Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 01:17:09 am

Author Topic: IDM Students 2013!  (Read 8123 times)  Share 

Politics

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: 0
  • School: Emnanuel College
IDM Students 2013!
« on: October 30, 2013, 10:48:49 pm »
Hey,

Just wanna see how many people are doing IDM this year and if you are, how are you guys preparing for the exam and how confident are you feeling on the practical portion of the sac?

Myself, I have gone through a heap of revision our teacher passed our way and have been studying the prac exams, bit of a shame there aren't many resources in terms of prac exams (apart from the vcaa ones)!

I'm pretty excited for next Friday and hopefully getting a good start to my ATAR!
2013 : VET IDM [39]
2014 : English | Psychology | Legal | Economics | Further

k-dog

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
  • School Grad Year: 2013
Re: IDM Students 2013!
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2013, 12:10:30 pm »
Hey there, Our teacher is pretty clueless so I'm going through every topic that shows up in the exams and studying everything that is relevant. What kind of stuff does your teacher give you?

leflyi

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +5
  • School: Notre
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2013, 02:48:23 pm »
Teacher is pretty hopeless, and I have no material to work from.. I have just exams. Hmm
2012 - Business Management
2013 - Spec/Methods/IDM/Physics/English

Politics

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2013, 08:56:16 pm »
Yeah, even in the last couple of years threads a few teachers seem to have given Students little to no support in terms of theory for the Exam.
Our teacher is pretty clued up in terms the theory and getting us prepared, on top of previous exams she has made up about 2-3 of 'her own' (assuming, idk)
and those seems to be helping.
On top of this she has given us ALOT of revision notes, some useless, some awesome stuff. I am feeling pretty confident.

k-dog

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2013, 11:31:14 am »
Yeah, even in the last couple of years threads a few teachers seem to have given Students little to no support in terms of theory for the Exam.
Our teacher is pretty clued up in terms the theory and getting us prepared, on top of previous exams she has made up about 2-3 of 'her own' (assuming, idk)
and those seems to be helping.
On top of this she has given us ALOT of revision notes, some useless, some awesome stuff. I am feeling pretty confident.

Oh wow. I envy you guys haha. Care to share one of those exams with us poor competent-teacher lacking students?  :P
Our teacher actually said at the start of the year that getting us a good score on the exam was his last priority and his priority was getting us in to the industry. So we did basically 1 class of theory revision  :'(

leflyi

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +5
  • School: Notre
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2013, 05:37:54 pm »
Our teacher actually said at the start of the year that getting us a good score on the exam was his last priority and his priority was getting us in to the industry.
That sucks bad man

Have you got a copy of the Interactive Digital Media Industry Advice manual on VCAA? ITs pretty good for a short overview. Also, I found some info from within this site that I transcribed together which is basically an overview of theory. I think tons of exams would be very good to practice, since there's not much they can't ask you outside of the past 10 years. 
« Last Edit: November 02, 2013, 05:41:14 pm by leflyi »
2012 - Business Management
2013 - Spec/Methods/IDM/Physics/English

Politics

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2013, 07:27:34 pm »
Oh wow. I envy you guys haha. Care to share one of those exams with us poor competent-teacher lacking students?  :P
Our teacher actually said at the start of the year that getting us a good score on the exam was his last priority and his priority was getting us in to the industry. So we did basically 1 class of theory revision  :'(
Unfortunately i cannot contact my teacher until this Wednesday because of the long weekend, i'll have to see if she has them anymore!

k-dog

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2013, 08:38:55 pm »
That sucks bad man

Have you got a copy of the Interactive Digital Media Industry Advice manual on VCAA? ITs pretty good for a short overview. Also, I found some info from within this site that I transcribed together which is basically an overview of theory. I think tons of exams would be very good to practice, since there's not much they can't ask you outside of the past 10 years.

Is that the document with the competencies? Ill check it out when the VCAA website comes back online (seems to be down at the moment), Thanks.

Unfortunately i cannot contact my teacher until this Wednesday because of the long weekend, i'll have to see if she has them anymore!
Hey don't worry about it  :). I would be interested to know though, if she has mentioned/given you notes for any stuff that is a bit obscure/interesting. It seems that the way the exam is structured is that most of it is predictable but they throw in a few random difficult questions/practical aspects to separate the best students. 
Rotoscoping and animatics have appeared in recent exams (few people had any idea what they were). The thought of wild-cards like those things is pretty scary :-\.

jsquish

• Victorian
  • Fresh Poster
  • School: Loyola College
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2013, 12:17:56 pm »
Has anyone made any notes for this subject this year, really struggling to try and figure out what to study  :-\

k-dog

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2013, 11:01:45 pm »
Has anyone made any notes for this subject this year, really struggling to try and figure out what to study  :-\

Hey man, In the day you have left Id go through all of the prac exams you can (@VCAA). For post 2010 ones just ignore scripting questions - the other questions are still relevant. Do some practice practicals by downloading the exam files at the bottom of the instructions.
Go through this doc http://www.vcaa.vic.edu.au/Documents/vet/interactivedigital/vcevetidmidustryadvice.pdf and try to gather an understanding of everything. GL :D

Personally I'm getting quite worried about CSS, They only throw in a few questions that need higher than basic dreamweaver knowledge but I fear that every mark counts in such a low scoring exam (A+ cut off is 66%).
« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 11:09:29 pm by k-dog »

jsquish

• Victorian
  • Fresh Poster
  • School: Loyola College
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2013, 12:27:30 pm »
Thanks for that.
What do you mean by the A+ cutoff was 66%, does that mean if you got 66% that you actually got an A+?
Also do you mind if I ask what scores you got in your SACs to get a 45?
Thanks for that website, really helpful!

k-dog

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2013, 02:00:49 pm »
Thanks for that.
What do you mean by the A+ cutoff was 66%, does that mean if you got 66% that you actually got an A+?
Also do you mind if I ask what scores you got in your SACs to get a 45?
Thanks for that website, really helpful!

http://www.vcaa.vic.edu.au/Documents/statistics/2012/section3/vet_interactive_digital_media_ga12.pdf

64 out of 90 (129/180) is the A+ point. But to get a high A plus you would have to be getting a lot higher I assume.

45 is my aim haha, Im doing IDM this year. My SAC scores are 75/75, but honestly I doubt I'll get 45, fingers crossed though  :D.

WhatsUpClud

• Victorian
  • Fresh Poster
  • Tasmania Jones is my idol.
  • School: Bendigo Senior Secondary College
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2013, 02:14:24 pm »
I'm going to take a wild guess that, from comparing the 2012 and 2013 exams together, the cut-off rate for getting an A+ (or even an A) will be a lot higher than 66% this time...

Less 'who-even-has-that-term-stored-in-their-brain' questions, more straightforward practical tasks (lengthy, though - were many people pressed for time?) and less writing for content. Just the general nit-picky request here-and-there that only some people might have come across in their time.

This is what happens to my pessimism when I keep hearing that everyone thought they went pretty good.
'ATAR scores are a failure of the game designer.'

k-dog

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2013, 04:41:18 pm »
I'm going to take a wild guess that, from comparing the 2012 and 2013 exams together, the cut-off rate for getting an A+ (or even an A) will be a lot higher than 66% this time...

Less 'who-even-has-that-term-stored-in-their-brain' questions, more straightforward practical tasks (lengthy, though - were many people pressed for time?) and less writing for content. Just the general nit-picky request here-and-there that only some people might have come across in their time.

This is what happens to my pessimism when I keep hearing that everyone thought they went pretty good.

Yeah, I thought that the multiple choice and short answers were significantly harder than anything I had encountered having done all of the IDM exams since like 2004. I think a lot of those short answers will have below 30 percent getting full marks. As far as time, I did the multiple choice and short answers in 35 mins, the animation in 30 mins and 55 mins for the website. The website took me so long because I didn't know how to apply the styles that they gave to the actual content after I imported the external style sheet. In all the prac exams I had done, the styles would appear in the targetted rule section at the bottom but they weren't showing up. Really should of learnt dreamweaver more in depth but yeah, in the end my site looked perfect, just wasnt made in the correct way - so bye high A+.