Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 18, 2024, 01:44:32 pm

Author Topic: GAT Questions and Discussion  (Read 129826 times)

Owlbird83

• BLAA 2020
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +785
Re: GAT Questions and Discussion
« Reply #165 on: June 14, 2018, 01:31:37 pm »
I forgot that zero was counted as well... :'(
Aghh! so did I :(
2018: Biology
2019: Chemistry, Physics, Math Methods, English, Japanese
2020: Bachelor of Psychology (Monash)

Lear

• MOTM: JUL 18
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +328
« Reply #166 on: June 14, 2018, 05:30:58 pm »
+1

Yep, you're totally right! Looking back on it I had somehow added 3 and 1 to make 3 and so had 35+7*(3+x)... so I deserve to lose that mark. And for 36 I reverted to the reasoning that the last digit couldn't be a zero because it would make it a digit shorter, even though they had clearly stated those numbers would be accepted. I wasn't sure about 33 however, and my toss up was between II or IV, though IV might be the better choice in hindsight.

My god I missed the 0 too R.I.P.
2018: ATAR: 99.35
Subjects
English: 44
Methods: 43
Further Maths: 50
Chemistry: 46
Legal: 40
2019: Bachelor of Medical Science and Doctor of Medicine @ Monash

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #167 on: May 28, 2019, 10:02:16 am »
Bumped for 2019! :) Any thoughts on GAT preparation/feelings atm?

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

Geoo

• MOTM: DEC 19
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • Class of 2020
  • Respect: +685
« Reply #168 on: June 01, 2019, 01:47:14 pm »
Is doing the GAT worth is in year 11 when only doing one 3/4 subject?
2020: VCE 93.2
2022: BSci/Arts (Chemistry/Pharmacology and French)@Monash

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #169 on: June 01, 2019, 01:57:49 pm »
Is doing the GAT worth is in year 11 when only doing one 3/4 subject?

Yep! You never know what might happen at the end of the year.

In fact, it's compulsory.

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

Geoo

• MOTM: DEC 19
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • Class of 2020
  • Respect: +685
« Reply #170 on: June 01, 2019, 02:04:54 pm »
+1

Really? I was able to get out of the GAT this year due to illness. So I as worrying if it will affect my end results?
I still plan to do it next year though.
2020: VCE 93.2
2022: BSci/Arts (Chemistry/Pharmacology and French)@Monash

Donut

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #171 on: June 01, 2019, 02:47:11 pm »
How does a derived score work? Is the score derived from all your GAT marks or just the section. i.e. mathematics for maths methods

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #172 on: June 02, 2019, 12:39:18 pm »
+4
How does a derived score work? Is the score derived from all your GAT marks or just the section. i.e. mathematics for maths methods

I'm not very familiar or confident without how derived scores work but I believe they use a combination of your SAC results and consider your GAT score on a weighted basis (eg sci/math component would be the most important section for a methods derived score).

AngelWings

• Victorian Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
« Reply #173 on: June 02, 2019, 02:21:44 pm »
+4

I think J41's trying to say that you have to go if you're well enough to be at school that day and you can't skip it simply because you felt like it.

Really? I was able to get out of the GAT this year due to illness. So I as worrying if it will affect my end results?
I still plan to do it next year though.
I was sick with a fever and a bunch of nasty symptoms the day of the GAT back in Year 11, while I was doing U3/4 Psych. While they did state that it was unusual I was away for the GAT on my transcripts (saying something about being results being unavailable for illegitimate reasons or something), despite the fact that I did produce a medical certificate to my school and assumed VCAA would've had that on their records, there wasn't any effect as I was present for my end of year Psych U3/4 exam. Basically, VCAA'll think it odd, but you won't be in huge trouble, as long as you sit the final exam (although, if you have a bad day on the exam day, uh...).

Having said that though, if you are to do the GAT and are relatively well enough to do it, then please give it your best shot anyway. Having a safeguard is a lot better than going in with only one shot to make things go the way you want them to. (Basically, take the GAT seriously, please.)

Side note: Here's a brochure for this year's GAT.
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread

Yemily

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #174 on: June 09, 2019, 09:02:26 pm »
With Writing Task 1, would a topic sentence count as presenting an argument? E.g. Saying 'Music is a prominent part of many Australians' lives.' Then following up with some of the stats provided about how 'Every year more Australians attend live music events than sporting events.' Or introducing some famous albums by saying, 'A few notable albums include...' I guess my question is: will these adjectives be viewed as being opinionated?

I also find it difficult to relate some bits of information together without somehow referring to some implicit details that I know they have in common. So if someone can share any tips on how to improve coherency, that would be greatly appreciated.

Lastly, for the second writing task, should I write the statement(s) that I intend to write about above my main piece? Or will they judge my writing based on how clearly it presents the statement(s)?

Thanks in advance! :) :)

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #175 on: June 09, 2019, 10:33:06 pm »
+2
With Writing Task 1, would a topic sentence count as presenting an argument? E.g. Saying 'Music is a prominent part of many Australians' lives.' Then following up with some of the stats provided about how 'Every year more Australians attend live music events than sporting events.' Or introducing some famous albums by saying, 'A few notable albums include...' I guess my question is: will these adjectives be viewed as being opinionated?

I also find it difficult to relate some bits of information together without somehow referring to some implicit details that I know they have in common. So if someone can share any tips on how to improve coherency, that would be greatly appreciated.

Lastly, for the second writing task, should I write the statement(s) that I intend to write about above my main piece? Or will they judge my writing based on how clearly it presents the statement(s)?

Thanks in advance! :) :)

Hey,

Your examples all look fine to me to include in section 1
There's definitely no need to write what stimuli you're referring to above your response :)

for coherency, I found it useful to figure out the links between everything before I started writing. (Eg, what type of media, what tone does it convey, what are the connotations/themes, what does it appeal to). This made it easier for me to flow smoothly from one point to the next. If you're unsure what I mean please let me know and I'll provide examples :)

brothanathan

« Reply #176 on: June 09, 2019, 10:52:11 pm »
Isn't writing task 1 supposed to be done creatively and task 2 formally/a strict persuasive essay?

Matthew_Whelan

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +11
« Reply #177 on: June 10, 2019, 12:17:38 am »
Isn't writing task 1 supposed to be done creatively and task 2 formally/a strict persuasive essay?
Task 1 is to present the information (graphs, quotes, pictures, etc) into a logical order, showing your ability to 'rewrite' what they give you into a coherent structure, focusing on the important aspects. There is no creative aspect as it is expository.
Task 2 is to present a contention (argument or idea) on themed prompts, last years was about change. This one requires you to draw from external knowledge to construct your ideas.
Thats all I know at least, the GAT is a general ability test (not the actual acronym), the writing tasks solely require you to be perceptive/insightful and to write judiciously.
2018: Psychology
2019: English, Methods, Chemistry, Biology, Physics
ATAR: 88.65

AngelWings

• Victorian Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
« Reply #178 on: June 10, 2019, 01:13:26 am »
+2
Task 1 is to present the information (graphs, quotes, pictures, etc) into a logical order, showing your ability to 'rewrite' what they give you into a coherent structure, focusing on the important aspects. There is no creative aspect as it is expository.
Technically, Task 1 doesn’t specify that you must write a(n) expository or creative piece; you’re allowed to do whatever type of piece you like, as long as the piece you wind up doing is not presenting an argument (which is pretty much persuasive). This means either expository or creative (and combinations of these) would be fine, as long as you integrate the provided information somehow.

I used pretty much all the information to write a creative piece on a daughter whose late father was a chess master and liked to spout chess facts back in 2014 (my Year 12). The piece was quite well-received.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2019, 01:43:02 am by AngelWings »
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread

brothanathan

« Reply #179 on: June 10, 2019, 09:35:32 am »
Technically, Task 1 doesn’t specify that you must write a(n) expository or creative piece; you’re allowed to do whatever type of piece you like, as long as the piece you wind up doing is not presenting an argument (which is pretty much persuasive). This means either expository or creative (and combinations of these) would be fine, as long as you integrate the provided information somehow.

I used pretty much all the information to write a creative piece on a daughter whose late father was a chess master and liked to spout chess facts back in 2014 (my Year 12). The piece was quite well-received.

I know this is a bit of a stretch but would you remember or know the cartoon used in the Unit 3 section (Multiple Choice) of the 2014 GAT: https://www.vcaa.vic.edu.au/Documents/exams/GAT/2014/2014GAT-cpr-w.pdf

It's copyrighted so there's literally no image provided...

Thanks Angel :)