Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 24, 2024, 04:13:10 am

Author Topic: No Methods for Melb Uni Science  (Read 1256 times)  Share 

potsu

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2
No Methods for Melb Uni Science
« on: June 08, 2020, 12:35:11 pm »
Hey Guys,
I am currently studying year 12 and am thinking of doing a Bachelor of Science at Melbourne Uni. The thing is I don't satisfy the mathematics component of it being a 25 in methods and or spesh. I am doing further at the moment but I did do unit 1 and 2 methods. I saw a page on the Melbourne uni website that I would be able to do a 6-week maths course over the summer holidays to satisfy the methods prereq. I was wondering about this and if anyone has done it and how do apply for it when applying to vtac.

Thanks again

https://science.unimelb.edu.au/courses/frequently-asked-questions/science-prerequisites

AngelWings

• ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
Re: No Methods for Melb Uni Science
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2020, 04:34:07 pm »
+2
I’d probably discuss this with the university, as they’d realistically know their entry process moreso than VTAC. Try looking for a contact number for Stop 1, UoM’s student services.
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread

jazzie1999

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: +1
Re: No Methods for Melb Uni Science
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2020, 11:06:35 am »
+1
I did Calculus and Probability Online it was quite good. I had no methods background knowledge and managed to get 92% in the subject so it’s not ridiculously hard. There are several intakes throughout the year, one being an intensive straight after exams so you will have results in time for a semester one intake. If you already have background knowledge in methods and are fairly confident in your skills this could be a good pathway as it wouldn’t slow you down. I however had no methods knowledge so decided to do an Autumn intake so I could take my time studying both methods 1/2 and 3/4 at the same time. Everything worked out and I received an offer for the bachelor of science through a mid year intake. I really recommend doing the course if you need it for a prerequisite but aren’t a strong maths student as it won’t contribute to your atar and all you need to do is pass. It is also calculator free and people have told me the calculator component in methods is very tricky so you get to avoid that. The VTAC process confused me as well but what happened with me was we received a digital certificate due to corona and there were some technical difficulties in verifying it’s authenticity and it got a bit messy but eventually worked out. I suspect they will not do that again this year and will most likely return to hard copy certificates. What you need to do is upload a scan of the certificate to the VTAC website under the tab documents. You must also state that you’ve completed additional study in your application so they know they need to look for that information.   Hope I’ve been helpful and good luck for your studies!
« Last Edit: September 12, 2020, 11:12:50 am by jazzie1999 »