Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 05:22:47 pm

Author Topic: Legal Trial Prep  (Read 1536 times)  Share 

sidzeman

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +2
Legal Trial Prep
« on: August 10, 2017, 09:20:02 pm »
Hey so my legal trial is coming up and i'm not sure how to prepare for the essays - is there anyway to be prepared for everything, since they can ask from any of the 3rd column? Legal has always been a lot of content but this seems excessive 

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
Re: Legal Trial Prep
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2017, 09:26:59 pm »
+4
Hey so my legal trial is coming up and i'm not sure how to prepare for the essays - is there anyway to be prepared for everything, since they can ask from any of the 3rd column? Legal has always been a lot of content but this seems excessive 

Hey! My personal advice would be to make study sheets like these, a handy reference with everything you need to know for a particular essay topic. I linked you to my Family ones, I've got others for Crime and World Order in the Notes section too if you search em up ;D

I managed to reduce my study for both Options to about 10 pages of notes collectively this way - Which isn't a heap if you think about it ;D

I'm sure others will have other awesome suggestions!

mitchello

• Trailblazer
  • This sentence is false.
  • Respect: +30
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2017, 10:17:29 pm »
+3
Yoyo,
Because I was quite limited for time, I hedged my bets and prepared evidence that applied to multiple themes and challenges (this can be quite risky, although it did pay off for me in trials ;D ). For example, with Consumers I could write about two pages on the ACCC, malleable to 4/5 of the T/C's, and the same with Domestic Violence and Divorce in Family. However, I didn't follow this for crime, considering its wider syllabus and the fact that I had several hand-ins that I could draw inspiration and evidence from. Because of the risk associated with my method (in case they hone in on something super particular), I would only use it as a starting block and highly recommend that you branch out into niches of the topic, inspired by the trends of past papers. I make it sound pretty volatile, but once I had enough evidence for each topic (which took about 2-3 days amidst English prep) it worked for trials and most past papers that I attempted. Other people probably have a far more viable method, I was just really strained for time. Hope this helped :)
« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 10:19:14 pm by mitchello »
Advanced English//Mathematics//Economics//Legal Studies//Ancient History//History Extension

katie,rinos

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1151
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2017, 10:50:13 pm »
+2
Yoyo,
Because I was quite limited for time, I hedged my bets and prepared evidence that applied to multiple themes and challenges (this can be quite risky, although it did pay off for me in trials ;D ). For example, with Consumers I could write about two pages on the ACCC, malleable to 4/5 of the T/C's, and the same with Domestic Violence and Divorce in Family. However, I didn't follow this for crime, considering its wider syllabus and the fact that I had several hand-ins that I could draw inspiration and evidence from. Because of the risk associated with my method (in case they hone in on something super particular), I would only use it as a starting block and highly recommend that you branch out into niches of the topic, inspired by the trends of past papers. I make it sound pretty volatile, but once I had enough evidence for each topic (which took about 2-3 days amidst English prep) it worked for trials and most past papers that I attempted. Other people probably have a far more viable method, I was just really strained for time. Hope this helped :)
Yep, I pretty much did the same as this. I did around 3-4 full essays for consumers and some essay plans but mainly focussed on the themes and challenges and the contemporary issues. I worked on being able to manipulate my evidence so that I could use it for a few different themes/challenges by only changing the thesis-which means that you might not have to memorise as much stuff.
I think that it depends on how soon your exam is. I think that for HSC, it would be a good idea to do study sheets/tables/flashcards, whatever you find works for you.
Hope this helps :)
« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 10:51:59 pm by katie,rinos »
Class of 2017 (Year 12): Advanced English, General Maths, Legal Studies, Music 1, Ancient History, History Extension, Hospitality
2018-2022: B Music/B Education (Secondary) [UNSW]

sidzeman

• Trendsetter
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2017, 12:04:33 am »
+1
yea hahahha I'm struggling with time too my trial timetable is kinda packed
Thanks for your help guys a summary sheet seems like a really good idea

sidzeman

• Trendsetter
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2017, 02:04:15 pm »
So I have less than 24 hours to prepare for my legal trial haha - what would you guys recommend should i focus more on essay plans or content
@Jamon if you could link me to more of those Essay evidence posts - I can't seem to find them
« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 02:20:47 pm by sidzeman »

katie,rinos

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1151
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2017, 02:27:16 pm »
+1
So I have less than 24 hours to prepare for my legal trial haha - what would you guys recommend should i focus more on essay plans or content
Hey, it depends on what you are least confident with. I focussed more on content and trying to remember media articles and evidence for consumers especially (as I had 2 essays on it and it was worth 50%). I also read a lot of the ATAR Notes legal book to try and go over concepts, especially for crime/HR which were earlier in the year that I may have forgotten. You could do this with any other textbook though or just read over your own notes.

I wouldn't write full essays but maybe dot point plans on what you would do if you got the question tomorrow. So, just plan what evidence you'll use and maybe some thesis and points. I would recommend looking over the themes and challenges as the essays normally include points from there (my two were from there).

Also, Jamons summary sheets are here,
Crime
World Order
Hope this helps :)
« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 02:36:10 pm by katie,rinos »
Class of 2017 (Year 12): Advanced English, General Maths, Legal Studies, Music 1, Ancient History, History Extension, Hospitality
2018-2022: B Music/B Education (Secondary) [UNSW]

asd987

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2017, 05:05:46 pm »
Hi does anyone have last years CSSA trial crime question or independent trial crime Q so i can practice  ;D

sidzeman

• Trendsetter
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2017, 05:17:44 pm »
+1
Thanks @katie that really helps hahhaa