Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 24, 2024, 07:38:11 am

Author Topic: Maintaining relationships:  (Read 2083 times)  Share 

lazaward

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +33
Maintaining relationships:
« on: January 27, 2018, 01:12:00 am »
What are everyone’s thoughts on maintaining a relationship whilst still doing really well in your final year of school?

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +1536
Re: Maintaining relationships:
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2018, 01:17:20 am »
+7
Don't see why not. Studying isn't your life. You can go and enjoy yourself every once in a while.

VCE is temporary, love is potentially forever.

Don't isolate yourself.
Experience in teaching at both secondary and tertiary levels.

website // new forum profile

brenden

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2593
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2018, 08:46:48 am »
+3
If you have a healthy relationship, it’s easy as pie. If you have an unhealthy one, it will impact other areas of your life.
✌️just do what makes you happy ✌️

Potatohater

• Forum Leader
  • All the world's a stage & this is my improvisation
  • Respect: +302
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2018, 09:51:43 am »
+5
My boyfriend broke up with me as HSC started because HSC started and I think that was really stupid. So I don't actually know what it's like to do year 12 and be in a relationship, but still, this is what I think: If you're in a well established good relationship where you both care for eachother then you should stay together instead of causing unesecary heartbreak, especially because you probably both understand what the other is going through so it's ok to not talk every day etc., but if the other person insists on the break up then obviously they aren't the right person for you in the long term anyway. If the relationship is unhealthy, well I can't speak from experience, but I can imagine it would definatley get in the way of your studies and maybe it is a good idea to end it. I've definatley seen friends with healthy relationships maintain them through he HSC, the people who had a bit more toxicity involved ended up breaking up.

EDIT: My above mentioned ex also said recently that he regrets leaving me, so that just adds to how stupid it is to break up because of year 12
« Last Edit: January 27, 2018, 11:53:07 am by Potatohater »
HSC 2017: Advanced English [85] General Maths [92] Biology [96] Geography [92] Drama [86]

2018: Bachelor of Arts and Advanced Studies at University of Sydney

-- need a tutor for any of the subjects listed above?? I reckon I'm the girl! Just message me on ATAR notes or here--

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2018, 09:58:51 am »
+10
I could go on the biggest rant about this, because the fact that anyone would even consider ditching a relationship for the HSC just shows how over-inflated its importance has become, but anyways...

I stayed with my partner through the HSC, we're still together now after 7.5 years total. We both got great ATARs, and to think about it, I would never have done as well as I did without her there to back me up and keep me sane. So definitely doable, I'd even say advantageous ;D

Lear

• MOTM: JUL 18
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +328
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2018, 10:08:13 am »
Has anyone else heard of couples taking a 'break' for the whole of year 12 or even just the exam period?
2018: ATAR: 99.35
Subjects
English: 44
Methods: 43
Further Maths: 50
Chemistry: 46
Legal: 40
2019: Bachelor of Medical Science and Doctor of Medicine @ Monash

EEEEEEP

• New South Welsh
  • Forum Leader
  • Resource Writer
  • Respect: +543
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2018, 10:26:45 am »
Has anyone else heard of couples taking a 'break' for the whole of year 12 or even just the exam period?

Yes I have. That's when people need to focus for a bit and knuckle down =). It's normal.

(though it can be a little of a mind game, if someone is insecure,... and can result in more distractions...)

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2018, 03:29:21 pm »
+3
Echoing the points above - relationships in the HSC can be refreshing, supportive, and a really good learning curve in parts of life that aren't school related. And it's important to keep developing and learning as a person outside of the classroom during this time.

Toxic relationships are toxic whether they are in the HSC or not - so if you're in one: boy bye. But in the assumption you're in, or considering being in, a relationship that's healthy and positive, then I can't rave highly enough of the benefits (support person, someone to intimately spend your non-school related time with, an investment of emotions outside of school...). Not to say that you would be better off than a person not in a relationship, of course.
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

Calebark

• biscuits of disappointment
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +2741
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2018, 03:34:40 pm »
+3
Provided the relationship is healthy and positive, go for it. I was in a relationship during VCE, and I'd say it was advantageous. We studied the same subjects so we always had a study partner. Additionally, if one of you is lacking in motivation, there's someone there to pick you up! Yr 12 is stressful, so if you can get through it together, all power to you.
🐢A turtle has flippers and a tortoise has clubs🐢

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Musical Theatre Tragic And Ultimate Pun Generator
  • Respect: +1026
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2018, 08:51:41 pm »
+1
I'm doing HSC now but I have been in a relationship for two years and my partner helped me get through my Prelim. As someone who stresses very easily, being in a relationship either meant;

More stress being added on top of the mountain that was already forming- I know friends who have been impacted greatly by toxic relationships and your grades will be affected too. Academic performance and social life aren't closely linked for everyone but are fragile regardless.

Less stress- I can testify for this because my partner helped me to get through breakdowns I had in year 11, study for assessments by quizzing me and, because he finished his HSC with most of his subjects aligning with mine, has given me plenty of notes and support that he wished he had when he was studying.

I was advised not to be in a relationship in high school at all but I ended up achieving extremely great ranks for my Prelim. I credit it mostly to my self-discipline and management, but also to my partner for being there through it all. I think it is entirely up to the other person and whether they will be able to handle the HSC with you because ultimately, your education is just as important as your relationship. You can afford to balance both, especially if your partner is a supportive one, and still perform the best you want to  :)
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music