Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 02:21:56 am

Author Topic: My 5 mark response to SOR Section 1 question  (Read 5974 times)  Share 

2nau8

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
My 5 mark response to SOR Section 1 question
« on: January 06, 2020, 08:08:09 pm »
This is my response to a 5 mark response question from the 2011 HSC paper of Section 1

Question: Explain the role of the ecumenical movement and/or interfaith dialogue as religious responses to growing secularism. Include examples in your answer.

My Response:
Secularism is an ideology for religion to not intefere with the running of society. As secularism is rising due to a disillusionment with traditional religions being cast into a negative light, interfaith dialogue allows religious communities to create a network of communication, understanding and tolerance with others. One example is the Affinity Intercultural Foundation by the Australian Muslim youth who aim to create a harmonious relationship with non-muslim Australians. This creates a conversation between both groups to combat misconceptions in response to secularism. Another example is Studies of Religion in the NSW HSC which allows students to become more aware, informed and raises discussions about faiths. This preserves the integrity of religions from dying out in a rising secular society.

PS. how many examples are you expected to give in a 5-mark response?

Thank u

louisaaa01

• MOTM: NOV 19
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +33
Re: My 5 mark response to SOR Section 1 question
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2020, 08:43:33 am »
+4
This is my response to a 5 mark response question from the 2011 HSC paper of Section 1

Question: Explain the role of the ecumenical movement and/or interfaith dialogue as religious responses to growing secularism. Include examples in your answer.

My Response:
Secularism is an ideology for religion to not intefere with the running of society. As secularism is rising due to a disillusionment with traditional religions being cast into a negative light, interfaith dialogue allows religious communities to create a network of communication, understanding and tolerance with others. One example is the Affinity Intercultural Foundation by the Australian Muslim youth who aim to create a harmonious relationship with non-muslim Australians. This creates a conversation between both groups to combat misconceptions in response to secularism. Another example is Studies of Religion in the NSW HSC which allows students to become more aware, informed and raises discussions about faiths. This preserves the integrity of religions from dying out in a rising secular society.

PS. how many examples are you expected to give in a 5-mark response?

Thank u

Hi,

It's really great to see you working on your writing right from now! Overall, a solid 5-marker! Just a few pointers:

- 2 examples is perfect in a 5-mark response on Interfaith Dialogue! However, I'd perhaps avoid using the SOR Syllabus as an example of interfaith dialogue -- examples of organisations like the Jewish Christian Muslim Association of Australia, Australian Council of Christians and Jews, just to name a few, are slightly stronger and more sophisticated.
- Avoid integrating your examples using "One example ... another example" - more sophisticated connecting words could be "Notably...", or, "This is evidenced by...". I'm being picky but little things like this really enhance the sophistication of the 5-marker.
- Look concretely at what the organisations do - e.g. (briefly) what the Affinity Intercultural Foundation actually does to create a harmonious relationship between Muslim and non-Muslim Australians. Mention briefly how they establish forums + educate.
- You do this quite well in your first example but try to expand upon exactly why Interfaith Dialogue combats secularism - for instance another critical point is that Interfaith Dialogue ensures religious traditions maintain a prominent voice on social issues + allow religions to cooperate towards the common good (of course backed up with an example), addressing the misconception that religious doctrine is irrelevant in modern society which fuels secularism.

Hope these pointers help you out! Overall a very pleasing response, and again, props to you for putting in the hard work throughout the School Holidays!
2019 ATAR: 99.95

2020 - 2026

USYD BSci / Doctor of Medicine