Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 09:29:41 pm

Author Topic: UoM General Chat  (Read 4767173 times)  Share 

gemgem49

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • no hesitation
  • Respect: +35
  • School Grad Year: 2013
Re: UoM General Chat
« Reply #60 on: August 11, 2011, 07:26:38 pm »
My tutor was nice enough about it but said if the class gets fuller I won't be able to stay in it. He's such a good tutor as well, I'm scared to go to my allocated tutorial in case the other tutor isn't as good.
[ VCE 2008 ] Legal Studies 45 - English 39 - Biology 37 - History Revolutions 37 - Literature 24
ENTER: 92.80

[ 2009 - 2010 ] Arts (Global) at Monash University, Clayton.
[ 2011 ] went insane
[ 2012 ] Bachelor of Arts at Monash University, Clayton

mikee65

« Reply #61 on: August 12, 2011, 06:53:48 pm »
How are people finding BIOL10005? I think last semester was easier.

happyhappyland

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +22
« Reply #62 on: August 12, 2011, 08:50:04 pm »

super easy. i did vce bio
2011: Bachelor of Science (Melbourne)

simpak

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +376
« Reply #63 on: August 12, 2011, 11:08:03 pm »

Last semester was easier whether you did VCE Biology or not.  But it was the same for U4 v. U3 which is pretty much what the course set up mirrors.
2009 ENTER: 99.05
2014: BSci Hons (Microbiology/Immunology) at UoM
2015+: PhD (Immunology) at UoM

Massofbubbles

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Studying Biomed
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #64 on: August 16, 2011, 09:43:19 pm »
how can you recommend it if you havn't even done it yet? It could be the hardest thing ever :P

Because this is the entire assessment:

•   questions 1-4
1. What is the relationship between the development of grasslands and the development of the human race?

2. Explain the role that forests had in both the rise and fall of civilisations of the past.

3. Explain the reasons that net deforestation ceased in Europe in the 19th century and USA in the 20th century.

4. The availability of water to plants depends on more than just rainfall. Explain.
•   
 Questions 5 - 8
5 What are the characteristics of (a) tropical rainforest and (b) a temperate oceanic forest?

6. Explain how it is that mangroves can persist in an anoxic and saline environment.

7. Is the rate of deforestation increasing or decreasing? Which continent has the greatest amount of annual deforestation? Which country has the greatest amount of annual deforestation? Which country reports the greatest annual increase in forest area? Which country has the greatest harvest of timber? Which continent has the greatest proportion of fuelwood in its harvest? Which Australian forest type has the greatest proportion in reserves?

8. Explain what is meant by shifting agriculture and how this may cause deforestation.
•   
 Questions 9 - 12
Several of you have said that the 150 words guideline is insufficient to provide the answer. You may go to 200 - 250 words but please not much more.

9. What role does logging in tropical forests play in deforestation? Explain how sustainable management of tropical forests for services including wood production can help to save the forests from being cleared for agriculture.

10. What is the transitional argument?

11. Explain the reasons why forest evapotranspires more water and therefore yields less water to streams and groundwater than does grassland. Elaborate on a case study in Australia looking at the impacts of forests on streamflow.

12. Under what circumstances are forests effective in controlling soil erosion. Use the universal soil loss equation to describe the best and worst situations for causing erosion by water. Provide an Australian example where wildfire caused a serious erosion with subsequent deterioration in drinking water quality.

•   
 Questions 13 - 16
13. What is an exotic? Provide examples of exotics with negative and positive effects

14. Give reasons why biodiversity should be protected.

15. Explain the argument that wood is an environmentally superior building material than its competitors.

16. What are the key anatomical features of wood and how do conifers and non-conifers differ in their anatomies?

•   
 Questions 17 - 20
17. Compare and discuss the arguments for and against human activities being the main cause of current global warming

18. Explain the greenhouse effect.

19. What role can the good or poor management of forests play in accelerating or decelerating global warming?

20. Discuss REDD.  Why is this controversial?

Just for anyone interested. It says on the LMS that this year's questions will not be the same as the 2010 questions.

Here's some more info:

This is an intensive 6-day course held over the period 19th to 24th September 2011. (Please note that this period is advanced by one day from the dates posted in the handbook). The first 5 days (Monday September 19th to Friday September 23rd) will be lectures and tutorials and the final day (Saturday 24th September) will be a field day. The field day is a part of the course. It will be free of cost and not assessed. Watch for further announcements on specific details of the field trip.

The lectures will commence at 8.30am and conclude at 1pm and tutorials commence at 2pm and conclude at 6pm on each day. During the tutorials you will be assessed on the lectures of the morning of that day. On each day, four questions will be asked and you will be required to submit your answers via turnitin over LMS. The answers to each question will be based on material given in the lectures and supplemented by the text (Sands, R. 2005. Forestry in a Global Context, CABI) and any other resources you may scavenge. The answer to each question should be approximately 150 – 200 words. All answers are of equal value, each being 5% of the total assessment (5x4=20 questions in all). There will be ample time within the four hours in the afternoon to complete and submit these answers. You are encouraged to do so although answers will still be accepted up until Friday 30th September (one week after completion of the lecture course). The questions for the day will be placed on LMS immediately following the lectures of the day. Computer labs will be available for the afternoons and staff will be available to answer any queries you may have. However, we encourage you to bring your own computer for use in the student learning spaces that we have booked for the tutorials. This will give you greater control over your access to web resources and to submission via the LMS.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 09:45:02 pm by Massofbubbles »

mikee65

« Reply #65 on: August 17, 2011, 10:19:57 am »
^ I see you've enrolled  :D,

8:30 everyday though..

Sah123

« Reply #66 on: August 17, 2011, 12:56:47 pm »
Okay, so I have a bit of an issue. I am worried about a marketing group assignment because most of the people in my tute aren't up to the same level of English as I am and I find myself having to repeat myself and explaining concepts they can't quite grasp straight away. In marking our assignment, would any of this be taken into account? I don't want to be disadvantaged because of group members.

Russ

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +661
« Reply #67 on: August 17, 2011, 01:42:22 pm »
Talk to your tutor privately about it, I've done it before.

Sah123

« Reply #68 on: August 17, 2011, 02:24:00 pm »
Thanks, Russ. It's an awkward topic to discuss. I don't want to seem rude or judgemental, it's not a personal issue whatsoever - just an issue of marks.

Kopite

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #69 on: August 17, 2011, 03:35:11 pm »
Okay, so I have a bit of an issue. I am worried about a marketing group assignment because most of the people in my tute aren't up to the same level of English as I am and I find myself having to repeat myself and explaining concepts they can't quite grasp straight away. In marking our assignment, would any of this be taken into account? I don't want to be disadvantaged because of group members.

if your tutor doesnt care, go to your lecturer/course co-ordinator. should be some kind of peer assessment.

anti

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #70 on: August 17, 2011, 06:49:25 pm »

I was actually in the exact same position in marketing last year, except my tutor was away at the time.  When I brought it up a bit later, she was more than happy to talk to me about it and if needed give people different marks.  So although it's stressful, try to relax because there are ways to deal with these issues.

qshyrn

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #71 on: August 17, 2011, 08:30:41 pm »
how can you recommend it if you havn't even done it yet? It could be the hardest thing ever :P

Because this is the entire assessment:

•   questions 1-4
1. What is the relationship between the development of grasslands and the development of the human race?

2. Explain the role that forests had in both the rise and fall of civilisations of the past.

3. Explain the reasons that net deforestation ceased in Europe in the 19th century and USA in the 20th century.

4. The availability of water to plants depends on more than just rainfall. Explain.
•   
 Questions 5 - 8
5 What are the characteristics of (a) tropical rainforest and (b) a temperate oceanic forest?

6. Explain how it is that mangroves can persist in an anoxic and saline environment.

7. Is the rate of deforestation increasing or decreasing? Which continent has the greatest amount of annual deforestation? Which country has the greatest amount of annual deforestation? Which country reports the greatest annual increase in forest area? Which country has the greatest harvest of timber? Which continent has the greatest proportion of fuelwood in its harvest? Which Australian forest type has the greatest proportion in reserves?

8. Explain what is meant by shifting agriculture and how this may cause deforestation.
•   
 Questions 9 - 12
Several of you have said that the 150 words guideline is insufficient to provide the answer. You may go to 200 - 250 words but please not much more.

9. What role does logging in tropical forests play in deforestation? Explain how sustainable management of tropical forests for services including wood production can help to save the forests from being cleared for agriculture.

10. What is the transitional argument?

11. Explain the reasons why forest evapotranspires more water and therefore yields less water to streams and groundwater than does grassland. Elaborate on a case study in Australia looking at the impacts of forests on streamflow.

12. Under what circumstances are forests effective in controlling soil erosion. Use the universal soil loss equation to describe the best and worst situations for causing erosion by water. Provide an Australian example where wildfire caused a serious erosion with subsequent deterioration in drinking water quality.

•   
 Questions 13 - 16
13. What is an exotic? Provide examples of exotics with negative and positive effects

14. Give reasons why biodiversity should be protected.

15. Explain the argument that wood is an environmentally superior building material than its competitors.

16. What are the key anatomical features of wood and how do conifers and non-conifers differ in their anatomies?

•   
 Questions 17 - 20
17. Compare and discuss the arguments for and against human activities being the main cause of current global warming

18. Explain the greenhouse effect.

19. What role can the good or poor management of forests play in accelerating or decelerating global warming?

20. Discuss REDD.  Why is this controversial?

Just for anyone interested. It says on the LMS that this year's questions will not be the same as the 2010 questions.

Here's some more info:

This is an intensive 6-day course held over the period 19th to 24th September 2011. (Please note that this period is advanced by one day from the dates posted in the handbook). The first 5 days (Monday September 19th to Friday September 23rd) will be lectures and tutorials and the final day (Saturday 24th September) will be a field day. The field day is a part of the course. It will be free of cost and not assessed. Watch for further announcements on specific details of the field trip.

The lectures will commence at 8.30am and conclude at 1pm and tutorials commence at 2pm and conclude at 6pm on each day. During the tutorials you will be assessed on the lectures of the morning of that day. On each day, four questions will be asked and you will be required to submit your answers via turnitin over LMS. The answers to each question will be based on material given in the lectures and supplemented by the text (Sands, R. 2005. Forestry in a Global Context, CABI) and any other resources you may scavenge. The answer to each question should be approximately 150 – 200 words. All answers are of equal value, each being 5% of the total assessment (5x4=20 questions in all). There will be ample time within the four hours in the afternoon to complete and submit these answers. You are encouraged to do so although answers will still be accepted up until Friday 30th September (one week after completion of the lecture course). The questions for the day will be placed on LMS immediately following the lectures of the day. Computer labs will be available for the afternoons and staff will be available to answer any queries you may have. However, we encourage you to bring your own computer for use in the student learning spaces that we have booked for the tutorials. This will give you greater control over your access to web resources and to submission via the LMS.
whens the latest we can enrol in this subject?

Slumdawg

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +65
« Reply #72 on: August 17, 2011, 10:19:40 pm »
LOL awkward if you're in my tute :P
2010 ATAR: 98.35 - Psychology [50] Media Studies [47
2011-'13: Bachelor of Biomedicine [Neuroscience Major] at Melbourne Uni 
2014-'17: Doctor of Medicine (MD) at Melbourne Uni 

Sah123

« Reply #73 on: August 17, 2011, 11:14:28 pm »
+1
Phew, thanks for advice, guys! I feel a little more optimistic about my situation now.
Slumdawg, very awks! haha

simpak

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +376
« Reply #74 on: August 19, 2011, 12:05:26 am »
BIOL10005 people: For E-fly, the bit with the table, how exactly do they want us to do it?  Like, the program asks you to copy and paste it into excel and then the word template is like 'paste your data below'.  So do they want us to /make/ a table in excel, and then copy and paste that into the word template or just screencap it and paste in a picture (like I did, because I am lazy, but it's really small)?  Or do they want to paste it in directly from the program so it's not aligned properly?  Failed instructions, or I didn't read it well enough.

I didn't think this rendered an actual thread.  I'd ask my friends this question, but none of them have started as they are normal, but I want to get rid of this so I can work on my lab report for another subject.  Also I ceebs walking to Redmond Barry from the other side of campus on the day it's actually due.
2009 ENTER: 99.05
2014: BSci Hons (Microbiology/Immunology) at UoM
2015+: PhD (Immunology) at UoM