Archived Discussion > VCE Results Discussion 2016

2016 VCE School Rankings Are Out

(1/6) > >>

undefined:
http://bettereducation.com.au/Results/vce.aspx?yr=2016

What does everyone think?

Aaron:
To be honest I (personally) don't pay too much attention to rankings such as those - there's so much more to student achievement than a median study score or percentage of scores above 40.

exit:

--- Quote from: Aaron on December 15, 2016, 11:46:20 pm ---To be honest I (personally) don't pay too much attention to rankings such as those - there's so much more to student achievement than a median study score or percentage of scores above 40.

--- End quote ---

For example?

vox nihili:

--- Quote from: undefined on December 15, 2016, 11:38:16 pm ---http://bettereducation.com.au/Results/vce.aspx?yr=2016

What does everyone think?

--- End quote ---

Glad to see my school's made an improvement. They've been in the bottom ten a couple of times and have rebounded to a median score of 24.

Aaron's right in the sense that these things aren't the best way to rank a school. Study scores are very misleading, as they don't weight for all of the extraneous variables (other than the schools) that have a demonstrable influence on student achievement. For instance, there's an extremely strong link between family wealth of students in the school's cohort, and student achievement. It's unsurprising then to see schools like MacRob, which don't have a single student from the bottom quartile, up the top. Interestingish data, but unfortunately very flawed as a method of ranking a school :)

exit:

--- Quote from: vox nihili on December 16, 2016, 12:11:06 am ---Glad to see my school's made an improvement. They've been in the bottom ten a couple of times and have rebounded to a median score of 24.

Aaron's right in the sense that these things aren't the best way to rank a school. Study scores are very misleading, as they don't weight for all of the extraneous variables (other than the schools) that have a demonstrable influence on student achievement. For instance, there's an extremely strong link between family wealth of students in the school's cohort, and student achievement. It's unsurprising then to see schools like MacRob, which don't have a single student from the bottom quartile, up the top. Interestingish data, but unfortunately very flawed as a method of ranking a school :)

--- End quote ---

What are good statistics to rank schools then? (if you must)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version