Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 09:58:12 pm

Author Topic: Lexical patterning  (Read 14015 times)  Share 

walnut

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Lexical patterning
« on: December 12, 2017, 09:07:32 pm »
+2
Hi
Could someone briefly explain what lexical choice and patterning is?
Thanks
« Last Edit: December 12, 2017, 09:15:24 pm by walnut »
you become what you study- Anonymus

cookiedream

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +410
Re: Lexical patterning
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2017, 09:08:35 pm »
+4
Hello!

Well, any kind of patterning is pretty much a stylistic feature. That is, it is a linguistic feature that is used deliberately for a specific purpose, particularly for creating emphasis. For example, lexical repetition (the only form of lexical patterning I can think of) emphasises the thing that it's repeating (e.g. ATAR, ATAR, ATAR!!! << emphasises 'ATAR').

Lexical choice is, in a nutshell, word choice. Because lexeme = word.

Hope that helped!

- cookiedream
VCE: (click the links below to view my guides)
2016: Methods [44], Psych [48]
2017: Bio [50], Eng Lang, Chem, Spec
ATAR: 99.75 | UMAT: 88th
2018-2022: Bachelor of Medical Science/Doctor of Medicine @ Monash University

! No longer offering tutoring !

MathsQuestIsBad

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +14
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2018, 09:45:55 am »
+2
Hello!

Well, any kind of patterning is pretty much a stylistic feature. That is, it is a linguistic feature that is used deliberately for a specific purpose, particularly for creating emphasis. For example, lexical repetition (the only form of lexical patterning I can think of) emphasises the thing that it's repeating (e.g. ATAR, ATAR, ATAR!!! << emphasises 'ATAR').

Lexical choice is, in a nutshell, word choice. Because lexeme = word.

Hope that helped!

- cookiedream

While we're here, I'd love to ask about 'syntactic patterning'. My textbook really only describes syntactic patterning in informal language as the ellipsis of prepositions because lazy speech (see what I did there? :D) It would be great if you or someone can expand on this! Cheers!

TheAspiringDoc

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2018, 10:15:12 am »
+3
Hey,

So syntactic patterning is basically deliberately ordering a sentence in a certain sequence so for a given purpose (e.g. For coherent/cohesive syntax or to memorably highlight the most important elements of the sentence).

The three types as per the study design are:
Antithesis: using syntactical structure to show contrasts (write quickly and you will never write well, but write well and you will soon write quickly)
Listing: can use dot points or commas (I study methods, spec, Lang, and chem)
Parallelism: repeating similar clauses or phrases to emphasise a theme (see Churchill's speech, we shall fight on the beaches)

mtDNA

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +55
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2018, 12:20:07 am »
+4
Hi
Could someone briefly explain what lexical choice and patterning is?
Thanks

Just to add on:

Lexical patterning is essentially the repetition of lexemes throughout a text, with simple lexical patterning being the repetition of the same word, whilst complex lexical patterning is the repetition of the same word with different derivational/inflectional morphemes attached. As already mentioned, this may be used to emphasise a certain point (the interlocutor’s social purpose may be linked here), as well as to bolster the cohesive nature of the text (by creating semantic links between sentences). Just note that this differs to morphological patterning - examples include ‘mishy mashy’ and ‘He studies philosophy, geography, and sociology'.

With lexical choice (i.e. word choice), this can be important, say, if the writer/reader wants to increase the entertainment value of his/her piece, or add a sense of flair to the text - this is commonly done with hyperbole. There are plenty of other implications of lexical choice; you will mainly discuss these in the AC. And with syntactic patterning, you will almost certainly refer to the three in your AC since they are usually easy to find and good to talk about with reference to the social purpose of a text.

Tutoring by ATAR Notes - learn more!

ATAR: 99.20
Biomedicine (Unimelb): 2018-2020
Doctor of Medicine (Unimelb): 2021-2024