Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 30, 2024, 12:56:35 am

Author Topic: HSC Legal Studies Question Thread  (Read 568176 times)  Share 

youii

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Re: HSC Legal Studies Question Thread
« Reply #2190 on: November 02, 2019, 01:19:23 pm »
You can literally almost use any of them for any points but it depends on how well you can adapt them to the questions. But if we do get asked about the conduct of hostilities most definitely I will be using them.

Good luck I'm failing

Thankunext

• Trailblazer
« Reply #2191 on: November 03, 2019, 06:22:35 pm »
Hey!

Does anyone have any cases for changing nature of parental responsibility? And law reform for surrogacy and birth technologies? There seems to only be one legislation???

Many thanks!

katie,rinos

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1151
« Reply #2192 on: November 03, 2019, 07:41:35 pm »
Hey!

Does anyone have any cases for changing nature of parental responsibility? And law reform for surrogacy and birth technologies? There seems to only be one legislation???

Many thanks!

Hey,
I don't have any cases for changing nature of parental responsibility but here are my legislation for surrogacy/birth technology:

Status of Children Act 1996 (NSW): Specifies where parental responsibility lies, and to whom the child belongs in complex situations
Assisted Reproductive Technology Act 2007 (NSW): Specific legislation on birth technology and surrogacy in general, including registries for health reasons
Surrogacy Act 2010 (NSW): Removed discrepancies and difficulties in transferring parentage to new parents
NO EXPLICIT FEDERAL LAWS

Hope this helps!! Good luck for the exam!! :)
Class of 2017 (Year 12): Advanced English, General Maths, Legal Studies, Music 1, Ancient History, History Extension, Hospitality
2018-2022: B Music/B Education (Secondary) [UNSW]

schnitzel_mitzel101

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #2193 on: December 05, 2019, 05:04:49 pm »
Hey all!
I have a crime essay coming up and the question is:
"Assess whether a court’s decision to allow an accused person bail or to hold them on remand reflects a tension between community interests and individual rights and freedoms". (25 marks)

I am really unsure what to argue and how to structure solid arguments for a 4 paragraph essay. And I find the bit about the "tension between community interests and individual rights and freedoms" quite confusing.

Some of my thoughts to include are:
- Presumption of innocence
- Upholding procedural fairness
- Rule of law
- Remand = serious incursion of liberty

Any sort of help would be greatly appreciated :)) Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2019, 05:07:32 pm by schnitzel_mitzel101 »

Pearlmilktea

• MOTM: DEC 19
  • Forum Regular
  • "fun n fresh"
  • Respect: +44
« Reply #2194 on: December 21, 2019, 12:27:48 pm »
+1
Hey all!
I have a crime essay coming up and the question is:
"Assess whether a court’s decision to allow an accused person bail or to hold them on remand reflects a tension between community interests and individual rights and freedoms". (25 marks)

I am really unsure what to argue and how to structure solid arguments for a 4 paragraph essay. And I find the bit about the "tension between community interests and individual rights and freedoms" quite confusing.

Some of my thoughts to include are:
- Presumption of innocence
- Upholding procedural fairness
- Rule of law
- Remand = serious incursion of liberty

Any sort of help would be greatly appreciated :)) Thanks in advance.

Hiya!

I usually did three paragraphs for my crime essays but if you like doing four that's all good (it sometimes makes it harder though to think of different controlling ideas). You could maybe combine some ideas  :)

I think you definitely have great controlling ideas but you could also consider looking at the multiple Bail Act reforms as it epitomises the tension between community interests and individual rights and freedoms which is a key part of the question, along with giving you more content for your response.

Rushed reforms led to former DPP Nicholas Cowdery criticising the Bail Act changes (2015) as they didn't uphold the presumption of innocence and required individuals to 'show cause'. This definitely resulted in community tension and a failure to balance the rights of the suspect and the community.

Hopefully this somewhat helps!! Sorry my reply was late!!
HSC 2018: French Continuers (92)
HSC 2019: Biology (94), English Adv (92), French Extension  (41), Legal Studies (91) and Italian Beginners (95).

ATAR: 98.45
HSC All-rounder :)

Gracie :D

alice343

• MOTM: MAY 20
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +125
« Reply #2195 on: January 22, 2020, 08:20:01 pm »
Hi everyone! If anyone could help me in figuring out how to answer this essay question, and how to go about structuring it, I would greatly appreciate it!

To what extent does the criminal justice system balance the rights of the victims, offenders and society when dealing with young offenders?

There's just a lot going on in the question and I'm a bit confused on how to answer this exactly.
2020 HSC: English Advanced, Modern History, Legal Studies, Japanese Beginners, Society and Culture, History Extension

Turd Ferguson

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #2196 on: February 25, 2020, 06:54:25 pm »
How would you answer a question like the two 2016 HSC World Order questions, in terms of what your paragraphs should be about?

(a) To what extent does the law encourage cooperation to achieve world order/success of global cooperation?

(b) Evaluate the effectiveness of the law in balancing state sovereignty and the 'responsibility to protect'.

Thank you, any help is appreciated.

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #2197 on: February 25, 2020, 09:31:02 pm »
+4
How would you answer a question like the two 2016 HSC World Order questions, in terms of what your paragraphs should be about?

(a) To what extent does the law encourage cooperation to achieve world order/success of global cooperation?

(b) Evaluate the effectiveness of the law in balancing state sovereignty and the 'responsibility to protect'.

Thank you, any help is appreciated.

Hey, welcome to the forums!! For WO I tend to recommend either:

- Issue based responses, where each paragraph tackles a contemporary issue/scenario and evaluates responses (EG - North Korean missile crisis, Iranian/US conflicts we've had recently, etc.)
- Response based responses (haha), where each paragraph evaluates a legal response/mechanism (UNSC, UNGA, ICJ, etc.)

Either is good! It's a preference thing. For these specifically, for (A) it is super broad, literally pick anything you want to talk about and you can probably link it to how well (or not well) nation states cooperated to achieve world order. World order is literally just about cooperation. (B) is a bit more specific. You'd obviously be discussing UNSC and R2P quite heavily. I'd go issue/scenario based here, pick 3 significant events and evaluate the response to them, and argue whether each was an effective/ineffective balance of SS and R2P. EG, should UN Peacekeeping Forces have intervened in North Korea given their threats of attacking other nation states and their human rights atrocities? Choosing not to, you could argue that was pushing SS and not R2P - Was that a good/bad move, to you? How would you argue it? :)

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #2198 on: February 25, 2020, 09:40:36 pm »
+6
Hi everyone! If anyone could help me in figuring out how to answer this essay question, and how to go about structuring it, I would greatly appreciate it!

To what extent does the criminal justice system balance the rights of the victims, offenders and society when dealing with young offenders?

There's just a lot going on in the question and I'm a bit confused on how to answer this exactly.

Yo! Sorry you didn't get a reply here but I thought I'd chuck in a late answer. Breaking it down:

To what extent: How much? This is asking you to make a judgement!

does the criminal justice system: Legislation, courts, police, procedures, literally anything you've learned about!

balance the rights of the victims, offenders and society: How well are each of these parties considered at different stages? Ideally we should have a balance, but in some areas you could argue some are favoured over others. EG, do increased police powers to combat terrorism under LEPRA Amendments place societal safety ahead of the rights of offenders?

when dealing with Young Offenders? Self explanatory, all needs to relate to Young Offenders!

So what do you do? Pick a few aspects of the Youth Justice System (warnings/cautions/YJC's, Children's Court, etc.) and evaluate how effectively they achieve the balance between the rights of the offenders, justice for the victims, and the safety of society. Maybe the balance is great, maybe its not, your job is to make the judgement and argue it! As for paragraphs, I'd just do one paragraph per 'aspect' that you pick :)

Salwasabz

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #2199 on: March 19, 2020, 07:33:03 pm »
hello I have an assignment which is an essay and this is my finished product I just wanted some feedback

RuskiBrah

• Adventurer
« Reply #2200 on: April 22, 2020, 11:05:54 pm »
hey, i was wondering what the best way to prep for 15 mark extended response question with access to offline notes?

we're given 45 mins to respond to one 15 mark question which includes a stimulus material but with access to offline hardcopy notes. ive done a bunch of essay scaffolds for past hsc questions from the crime syllabus. they have not been focused on specific dot points e.g. 'assess the roles of alternative methods of sentencing'.

instead i've made them on broader questions like 'assess the effectiveness of the criminal trial process as a means of achieving justice '.

anyway, i was wondering if its smart to just print off these essay scaffolds on these broader types of questions as part of my 'offline notes' or if there are better/alternative ways?

advice/suggestions are greatly appreciated thank you

jessbeutum123

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #2201 on: April 23, 2020, 07:39:33 am »
Hi,
I'm a year 12 student. I have a crime Extended response next week.

What's the best way to integrate a quote into the response and throughout the response?
What's the best way to get close to full marks?

alice343

• Trendsetter
« Reply #2202 on: April 24, 2020, 09:37:57 am »
+1
hey, i was wondering what the best way to prep for 15 mark extended response question with access to offline notes?

we're given 45 mins to respond to one 15 mark question which includes a stimulus material but with access to offline hardcopy notes. ive done a bunch of essay scaffolds for past hsc questions from the crime syllabus. they have not been focused on specific dot points e.g. 'assess the roles of alternative methods of sentencing'.

instead i've made them on broader questions like 'assess the effectiveness of the criminal trial process as a means of achieving justice '.

anyway, i was wondering if its smart to just print off these essay scaffolds on these broader types of questions as part of my 'offline notes' or if there are better/alternative ways?

advice/suggestions are greatly appreciated thank you

Hi! I think what you're doing currently in preparation for you assessment is really great! I think it would be more worthwhile to base your essay scaffolds off of broader questions (so definitely include these in your offline notes). Also, always relate them to the themes and challenges since those are the overarching ideas you will need to base your arguments around. I'm not sure what the limits are to your hardcopy notes and the nature of your assessment, but I feel like if you included whole essay scaffolds for specific syllabus dot points you might get a bit overwhelmed will all the information. Instead, mindmap all the possible LCMID for each dot point and condense them into EXTREMELY BRIEF notes; only dot points (key words, no full sentences allowed). Try and use LCMID that relate to multiple parts of the syllabus so you don't have to memorise as much.

Hope this helped! :)
2020 HSC: English Advanced, Modern History, Legal Studies, Japanese Beginners, Society and Culture, History Extension

alice343

• Trendsetter
« Reply #2203 on: April 24, 2020, 09:56:17 am »
+1
Hi,
I'm a year 12 student. I have a crime Extended response next week.

What's the best way to integrate a quote into the response and throughout the response?
What's the best way to get close to full marks?

Hello! One magical word: SIGNPOSTING. If you use certain phrases to introduce your examples, you will sound much more sophisticated. Phrases such as: 'according to....', 'this is evidenced within....', 'such _____ is demonstrated by the...'. I recommend using the phrases from this document:
http://stage6.pbworks.com/f/Legal+Studies.pdf
On page 4, it has a plethora of phrases and terms you can use in your essay to sound more concise and sophisticated!

In order to write an essay that will achieve full marks, you need to sustain your argument through a logical and sustained response. This means you are being clear on what your arguments are straight from the introduction, and proving them through your body paragraphs. By the time the reader reads your conclusion, they should be able to think "This person has proved their point.". Make sure you are consistently putting your argument forward in not only the topic sentence and concluding sentence of each body paragraph, but weaving it through your analysis of LCMID and reference to fundamental legal principles (Rule of law, presumption of innocence etc.).

A way to effectively analyse your LCMID is using the criteria (I first saw this in the Year 11 syllabus, but each school might have different ways of remembering it?); resource efficiency, enforceability, accessibility, etc. After each analysis, link it back to your argument with phrases such as 'thus, hence, consequently.'

In terms of your actual arguments, make sure you are engaging with contrasting perspectives. This ensures you have balance in your response. Even if you might wholly lean to one side of an argument, you can still acknowledge opposing ideas but then go about by disproving/overruling them. Phrases like 'contrastingly, although, on the contrary,' are my favourite!

I hope this helped! I'm sure you'll do great on your assessment - good luck! :)

Nikita_Leota

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #2204 on: June 01, 2020, 05:14:34 pm »
I was wondering about the passing of the Criminal Code amendment (Sharing of Abhorrent Violent Material) Bill 2019, and how this could be improved to meet the reality of our broad internet?
To what extent will this legislation actually regulate abhorrent content?
How will this challenge social media platforms?