Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 10:23:12 am

Author Topic: English Advanced Question Thread  (Read 1231825 times)

alice343

• MOTM: MAY 20
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +125
Re: English Advanced Question Thread
« Reply #4575 on: February 08, 2020, 08:59:12 pm »
+1
Hey goiiisss, does anyone have Rosemary Dobson's poetry as their Common Module prescribed text? If so, are there any useful resources for analysis of her poems? I would greatly appreciate anything, thank you!
2020 HSC: English Advanced, Modern History, Legal Studies, Japanese Beginners, Society and Culture, History Extension

Fluffysama_

• MOTM: June 20
  • Forum Regular
  • happy n free child~
  • Respect: +39
« Reply #4576 on: February 08, 2020, 10:46:36 pm »
+1
Hello, for my mod A im doing Richard III and Looking for Richard, sadly I can't seem to find any sites online ( free ) that i'm able to stream looking for richard on, any tips and if you know where to watch for free, please link or let me know
Thank you very very much

HEY I FOUND ONE ! :)
Thankyou for the reply :D

https://w0.123movie.uk/looking-for-richard-1996/

its one of the dodgy ones but it works!
Class of 2020: Advanced English, Japanese Beginners, Economics, Music 1, Visual Arts

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
  • Musical Theatre Tragic And Ultimate Pun Generator
  • Respect: +1026
« Reply #4577 on: February 08, 2020, 10:57:12 pm »
+1
Hey goiiisss, does anyone have Rosemary Dobson's poetry as their Common Module prescribed text? If so, are there any useful resources for analysis of her poems? I would greatly appreciate anything, thank you!

Hey, alice343!

I compiled a bunch of Common Module further reading links which you can have a look at under Rosemary Dobson for some interesting resources!

You could also check out this book PDF and this article to get a good feel of her life (and vibe) as a poet. This might help you take into account her personal life and writing style in your analysis. I'll add these to the compilation too so you can view them all in one go  :)

HEY I FOUND ONE ! :)
Thankyou for the reply :D

https://w0.123movie.uk/looking-for-richard-1996/

its one of the dodgy ones but it works!

And amazing! This will be so helpful for other RIII/LFR students  :) Keen to see many more questions from the both of you here!

Angelina  ;D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music

Joelle F-J

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #4578 on: February 14, 2020, 09:32:50 am »
For my English Advanced assessment task 1, we have to "reveal a deep understanding of human experiences through comparison of TWO texts (The Crucible & a related text) in response to the following statement: Collective human experiences can unite and, at the same time, isolate us."

I am having trouble understanding what the statement means by experiences uniting and isolating at the same time. Any ideas?

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #4579 on: February 14, 2020, 01:00:09 pm »
+1
For my English Advanced assessment task 1, we have to "reveal a deep understanding of human experiences through comparison of TWO texts (The Crucible & a related text) in response to the following statement: Collective human experiences can unite and, at the same time, isolate us."

I am having trouble understanding what the statement means by experiences uniting and isolating at the same time. Any ideas?

Hey, Joelle F-J!

A warm welcome to the forums  ;D The question you have been given is looking at the paradoxical nature of human motivations and behaviours from a collective point of view. This links to the rubric statement "anomalies, paradoxes and inconsistencies" since the question contains a paradox (something being able to both unite and also isolate at the same time). You'll need to suggest what the audience gains from viewing this paradox; with The Crucible, you could consider how audiences are educated on the detrimental impacts of collective misguidance as the effect of the text.

How I would recommend approaching this question is finding examples of where instances of collective movement/thought/action has resulted in others being isolated or marginalised. An example from The Crucible could be when the women in Salem who are usually powerless all unite and pretend to know who the witches are or not in court, eventually accusing people like Elizabeth who is inherently righteous. This is a great scenario where collective experiences can benefit certain individuals and groups in society but cause others to be left alone. Hope that helps and let me know if you have any further questions!

Angelina  ;D

-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-

Joelle F-J

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #4580 on: February 14, 2020, 09:49:41 pm »
+1
Hey, Joelle F-J!

A warm welcome to the forums  ;D The question you have been given is looking at the paradoxical nature of human motivations and behaviours from a collective point of view. This links to the rubric statement "anomalies, paradoxes and inconsistencies" since the question contains a paradox (something being able to both unite and also isolate at the same time). You'll need to suggest what the audience gains from viewing this paradox; with The Crucible, you could consider how audiences are educated on the detrimental impacts of collective misguidance as the effect of the text.

How I would recommend approaching this question is finding examples of where instances of collective movement/thought/action has resulted in others being isolated or marginalised. An example from The Crucible could be when the women in Salem who are usually powerless all unite and pretend to know who the witches are or not in court, eventually accusing people like Elizabeth who is inherently righteous. This is a great scenario where collective experiences can benefit certain individuals and groups in society but cause others to be left alone. Hope that helps and let me know if you have any further questions!

Angelina  ;D

Thank you so much Angelina!
I was wondering if you maybe had some examples of this type of paradox from Aldous Huxley's Brave New World? I am using it as my related text.

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #4581 on: February 15, 2020, 04:47:05 pm »
+2
Thank you so much Angelina!
I was wondering if you maybe had some examples of this type of paradox from Aldous Huxley's Brave New World? I am using it as my related text.

Hey, Joelle F-J!

Nice to see you doing Brave New World for the related text! A really good example of where you can see this paradox occurring in Brave New World is when John is confronted by the World State's society. His inability to align himself with their collective motives, behaviours and beliefs because they collide with his own shows how the society's unity has resulted in an individual's alienation because of his differences in values.  You can also link this to Bernard who feels similarly because of the caste system which is designed for people to find a sense of community and identity, but due to his short height and inferiority complex, it leads him to isolate himself from the collective. Hope that gives you some direction to head in and good luck for the assessment  :)

Angelina  ;D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-

milie10

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +7
« Reply #4582 on: February 16, 2020, 11:07:04 pm »
Hi!!

"Winston kept his back turned to the telescreen. It was safer, though, as he well knew, even a back can be revealing."
Does anyone know a suitable technique for this 1984 quote? If there's none, does anyone have a quote suggestion? The aim of this sentence is to prove how the Party's invasive control over their citizens through surveillance leads to fear in the individual.

Thanks!!
« Last Edit: February 16, 2020, 11:11:45 pm by milie10 »

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Bibliophile. Stationery addict.
  • Respect: +1010
« Reply #4583 on: February 17, 2020, 12:15:38 am »
+3
Hi!!

"Winston kept his back turned to the telescreen. It was safer, though, as he well knew, even a back can be revealing."
Does anyone know a suitable technique for this 1984 quote? If there's none, does anyone have a quote suggestion? The aim of this sentence is to prove how the Party's invasive control over their citizens through surveillance leads to fear in the individual.

Thanks!!
Hey there,

I would say neologism for the word "telescreen" since it symbolises not only how language has evolved from the 1940s to the 1980s, but also how technology has drastically evolved as the term "telescreen" allows us to compare to a mean of communication and its sole purpose is to provide a constant flow of communication, not only to Winston but mainly to the Inner Party.

Hope this helps!
2018 HSC: English Advanced | Mathematics | Physics | Modern History | History Extension | Society and Culture | Studies of Religion I

ATAR: 93.60

2019: Aerospace Engineering (Hons)  @ UNSW

ComTamJDM

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #4584 on: February 23, 2020, 08:28:27 pm »
Hey guys, has anyone done the Iliad? If so, can you guys give me tips for it as I'm finding it hard to write essays on as there aren't a lot of online resources for it.

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #4585 on: February 23, 2020, 11:03:50 pm »
+3
Hey guys, has anyone done the Iliad? If so, can you guys give me tips for it as I'm finding it hard to write essays on as there aren't a lot of online resources for it.

Hey, ComTamJDM!

A warm welcome to the forums  :D Are you studying The Iliad as a text in school? I'm just in a bit of shock because that's definitely not a text that your school should be prescribing whether you are in Year 11 or 12 and I wouldn't recommend it as a related text either. I have read it myself and will be happy to provide help if you have any further questions but just want to clarify that you're actually doing it as a text?

Angelina  ;D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-

ComTamJDM

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #4586 on: February 25, 2020, 07:10:22 pm »
Hey, ComTamJDM!

A warm welcome to the forums  :D Are you studying The Iliad as a text in school? I'm just in a bit of shock because that's definitely not a text that your school should be prescribing whether you are in Year 11 or 12 and I wouldn't recommend it as a related text either. I have read it myself and will be happy to provide help if you have any further questions but just want to clarify that you're actually doing it as a text?

Angelina  ;D

Thanks. Yes, my school is making us study Book 22 of the Iliad only as well as two other texts which include A Vindication of the rights of woman (Chapter 6 I think), Tell-Tale Heart, and To This Day. We have a 3 part assessment for English but I'm not sure about which text to choose from.

This is the question for my critical mini essay.
'Individuals appreciate and develop their understanding of complex ideas through the reading of authentic texts'.
Evaluate this statement in reference to the texts mentioned above.

I have also an imaginative piece to write but I have no clue on what to do.

Help would be greatly appreciated.

Thankss

John  ;D

ComTamJDM

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #4587 on: February 25, 2020, 07:10:38 pm »
Hey, ComTamJDM!

Angelina  ;D

Thanks. Yes, my school is making us study Book 22 of the Iliad only as well as two other texts which include A Vindication of the rights of woman (Chapter 6 I think), Tell-Tale Heart, and To This Day. We have a 3 part assessment for English but I'm not sure about which text to choose from.

This is the question for my critical mini essay.
'Individuals appreciate and develop their understanding of complex ideas through the reading of authentic texts'.
Evaluate this statement in reference to the texts mentioned above.

I have also an imaginative piece to write but I have no clue on what to do.

Help would be greatly appreciated.

Thankss

John  ;D

Coolmate

• NSW MVP - 2020
  • HSC Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • 🚀🚀Secret to getting ahead: Get Started!
  • Respect: +456
« Reply #4588 on: March 04, 2020, 08:40:54 pm »
Hey everyone,

I have an assessment where I have to create a discursive speech for Module A and am confused with how to write a discursive speech/ structure it and how to integrate evidence (quotes) to support the context for which both of my prescribed texts are written.
Any suggestions will be much appreciated! ;D

Thanks in advance!
Coolmate
🤯HSC 2020:🤯
🔥Advanced Maths🔥 - 📚Advanced English📚 - ☄️Physics☄️ - ✌Biology✌ - 🙏SOR 1🙏 - 👨‍💻IPT👨‍💻

🎓University 2021 - 2025:
Bachelor of Science (Biology) / Bachelor of Information Technology (Cyber Security)

👊Need Motivation Click Here!💪         🌴Bio Marking and Feedback!

🧬Biology Guide:
🧪Module 5

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #4589 on: March 08, 2020, 02:35:22 pm »
+4
Hey everyone,

I have an assessment where I have to create a discursive speech for Module A and am confused with how to write a discursive speech/ structure it and how to integrate evidence (quotes) to support the context for which both of my prescribed texts are written.
Any suggestions will be much appreciated! ;D

Thanks in advance!
Coolmate

Hey, Coolmate!

Hopefully this response isn't too delayed! Discursive writing is incredibly flexible and fluid but ultimately, your aim is to discuss an idea or topic without bias or a predetermined opinion in order to enable your audience themselves to come to a decision on how they think/feel. When it comes to integrating quotes, you shouldn't (unless your school wants you to and in which it would deviate from the definition of a discursive speech anyway) be asked to identify or analyse techniques. Rather, you should only be using them to inform your discussion and the speech should remain an exploration of contextual influence on the construction, and relevance, of different texts. Beyond this, it really is up to you how you structure it so long as you have an introduction, body/bodies and conclusion. If you have been given a question, perhaps that might help me provide further advice  :D

Some really great TED Talks that are in a discursive style and address literary figures' and their works include Jane Austen- an 18th century woman for the 21st century and Why Shakespeare? Because it's 2016. These can be great samples on how you can still explore a text without having to analyse it in the conventional way we do in HSC English :) Hope this helps and do follow up with any other questions!

Angelina  ;D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-