Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 10:20:04 pm

Author Topic: Extension 1 - Romanticism  (Read 44994 times)  Share 

bowiemily

• HSC Lecturer
  • Forum Obsessive
  • So it goes.
  • Respect: +133
Extension 1 - Romanticism
« on: February 07, 2017, 09:18:34 am »
+4
Hey guys!
I thought I would start a discussion just for Romanticism. It was one of my absolute favourite parts of my HSC, and honestly...I miss it! So, if anyone has any questions about texts, common themes in the module, or even about what the Romantic way of thinking entails, shoot! I'll endeavour to answer anything thats asked  :)
Currently offering tutoring, send me a PM or email me at [email protected]
AdvEng: 100 (1st in State) - ExtEng: 49/50 - EarthEnviroScience: 95/100 (7th in State) - Modern History: 95/100 - Legal Studies: 96/100 Studies of Religion: 47/50

ATAR: 99.85
Studying Arts/Law at Sydney University

Prerna Kumar

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Re: Extension 1 - Romanticism
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2017, 03:09:36 pm »
Hi, I was just wondering what were the ways of thinking about the human mind. I'm unable to grasp this concept. Also, what was the importance of individualism. Thanks

Prerna Kumar

• Adventurer
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2017, 03:15:16 pm »
Hi again! I have to analyse a letter for my upcoming assessment to show ideas of the imagination, the human experience, individualism etc. I was wondering what is the best way to analyse a Romantic letter... is it similar to techniques found in an essay? Also, if you have any great letters in mind please let me know as I haven't chosen one yet.

bowiemily

• HSC Lecturer
  • Forum Obsessive
  • So it goes.
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2017, 07:08:50 pm »
Hi, I was just wondering what were the ways of thinking about the human mind. I'm unable to grasp this concept. Also, what was the importance of individualism. Thanks

Hey Prena,

The ways of thinking about the human mind appeal to individualism, the nature of love, the political freedom of man and the concept of self perfection. Basically, this dot point asks you to explore what Romantics thought the human mind was capable - which was much more than the period before them.

Yes, Romantic letters are very similar to essays. They mostly contain the same techniques. However, you need to consider the audience especially when analysing a letter, as this will effect what the writer discloses. John Keats is famous for his letters, I would strongly recommend him.
AdvEng: 100 (1st in State) - ExtEng: 49/50 - EarthEnviroScience: 95/100 (7th in State) - Modern History: 95/100 - Legal Studies: 96/100 Studies of Religion: 47/50

Prerna Kumar

• Adventurer
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2017, 12:43:09 am »
Thanks for the help :)

Hi again, instead of asking about each line of the syllabus I was wondering if you could help me understand it by breaking it down.
"Texts from and relating to the Romantic period express the transformative ideas, perspectives and ways of thinking that emerged during the late 18th and early 19th centuries. Ways of thinking about the human mind and human experience, and about the individual’s place in the wider social and natural worlds, reveal a particular sense of purpose and creative yearning for coherence, unity and meaning in human life."
Thanks  :) :) :)

Mod Edit: Posts merged.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 01:33:05 am by Aaron »

bowiemily

• HSC Lecturer
  • Forum Obsessive
  • So it goes.
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2017, 08:48:18 am »
Thanks for the help :)

Hi again, instead of asking about each line of the syllabus I was wondering if you could help me understand it by breaking it down.
"Texts from and relating to the Romantic period express the transformative ideas, perspectives and ways of thinking that emerged during the late 18th and early 19th centuries. Ways of thinking about the human mind and human experience, and about the individual’s place in the wider social and natural worlds, reveal a particular sense of purpose and creative yearning for coherence, unity and meaning in human life."
Thanks  :) :) :)

So the main points are as follows:
- Transformative ideas, perspectives and ways of thinking
- Thinking about the human mind
- Thinking about the human experience
- Individuals place in the social and natural worlds
- Yearning for coherence, unity and meaning

These specify the features of the Romantic 'way of thinking'. In extension, it is then the students job to decide how these are best explored in their texts. Remember, that as an extension student, you can challenge the dot points if you feel your texts allow for such. However, I would always come back to these general ideas as sign posts in your essays. This way, its clear for your marker.

Mod Edit: adjusted so that your response sits outside the quote :)
« Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 09:58:36 pm by elysepopplewell »

Ellen310

• Adventurer
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2017, 07:13:04 pm »
Hi there!

I just have a couple of questions in regards to related texts and creative writing, as I'm a little confused on these sections. What related texts did you choose and do you have any tips/recommendations when selecting related texts? I'm considering choosing the romantic painting A Wanderer above the sea of fog as one of my related texts, however I'm not 100% certain yet.

In terms of creative writing, as its never been my strong point (I'm more analytical and suited to writing essays), what would be some tips you would give to writing a kick-ass creative story and ensuring it adapts to the various stimuluses they could throw at you? For example, are there any common themes/motifs you would recommend including?

Thank you so much!  :)

bowiemily

• HSC Lecturer
  • Forum Obsessive
  • So it goes.
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2017, 08:24:43 pm »
Hi there!

I just have a couple of questions in regards to related texts and creative writing, as I'm a little confused on these sections. What related texts did you choose and do you have any tips/recommendations when selecting related texts? I'm considering choosing the romantic painting A Wanderer above the sea of fog as one of my related texts, however I'm not 100% certain yet.

In terms of creative writing, as its never been my strong point (I'm more analytical and suited to writing essays), what would be some tips you would give to writing a kick-ass creative story and ensuring it adapts to the various stimuluses they could throw at you? For example, are there any common themes/motifs you would recommend including?

Thank you so much!  :)

Hey there!

So my ORTs were Ode on a Grecian Urn by Keats and On the Ignorance of the Learned by William Hazlitt. I would always recommend Keats as an ORT if you're not already studying Bright Star in class. The ORT you've mentioned is extremely common, and I would avoid using it. You want to show your own understanding of the text, and sometimes picking the most famous pieces of the time doesn't work in your favour regarding this point. I would also advise to stay within the period when picking an ORT, as these are most likely to portray an authentic 'way of thinking' within Romanticism.

I would latch on to any of the concepts and intricacies that you find the most interesting in the way of thinking, and then attempt to explore these through your creative. I did a lot of contextual research, and this helped me to form realistic yet intriguing characters. Basing your creative on the 'way of thinking' rather than the aesthetic of Romanticism will always work in your favour.

Ellen310

• Adventurer
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2017, 09:51:28 pm »
Hey there!

So my ORTs were Ode on a Grecian Urn by Keats and On the Ignorance of the Learned by William Hazlitt. I would always recommend Keats as an ORT if you're not already studying Bright Star in class. The ORT you've mentioned is extremely common, and I would avoid using it. You want to show your own understanding of the text, and sometimes picking the most famous pieces of the time doesn't work in your favour regarding this point. I would also advise to stay within the period when picking an ORT, as these are most likely to portray an authentic 'way of thinking' within Romanticism.

I would latch on to any of the concepts and intricacies that you find the most interesting in the way of thinking, and then attempt to explore these through your creative. I did a lot of contextual research, and this helped me to form realistic yet intriguing characters. Basing your creative on the 'way of thinking' rather than the aesthetic of Romanticism will always work in your favour.

Thank you so much for that! That's a really good tip about the creative which I'll definitely look into and thanks for the advice about the related texts :)

Ellie__

• Trailblazer
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2017, 07:08:14 am »
Hey Guys,

2 questions-

For my 1/2 yearly essay on romanticism we have to use 4 texts- Frankenstein, related, and two Coleridge poems. I'm struggling on how to structure my essay so that I give enough textual detail but yet cover all texts, have you got any suggestions??

Also i have no clue how to start a romanticism creative writing piece, do you know where I should start??

Thankyou!!!!!!!

bowiemily

• HSC Lecturer
  • Forum Obsessive
  • So it goes.
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2017, 05:09:13 pm »
+1
Hey Guys,

2 questions-

For my 1/2 yearly essay on romanticism we have to use 4 texts- Frankenstein, related, and two Coleridge poems. I'm struggling on how to structure my essay so that I give enough textual detail but yet cover all texts, have you got any suggestions??

Also i have no clue how to start a romanticism creative writing piece, do you know where I should start??

Thankyou!!!!!!!

Hey there Ellie!

So I used to structure my response using themed paragraphs. These themes usually replicated the syllabus. I would then talk about one ORT and one prescribed in each paragraph. In the end, I would have four paragraphs, swapping the prescribed and ORTS in the third and fourth.

As for creative, I would definitely start with contextual research! Coleridge is an extremely interesting figure, particularly in relation to how he raised his son. If some of this contextual detail interests you, you could always use it as inspiration for your creative.

mariahsaad

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2017, 07:19:58 pm »
Hi there! So I have an essay to write regarding the Charles Baudelaire 1846 quote "Romanticism is precisely situated neither in choice of subject, nor exact truth, but in the way of feeling." With reference to the quotation and at least one academic resource, I have to analyse three of Coleridge's poems and ONE related text (of own choosing).

I was wondering how would recommend structuring this, I'm hoping to do themes and considered the RT of Victor Hugo's novella The Last Day of a Condemned Man. But I don't think that it has many parallels with Coleridge's poetry. I would highly appreciate any alternative RT's that you recommend in tackling the question and any themes that you think would suit this question.

Thank you in advance  :)

bowiemily

• HSC Lecturer
  • Forum Obsessive
  • So it goes.
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2017, 07:52:07 pm »
Hi there! So I have an essay to write regarding the Charles Baudelaire 1846 quote "Romanticism is precisely situated neither in choice of subject, nor exact truth, but in the way of feeling." With reference to the quotation and at least one academic resource, I have to analyse three of Coleridge's poems and ONE related text (of own choosing).

I was wondering how would recommend structuring this, I'm hoping to do themes and considered the RT of Victor Hugo's novella The Last Day of a Condemned Man. But I don't think that it has many parallels with Coleridge's poetry. I would highly appreciate any alternative RT's that you recommend in tackling the question and any themes that you think would suit this question.

Thank you in advance  :)

Hey Mariah,

For this, I would really focus on the 'way of feeling' part of the question, and how it connects your texts. Though they may not feel the same way, it is usually the intensity of such a feeling, it's individual and unprecedented nature, as well as it's ethereal nature, that are clear within Romanticism. Maybe you could structure your paragraphs around these three themes? What are your thoughts?

mariahsaad

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2017, 09:13:43 pm »
Thank you so much for that. I really like that idea, I definitely think that by exploring those themes i'll be able to establish a strong and sustained argument. In doing so, which 3 of Coleridge's poetry would you recommend entailing in the essay?

bowiemily

• HSC Lecturer
  • Forum Obsessive
  • So it goes.
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2017, 09:21:22 pm »
Thank you so much for that. I really like that idea, I definitely think that by exploring those themes i'll be able to establish a strong and sustained argument. In doing so, which 3 of Coleridge's poetry would you recommend entailing in the essay?

I would be more inclined to do the two conversational poems and then Rime. Thats only because I hated Kubla Kahn though. Soooo, maybe I don't have the best advice  :P. Pick the ones which you understand the most, or the ones that you interpret uniquely/originally.