Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 05:24:28 am

Author Topic: Teacher keeps picking on the same student EVERYTIME!  (Read 532 times)  Share 

almostdonewithschooling

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
Teacher keeps picking on the same student EVERYTIME!
« on: April 24, 2019, 11:22:55 pm »
So being me, i sometimes participate in class (if i know the answer, i would say it). So, there's this teacher in my school who constantly picks me to read aloud and answer,every single damn time. i believe im an average student in her class, not smart nor below average. It's like whenever the whole class goes quiet, she always picks me to ask me questions or would tell me to read.(i would usually have my head down, panicking a little bit inside beforehand, because i know i was going to get picked) Being me, i have medium level of anxiety, and at times, i am a quiet student. I seriously feel like i have no motivation to go to her class anymore (only skipped one class though).

also, i've been to counselling and i hated it, and hate to confront or talk to the deans about her, because i know i'll start crying and don't want to make my teacher feel upset. Lastly, i tried to see the positives in it, and would go back to seeing the negatives. My mental health was getting better last year, but now it feels like its i won't be able to handle it much longer.

i'm in my final years of year 12, and need some tips to get through this. Thank you, if you got up to here.

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +1536
Re: Teacher keeps picking on the same student EVERYTIME!
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2019, 11:32:28 pm »
+7
and hate to confront or talk to the deans about her, because i know i'll start crying and don't want to make my teacher feel upset
Discussion usually works well. I know you don't like it but if the teacher doesn't know this, there's no way they'll be able to address it. I am confident this teacher has no idea the level of grief this is causing you.

If it is affecting you as much as you say it does - then something has to be done. Suggesting things on here won't help as well as addressing the problem head on. People on AN can't change your class/teacher for you and in your situation an inability to raise your concerns means nobody has any idea how you're feeling or even the reality of not liking being "picked on".

Might even be worth emailing the teacher if you don't feel comfortable with a face-to-face initially, or getting your parents to have a chat with the school?

i'm in my final years of year 12, and need some tips to get through this.
Well. At the school level if nothing is said:
- The teacher stays the same
- Your class stays the same
- Nobody has any idea what you're feeling or how badly being asked to answer a question is making you feel

You can suggest all the strategies that you can do personally to cope with the idea but nothing will permanently fix the issue without a resolution at the school level.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 11:37:14 pm by Aaron »
Experience in teaching at both secondary and tertiary levels.

website // new forum profile

TheEagle

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +12
Re: Teacher keeps picking on the same student EVERYTIME!
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2019, 12:02:31 am »
+3
Hey,
I had a very similar experience with one of my teachers early this year. I was constantly being the main target when the majority of the class were being a disturbance. I overcame this issue by talking to my coordinator and he forwarded it to him. After being informed by the coordinator, he approached me and apologised and shook my hand (pretty awkward stuff). Thankfully, he’s much more friendly to me and doesn’t plainly direct stuff to me. He legitimately used to stare at me 3/4 of the time when explaining the concept to the ‘class.’

Hope this helps
« Last Edit: April 25, 2019, 01:04:29 am by TheEagle »