Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 08:58:59 pm

Author Topic: Joining the Student Union...Is it worth it?  (Read 6686 times)  Share 

squance

Re: Joining the Student Union...Is it worth it?
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2008, 06:18:50 am »
Think carefully about the costs versus the benefits. Let's say that the Student Union gives you a 10% discount on things:

You need to spend in order to break even. It depends how much of a consumer you are though. Over 24 weeks of university and 5 days a week, that's more than $16.65 a day. If you are going to buy breakfast and lunch, that will fulfil that quota, but then you've got to find union supported restaurants, because they don't give out discounts to everything.

I'm not sure how the pricing works. For Melbourne University they say its $198 if you're new, but then there is a $17 monthly price, which means in your first year you're paying $402, and every year after it's $204.

I thought it was $204 for the $17 monthly thing...$17x12 = $204

How did u get $402?

Collin Li

• VCE Tutor
  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +17
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2008, 09:48:55 am »
There is a joining fee of $198. I am not sure if it is merely a joining fee, or if it pays for the entire year (doubt it).

Mao

• CH41RMN
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +390
  • School: Kambrya College
  • School Grad Year: 2008
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2008, 09:55:46 am »
Yeah join, because for $200 you get to use the microwaves at Melb Uni i think :D
I remember going there for TSFX lectures and on the microwaves it says something about Union people only.. i think.

You can use them for free because they don't check. There's a place called the International Students Lounge with a microwave, and if you're Asian, you have the benefit of slipping in unnoticed :) There may also be other microwaves in other places that can be freely accessed.

Or, if you want a goody-goody no-slipping-through-unchecked option, you can buy microwaves for $100 these days, LOL. Get a microwave, and get a locker (yearly is like $10-20, depending which faculty), and find a power-point (there are plenty) and woo, it's cheap microwaving :D (absurd idea, I know). It's cheaper, but you should make sure that the microwave fits in the locker, LOL.

hahaha next thing it will be a fridge but except it needs constant power. Maybe an esky will be fine.
So they dont check at all? That is the only reason i can think of to join them but if the microwaves are easily accessed then no chance of joining them.
lol just make friends with someone who lives on campus, then u can use their kitchen!
Editor for ATARNotes Chemistry study guides.

VCE 2008 | Monash BSc (Chem., Appl. Math.) 2009-2011 | UoM BScHon (Chem.) 2012 | UoM PhD (Chem.) 2013-2015

humph

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +16
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2008, 10:14:37 am »
Yeah join, because for $200 you get to use the microwaves at Melb Uni i think :D
I remember going there for TSFX lectures and on the microwaves it says something about Union people only.. i think.

You can use them for free because they don't check. There's a place called the International Students Lounge with a microwave, and if you're Asian, you have the benefit of slipping in unnoticed :) There may also be other microwaves in other places that can be freely accessed.

Or, if you want a goody-goody no-slipping-through-unchecked option, you can buy microwaves for $100 these days, LOL. Get a microwave, and get a locker (yearly is like $10-20, depending which faculty), and find a power-point (there are plenty) and woo, it's cheap microwaving :D (absurd idea, I know). It's cheaper, but you should make sure that the microwave fits in the locker, LOL.

hahaha next thing it will be a fridge but except it needs constant power. Maybe an esky will be fine.
So they dont check at all? That is the only reason i can think of to join them but if the microwaves are easily accessed then no chance of joining them.
lol just make friends with someone who lives on campus, then u can use their kitchen!
...if they're at a self-catered college, that is.

we have cooked lunches at college  :) and i invite townie friends over sometimes to scab a free meal when they're hungry and poor  ;D
VCE 2006
PhB (Hons) (Sc), ANU, 2007-2010
MPhil, ANU, 2011-2012
PhD, Princeton, 2012-2017
Research Associate, University College London, 2017-2020
Assistant Professor, University of Virginia, 2020-

Feel free to ask me about (advanced) mathematics.

squance

« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2008, 11:34:46 am »
There is a joining fee of $198. I am not sure if it is merely a joining fee, or if it pays for the entire year (doubt it).

nah i think its just $198 upfront and thats it or $204 direct debit for one year

Sealock

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2008, 12:54:08 am »
dude don't join the union

it's full of people you won't like

unless you like julia gillard

brendan

« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2008, 11:39:35 am »

for $200 you could buy your own microwave :P