs. She was very loud on the train home as she was excited so we got lots of funny looks but I was just happy she was happy. Also, she is going to a respite care program for a week tomorrow but I got invited to visit her which is exciting!
TL;DR: I had a wonderful day at work!
Being deeply loved gives you strength, loving deeply gives you courage. -Lao Tzu

What a beautiful little girl! That story just warmed my heart and soul, it is so so beautiful. And such an inspiring quote.

Your journal is honestly going to be so amazing, I can already tell. Thank you for starting this, always remember how much of gold you have in you. You are such an inspiring person Laura x
« Last Edit: June 22, 2019, 08:57:32 pm by mango8 »

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2019, 07:58:35 pm »
+3
I think it’s amazing you are doing so much in the disability community. The world is in need of more caring, empathetic people who give so much, like you. How often do you volunteer here, and what are some of your most memorable, treasured experiences? I have always wanted to do volunteering, but never did it. I hope to do so once Year 12 is over.

What are your fav books? Maybe you could share some of your poetry later on if you felt comfortable. I love reading poetry. I love that you are keeping up with doing many extracurriculars which helps take your mind off the whole study side of things. It’s the bets feeling being able to surprise people with your talents and abilities. People are incredibly judgemental, and when another side shines through when you are doing something you love, they are astounded. I hope you keep up with at least some of these extracurriculars when Year 12 rolls around.

Your journal is honestly going to be so amazing, I can already tell.

Thanks Mango!
There are so many wonderful things about volunteering and it has been so wonderful to be able to impact so many lives, in a way that enriches my life so much. The first time A made a sign (the sign for more) to her music therapist has probably been the best experience I've had as it was such a massive breakthrough. Seeing someone come to the understanding that they are able to communicate and the way that learning Auslan is going to open up so many possibilities for A is so exciting! Through this program I volunteer once a month for three hours, which is about all the kids can handle as the idea is that their parents have a break. I have in the past worked in a cooking class for adults with intellectual disabilities and also do kids program and morning tea duties every week at my church, which is also a fair commitment. I think that no matter what kind of volunteering you do and no matter how much of yourself you give, you will be enriched so much more than you could ever imagine!

Cathy Cassidy was an author who I read all through my tween years and her books still hold a very special place in my heart. (Driftwood and Summer's Dream really hit home.) There is no way I can choose a favourite book currently but I can definitely narrow it down:
1. All The Bright Places (cliche, I know)
2. The Lorien Legacies Series (I Am Number Four)
3. Nevermore (and Wundersmith the sequel)
4. All of Fleur Ferris's books.
5. Hannah Jayne's books.
6. The Radius of Us
7. Paperweight
8. The Boundless Sublime
9. A Quiet Kind of Thunder
10. Harry Potter
(Wow keeping it short hahaha.)

What kind of books do you like to read?

Also here's a poem I wrote last year. We'll see how I go with my writing this year but I may post some stuff here if people are interested and I'm feeling inspired.
Flicker,
Flutter,
Fall.

Leaves dropping off trees,
Flowers wither and crumble.
Green grass greys,
In preparation.

Step,
Squish,
Squashed.

Red turns brown,
Branches become bare.
Digging and burrowing,
Hibernation begins.

Wandering,
Walking,
Waiting.

Locked inside,
With fireplaces.
We wait for Winter,
And then the sun.

<3

sweetiepi

• National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "A Bit of Chaos" (she/they)
  • Respect: +3589
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2019, 08:36:18 pm »
+3
There are so many wonderful things about volunteering and it has been so wonderful to be able to impact so many lives, in a way that enriches my life so much
I think that no matter what kind of volunteering you do and no matter how much of yourself you give, you will be enriched so much more than you could ever imagine!
There is no way I can choose a favourite book currently but I can definitely narrow it down:
1. All The Bright Places (cliche, I know)

Hey, I've just been reading about how you volunteer, and I agree- it is really enriching and rewarding! I'm also looking forward to reading updates!!! ^-^
I also read All The Bright Places 18 (or so) months ago, and I also rank it pretty highly! ^-^

Also best of luck for all the assessments due soon. I'm sure you'll smash the rest of term as well!!! :)
2017-2019: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Formulation Science)
2020: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Honours) Read my uni journey here!