Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 10:14:24 pm

Author Topic: HSC Software Design and Development Question Thread  (Read 25087 times)  Share 

Coolmate

• NSW MVP - 2020
  • HSC Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • 🚀🚀Secret to getting ahead: Get Started!
  • Respect: +456
Re: HSC Software Design and Development Question Thread
« Reply #30 on: May 25, 2019, 11:43:00 am »
That's so weird how your test is just based on one chapter..
System Modelling tools:
Know their brief definitions, how they convey the software/system and their purpose like how they help the developer etc 
Know how to draw each of them for a given scenario. Most likely you will be asked a DFD/Context Diagram, and Structure chart, so make sure you pay most attention to them. System flowcharts and IPO's aren't asked as much but make sure you can draw them as well.
A very common question is asking you to convert code to the structure chart/flowchart and vice versa, especially in the MC

Representation of integers:
This parts very basic, just know whatever the textbook says. Quite straightforward

Formats, Data Types, Data Structures
Data types is quite straightforward, just know them all and the different types of data they represent. E.g Double can contain an int but they are different.
Data structures is the same, know them and what type of data each can store, noting restrictions such as an array which can only have one data type. Know why one would be favourable over another etc. A very common type of question would be where they give you a scenario and tell you to recommend a data structure - there was one in the 2018 HSC q28! Make sure you know how to use them properly in writing algorithms.
Know your control structures as those are common MC questions

Structured algorithms
This section is quite basic in the prelim course but gets really difficult in the HSC course. You may have to reproduce these algorithms in an exam so make sure you have them memorised. However it would be more helpful if you understand how they work so you can reproduce one without the need to memorise.
A very common question would be they give you an algorithm and ask you to identify the mistakes and correct them, so its important for you to be able to analyse code for errors.

If you need help with a question just post it up here and I'll get to you.
Other than that practise your algorithm writing skills and good luck! :)

Thankyou Dr Dusk for the help!
🤯HSC 2020:🤯
🔥Advanced Maths🔥 - 📚Advanced English📚 - ☄️Physics☄️ - ✌Biology✌ - 🙏SOR 1🙏 - 👨‍💻IPT👨‍💻

🎓University 2021 - 2025:
Bachelor of Science (Biology) / Bachelor of Information Technology (Cyber Security)

👊Need Motivation Click Here!💪         🌴Bio Marking and Feedback!

🧬Biology Guide:
🧪Module 5

Coolmate

• NSW MVP - 2020
  • HSC Moderator
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2019, 09:21:44 pm »
Hi everyone,

Would someone please be able to explain to me how you would be able to convert hexadecimal into decimal numbers and vice versa? and also I am confused with how desk checks work.

Thanks! ;)
🔥Advanced Maths🔥 - 📚Advanced English📚 - ☄️Physics☄️ - ✌Biology✌ - 🙏SOR 1🙏 - 👨‍💻IPT👨‍💻

🎓University 2021 - 2025:
Bachelor of Science (Biology) / Bachelor of Information Technology (Cyber Security)

🧬Biology Guide:
🧪Module 5

DrDusk

• NSW MVP - 2019
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +130
« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2019, 10:53:45 pm »
Hi everyone,

Would someone please be able to explain to me how you would be able to convert hexadecimal into decimal numbers and vice versa? and also I am confused with how desk checks work.

Thanks! ;)
There's a special technique for converting hexadecimal to decimal but I just can't remember it right now. Try and search for it, maybe someone else on here knows it. Sorry about that.

Now a desk check is just a manual way of checking the output of your algorithm. You should create a table with each variable with each column representing one variable. Then from top to bottom just write down the value of each of the variables one by one.

I want you to try this question that i have attached so I know where your problem lies. NOTE: This is a really basic exercise

Show us how you desk check

liam.berkovsky

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #33 on: May 28, 2019, 07:16:15 pm »
Hi everyone,

Thanks! ;)

Easier to just show you this rather than to try and explain it, this channel should have all the other ones such as binary as well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgVc1Tl-JDA

Coolmate

• NSW MVP - 2020
  • HSC Moderator
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #34 on: May 28, 2019, 08:58:23 pm »

Easier to just show you this rather than to try and explain it, this channel should have all the other ones such as binary as well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgVc1Tl-JDA

Oh! Ok I understand how to do it now, thanks Liam  ;D👍

🎓University 2021 - 2025:

🧬Biology Guide:
🧪Module 5

Coolmate

• NSW MVP - 2020
  • HSC Moderator
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #35 on: August 05, 2019, 10:20:09 am »
Hi everyone!

I have a major project due soon (Basketball Sports Aide) and I am having trouble with this part of it (The information is attached in an image). I am using Visual Basic and I am confused at how I am able to use parallel arrays and have the coach to be able to write information onto the file and then rewrite this back to the file? ???

Any help is much appreciated!

Thanks, Coolmate  :D
« Last Edit: August 05, 2019, 10:43:17 am by Coolmate »

🎓University 2021 - 2025:

🧬Biology Guide:
🧪Module 5

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
« Reply #36 on: August 05, 2019, 10:56:30 am »
Hi everyone,

Thanks! ;)
There's a special technique for converting hexadecimal to decimal but I just can't remember it right now. Try and search for it, maybe someone else on here knows it. Sorry about that.

Now a desk check is just a manual way of checking the output of your algorithm. You should create a table with each variable with each column representing one variable. Then from top to bottom just write down the value of each of the variables one by one.

I want you to try this question that i have attached so I know where your problem lies. NOTE: This is a really basic exercise

Show us how you desk check

I just randomly happened to see this. (Probably already figured out by now but I'll address the HEX thing anyway.)

Base 10 works through powers of 10. If I have a number, say, 92310, what I mean is \((9\times 10^2) + (2\times 10^1) + (3\times 10^0)\).

Base 16 works through powers of 16. Of course, there are a few subtleties in that
110 = 116
210 = 216
310 = 316
410 = 416
510 = 516
610 = 616
710 = 716
810 = 816
910 = 916
1010 = A16
1110 = B16
1210 = C16
1310 = D16
1410 = E16
1510 = F16

So if I have a base 16 number, say, A97E16, what I am really saying is \( (10\times 16^3) +( 9\times 16^2) +( 7\times 16^1) + (14\times 16^0)\).

(Once the expression is written out, you can just grab a calculator to do it for you.)

Trying to go the other way though (DEC to HEX) is nastier.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2019, 10:58:33 am by RuiAce »

DrDusk

• NSW MVP - 2019
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #37 on: August 05, 2019, 06:37:02 pm »
Hi everyone!

I have a major project due soon (Basketball Sports Aide) and I am having trouble with this part of it (The information is attached in an image). I am using Visual Basic and I am confused at how I am able to use parallel arrays and have the coach to be able to write information onto the file and then rewrite this back to the file? ???

Any help is much appreciated!

Thanks, Coolmate  :D

Your best friend is Stack overflow for SDD.

Coolmate

• NSW MVP - 2020
  • HSC Moderator
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #38 on: August 05, 2019, 07:08:33 pm »
I just randomly happened to see this. (Probably already figured out by now but I'll address the HEX thing anyway.)

Base 10 works through powers of 10. If I have a number, say, 92310, what I mean is \((9\times 10^2) + (2\times 10^1) + (3\times 10^0)\).

Base 16 works through powers of 16. Of course, there are a few subtleties in that
110 = 116
210 = 216
310 = 316
410 = 416
510 = 516
610 = 616
710 = 716
810 = 816
910 = 916
1010 = A16
1110 = B16
1210 = C16
1310 = D16
1410 = E16
1510 = F16

So if I have a base 16 number, say, A97E16, what I am really saying is \( (10\times 16^3) +( 9\times 16^2) +( 7\times 16^1) + (14\times 16^0)\).

(Once the expression is written out, you can just grab a calculator to do it for you.)

Trying to go the other way though (DEC to HEX) is nastier.

Awesome, cheers Rui! This will help me a lot in my prelims  8)

🎓University 2021 - 2025:

🧬Biology Guide:
🧪Module 5

Coolmate

• NSW MVP - 2020
  • HSC Moderator
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #39 on: August 05, 2019, 07:09:44 pm »
Your best friend is Stack overflow for SDD.

Yes, so true! I didn't think about Stack. Cheers DrDusk!  8)

🎓University 2021 - 2025:

🧬Biology Guide:
🧪Module 5

haidara

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #40 on: October 17, 2019, 12:49:37 pm »
Group Work Inquiry
Can you work in groups for your major? If so, how does the marking work and are there any requirements when working in groups?  :-\

DrDusk

• NSW MVP - 2019
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #41 on: October 17, 2019, 01:36:43 pm »
Group Work Inquiry
Can you work in groups for your major? If so, how does the marking work and are there any requirements when working in groups?  :-\
Well doesn't that depend on the way the teacher sets the project?

However I have personally never seen any teacher make the major group based, so the likely hood of it being group based is quite low.

gubby1707

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #42 on: October 23, 2019, 11:49:15 am »
Hi! so i have done software notes and i really struggle with understanding the algorithms in multiple choice including when a variable refers to a position or when it refers to a value. If there are any tips for that, that would be so great! Also could someone please email me at [email protected] for the independent papers asap!

Thank u
Y12 2019
Software Design & Development
Business Studies
Mathematics Standard 2
Industrial Technology - Multimedia
English (Standard)

DrDusk

• NSW MVP - 2019
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #43 on: October 23, 2019, 01:11:14 pm »
Hi! so i have done software notes and i really struggle with understanding the algorithms in multiple choice including when a variable refers to a position or when it refers to a value. If there are any tips for that, that would be so great! Also could someone please email me at [email protected] for the independent papers asap!

Thank u
Y12 2019
Software Design & Development
Business Studies
Mathematics Standard 2
Industrial Technology - Multimedia
English (Standard)
Well I mean the only way to improve on them is by doing a lot of them. The exam is tomorrow so there's not much you can do really to improve on those so quickly but you can still get better. Usually they only ask one or two of them in the mc.

You can just desk check it as well because usually it's quite a small algorithm with not many variables. It will waste more time than being able to do it in your head but at least you'll get the right answer.

Good luck for tomorrow! =)

noipali

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #44 on: July 17, 2021, 09:18:14 am »
What is the best way to finding logic errors in algorithms?
Also, are there any places to find preliminary papers? I have looked everywhere and there seems to be nothing