Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 05:46:21 pm

Author Topic: HSC Modern History Question Thread  (Read 347895 times)  Share 

Belkelly

• Adventurer
  • "Nothing worth having comes easy"
  • Respect: +5
  • School: Tumut High School
  • School Grad Year: 2017
Re: 94 in Modern: Ask Me Anything!
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2016, 01:56:48 pm »
Hi Jake,

Thanks so much for the WW1 sards. I find them really helpful! I've just started HSC modern history and wondered if there was a way to do SARDS for the other subjects such as Advanced English and Biology.
Did you do Sards for these subjects also?

jakesilove

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Synergising your ATAR potential"
  • Respect: +196
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2016, 03:42:40 pm »
Hi Jake,

Thanks so much for the WW1 sards. I find them really helpful! I've just started HSC modern history and wondered if there was a way to do SARDS for the other subjects such as Advanced English and Biology.
Did you do Sards for these subjects also?

Hey Belkelly!

I think it is a great idea to treat other subjects as though they have SARDEs, and the write worksheets for them accordingly. I didn't do that, only because I discovered the worksheet method very late in the year, but I would strongly recommend you write some yourself! If you wanted help editing them or anything like that, please post on the forums.

I'm glad you enjoyed the resource!

Jake
ATAR: 99.80

Mathematics Extension 2: 93
Physics: 93
Chemistry: 93
Modern History: 94
English Advanced: 95
Mathematics: 96
Mathematics Extension 1: 98

Studying a combined Advanced Science/Law degree at UNSW

Sarahhhhhb

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
  • School Grad Year: 2016
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2016, 09:20:57 pm »
Hey!
I'm working on the essay "Evaluate Hitler’s role in the Nazi state between 1933 and 1939" but I'm not sure what to include/how to structure the answer. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!
Sarah

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #18 on: February 29, 2016, 11:18:03 am »
Hey!
I'm working on the essay "Evaluate Hitler’s role in the Nazi state between 1933 and 1939" but I'm not sure what to include/how to structure the answer. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!
Sarah

Hey Sarah! You need to make an opinion here, and this is a really cool question because you could go either way and be right! Personally, I argue that Hitler's role in the Nazi state was important but not conclusive. I specifically give mention to the propaganda ministry for their role in perpetuating Fuhrerprinzip and creating the complete atomisation of society through strict maintenance of propaganda. Hitler simply would not have the power that he did if the propaganda ministry wasn't strong.

The Gestapo, SS and SA also played an enormous role in the Nazi state. I mean, they created utter terror in the state. They were the brutal enforcement of everything Hitler had to say.

Don't forget, that the Nazi state was a polycratic government. Some historians argue that Hitler was just a figure head, others argue he made the biggest decisions and therefore was extremely important.

The dotpoint on totalitarianism will help you with this question. To me, the Nazi state simply could not have existed in the way it did, if it did not extensively use terror and propaganda! To me, Hitler was the figurehead of the fuhrerprinzip idea but I believe he was easily distracted by side projects, like the architecture he worked on with Albert Speer.

This is simply my opinion, of course, but I'm showing you how you can argue this. Perhaps you think that Hitler was the most important person in all of this and could have worked independently of all other help?

Hopefully this assists you a bit!

Remember, the question asks you to evaluate. So you definitely need to form an opinion and argue it! :)
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

Sarahhhhhb

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #19 on: February 29, 2016, 03:43:58 pm »
Hey Sarah! You need to make an opinion here, and this is a really cool question because you could go either way and be right! Personally, I argue that Hitler's role in the Nazi state was important but not conclusive. I specifically give mention to the propaganda ministry for their role in perpetuating Fuhrerprinzip and creating the complete atomisation of society through strict maintenance of propaganda. Hitler simply would not have the power that he did if the propaganda ministry wasn't strong.

The Gestapo, SS and SA also played an enormous role in the Nazi state. I mean, they created utter terror in the state. They were the brutal enforcement of everything Hitler had to say.

Don't forget, that the Nazi state was a polycratic government. Some historians argue that Hitler was just a figure head, others argue he made the biggest decisions and therefore was extremely important.

The dotpoint on totalitarianism will help you with this question. To me, the Nazi state simply could not have existed in the way it did, if it did not extensively use terror and propaganda! To me, Hitler was the figurehead of the fuhrerprinzip idea but I believe he was easily distracted by side projects, like the architecture he worked on with Albert Speer.

This is simply my opinion, of course, but I'm showing you how you can argue this. Perhaps you think that Hitler was the most important person in all of this and could have worked independently of all other help?

Hopefully this assists you a bit!

Remember, the question asks you to evaluate. So you definitely need to form an opinion and argue it! :)

Thanks heaps, that was really helpful! :)

chuckiecheese

• Adventurer
  • School: Trinity Catholic College Lismore
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2016, 11:54:04 am »
So my half yearly's are in a week. The core and Germany from 1919-1939. In the second essay question, I will have a choice (presumably), between Weimar Germany and Nazi Germany. Should I choose the Nazi question or the Weimar question? Will my marks be disregarded if I chose one over the other?

Just a thought.

Cheers

jakesilove

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2016, 01:30:00 pm »
So my half yearly's are in a week. The core and Germany from 1919-1939. In the second essay question, I will have a choice (presumably), between Weimar Germany and Nazi Germany. Should I choose the Nazi question or the Weimar question? Will my marks be disregarded if I chose one over the other?

Just a thought.

Cheers

Hey!

So I'll just quickly summarise the general trend in terms of assessment/marking for each question. The crux of it is that it really doesn't matter which you choose: go with the one you are stronger with! However, there are definite points to make for each.

Weimar: Generally considered the 'easier' question. This isn't always the case, obviously, but usually more students choose this question than the Nazi question. As such, it is marked more harshly, a lot of the time. That being said, it usually is easier, so despite the harder marking you'll still do well as you will write a great essay. Remembering that more students choose this section, try to have a unique thesis!

Nazi: Generally considered the 'harder' question. This isn't always the case, obviously, but usually less students choose this question than the Weimar question. As such, it can be marked "more easily" some of the time. However, often coming up with a sustained thesis is difficult, so if you have trouble with this sections stick with Weimar.

So, in the end, it's whichever you prefer/are stronger in. If you are exactly as confident in both, I generally choose the Nazi question as fewer students do it. But really, it doesn't matter that much!

Hope this helps!

Jake

chuckiecheese

• Adventurer
  • School: Trinity Catholic College Lismore
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2016, 02:49:15 pm »
Hey Man,

Did you do extension history? It would be great if someone could beef up that forum on this site!

Cheers

jakesilove

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2016, 02:54:06 pm »
Hey Man,

Did you do extension history? It would be great if someone could beef up that forum on this site!

Cheers

Hey! Unfortunately I didn't, but if you want to post any notes or questions please feel free to! We will be constantly expanding over the next few months, so hopefully we get more activity on that end :)

Jake

imtrying

• Trendsetter
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2016, 09:31:31 am »
Hey :)
I have an essay for my midcourse on To what extent was the collapse of the Weimar Republic the result of the Depression
I've submitted a draft to my teacher and she suggested I add in some info about the Dawes and Young Plan. How does this tie in? Is it just that foreign banks couldn't continue to assist due to the Depression?
Thanks so much
Year 12 2016 (94.20)
English (Adv), Maths Ext.1, Modern History, Biology and Physics

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2016, 01:52:05 pm »
+1
Hey :)
I have an essay for my midcourse on To what extent was the collapse of the Weimar Republic the result of the Depression
I've submitted a draft to my teacher and she suggested I add in some info about the Dawes and Young Plan. How does this tie in? Is it just that foreign banks couldn't continue to assist due to the Depression?
Thanks so much

Hey! So under the Dawes Plan, USA gave Germany a loan of $200million USD. So when the US started to fall economically because of the Depression, they were absolutely not going to use their spare cash to help Germany out. So you're absolutely right, the foreign banks definitely couldn't play a bigger role than what the Dawes and Young Plans hoped for - in fact it was a struggle to even reach that quota!

Son of Thatcher

• Trailblazer
  • "Live free or die."
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2016, 12:30:13 pm »
Hey Man,

Cheers

I do it myself. Although I don't consider myself super knowledgable on the subject, there are some great guides online if you're stuck - I found that they really helped me get my head around how to write a response.
2016 HSC

Advanced English (89) | Business Studies (92) | Legal Studies (94) | History Extension (47) | Ancient History (92) | Modern History (92)

ATAR: 97.55

Bachelor of Laws @ UTS

"Be wary of so-called 'pure' intentions, lest you do more harm with open hands than with a clenched fist"

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2016, 01:45:05 pm »
I do it myself. Although I don't consider myself super knowledgable on the subject, there are some great guides online if you're stuck - I found that they really helped me get my head around how to write a response.
Hey Man,

Cheers

Hey you two, it would be awesome if you could work together on the History Extension forum to give that some strength. If you find something helpful for the course, post it in the forum, if you have a question, post it in the forum, or maybe an interesting fact, a link to a great source, etc. We'd love to grow to as many subjects as possible but we are limited by who we have in our community. No rush, the two of you, but if you ever think of something that others could benefit from, please post it into the History Extension forum! No need to be super knowledgeable, you just have to do the course and either want to help or want help yourself! :) Thanks for being so involved :)

Annie98

• Fresh Poster
  • School: Cheltenham
Re: Modern History Question Thread
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2016, 09:25:11 am »
Hi Jake :)

So for my half yearly test I am doing an extended response on the two dot points:
- rise to power of the Khmer Rouge on Cambodia
- nature, aims and methods of pol pot
which are under option C ( conflicts in Indochina).
I haven't been given the question, so I was wondering if you have any suggestions on possible extended response Q that I could do as practise essays.

Also this is my first extended response assessment task for MH so I'm feeling really really nervous. Do you have any tips on staying calm and on task during the test?

Thank you so much 😊
Oh and happy Easter ( if you celebrate it) or if not have a lovely long weekend 😅

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
Re: Modern History Question Thread
« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2016, 10:39:13 am »
Hi Jake :)

So for my half yearly test I am doing an extended response on the two dot points:
- rise to power of the Khmer Rouge on Cambodia
- nature, aims and methods of pol pot
which are under option C ( conflicts in Indochina).
I haven't been given the question, so I was wondering if you have any suggestions on possible extended response Q that I could do as practise essays.

Also this is my first extended response assessment task for MH so I'm feeling really really nervous. Do you have any tips on staying calm and on task during the test?

Thank you so much 😊
Oh and happy Easter ( if you celebrate it) or if not have a lovely long weekend 😅

Hi Annie! I'm not Jake, but I did study those topics and Jake did a different topic for that section.

They've picked my favourite part of that syllabus (or...the only part I liked at all haha).

So these are likely questions they could ask:
Account for the rise of the Khmer Rouge in Cambodia.
To what extent did the Khmer Rouge change society in Cambodia?
Analyse how the Khmer Rouge created the state of Kampuchea.
To what extent did the Khmer Rouge achieve their aims in Cambodia?

As for staying calm in the exam:
I was the kind of student who needed to make a quick list of things I would discuss as soon as I looked at the question (during writing time, not reading time hehe). So, if my essay question was "To what extent did the Khmer Rouge change society in Cambodia?" I would quickly scribble,
-form of government
-agrarian peasant state
-new ideology
-civil war
-Four year plan

So these would dictate my paragraphs when I'm having an inspiration strike at the start. This way, when I get half way through the essay I don't stop and think, "hmm, what next?" Instead, I save time and continually move through just by being re-prompted by my notes. Sometimes I would flesh ideas out. Like "Four year plan" and then write nearby - property, marriages, workforce, S-21. Then I knew exactly what would go in my paragraph.

Before you go in, know your weaknesses. If you are a slow writer you should probably get a start on the essay early. If you are slow to analyse sources, then just spend your entire reading time analysing the sources so you're ready to pump out a response as soon as the time starts.

Don't stress, and don't stop writing until the end! If you have time left over you'll be exhausted and not want to keep going, but keep revising for extra marks!

You'll do awesome!