Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 09:40:09 am

Author Topic: Unit 3 - Student experiment  (Read 2472 times)

paige.p

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Unit 3 - Student experiment
« on: February 07, 2020, 03:11:51 pm »
+1
Hey guys,

So I am about to start my IA2 and i was wondering if you had suggestions on how i could modify the original experiment we did in class. I have attached a photo of the original experiment.

the original experiment: Conduct an experiment to investigate the strength of a magnet at various distances.

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
Re: Unit 3 - Student experiment
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2020, 03:32:42 pm »
+4
Hi Paige,

Welcome to the forums! :)

Your original experiment suggests investigating the impact of changing the orientation of one of your magnets. If you wanted to investigate a different variable that was controlled in the original, you could look at something like the impact of multiple magnets (but imo this wouldn't be as easy to show off your qce syllabus knowledge). You could also look at alternate ways of measuring magnetic field strength for use in your investigation or even compare different methods of measuring magnetic field strength as your investigation (phone app, inducing current, force on scale, etc.)

I would also encourage you to think about anything you noticed could be improved about your original - e.g. if you were only having small variation in your readings, then it's harder to tell your results from the uncertainty. If you did a full write up on the original experiment you should already have listed some of these limitations and how they could be addressed.

My main advice here is:
- pick something where you can readily talk about results using the physics syllabus
- KEEP IT SIMPLE. Like, really simple
- work with others in your class on planning the investigation together (note: after all the data has been collected you need to work individually)

Hope this helps and let me know if you have any more questions :)

paige.p

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2020, 03:38:10 pm »
Thank you so much Bri  :D

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2020, 03:41:40 pm »
Thank you so much Bri  :D

No worries at all :D

If you have any follow up question at all please feel free to let me know & update us on how it goes!