Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 30, 2024, 03:31:21 pm

Author Topic: The night before the English Extension 1 Exam  (Read 4329 times)  Share 

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
The night before the English Extension 1 Exam
« on: October 30, 2016, 05:16:21 pm »
+5
Helloooo Extension Oners!

The day before the exam, what a time to be alive, eh?

I'm going to make this one quick, because there's simply two sections of the exam tomorrow: the essay and the creative. I feel like you're prepared for both. Even if you think you aren't. You and I both know what you need to do at this point. Nevertheless, if you're feeling a bit lost and want to know which path to take, here's my suggestions.  :D

So, here is how I think you could be spending tonight or tomorrow morning.

The essay
1. If you haven't already, now is the time to commit those last few quotes to memory. You know, the really tricky one that is super sophisticated but not easily remembered. If not now, then never.
2. Think about your actual main argument. We all know Extension exams throw the most ridiculous curve balls our way, so the more direction you insist on having, the more stable you'll be in the exam. I'm kind of talking about a main thesis that fits in with your texts - but not just a thesis sentence, but a really thought out idea. This has got to be something that is true of your texts and study area undeniably - a bulletproof idea to use no matter what. You're likely to have to change a lot of things in your essay to fit the exam's demands, but you can use your ideas despite all of that: so make your ideas clear.
3. Lastly, I suggest writing an introduction. Write it up, and mould it into a really nice structure. If it so happens that you can use at least 4 out of 5 sentences of this introduction in the exam tomorrow, then you've set the foundations of your essay in stone straight away. That, is what we call, a win.

The Creative
The creative prompts can be pretty crazy.

Exhibit A:
Spoiler
2014 exam:
Compose a piece of original imaginative writing that explores ideas about doubt.
Your composition must include an apology as an important element.
Your response should reflect your knowledge and understanding of the elective Life Writing.

Exhibit B: (the epitome of curve ball prompts)
Spoiler
2013 exam.
Compose a piece of original imaginative writing which involves two characters who are significantly connected but never meet.
Your response should reflect your understanding of the elective After the Bomb.

So what I'm suggesting at this point is: face those prompts now. Have a look at all of the past papers you can get your eyes on, and genuinely challenge yourself into adapting your creative to those prompts. It's excellent practice to prepare stretching your creatives in this most abstract way now, so that when you enter the exam and have some crazy shit thrown your way, you already know that your work has the capacity to adapt. It's about pushing your work to the limits before the exam, so that you convince yourself that the limit does not exist.

This ain't no time for stressin'
The exam is tomorrow, and Extension is one hellova subject. You've done exceptionally well to stay on top of it this year to still be here, ready to sit the exam tomorrow. I know you're aching right now and it's tough, and your motivation is fading. But, you're not being quizzed on all of the facts you've picked up throughout the year - you're being tested on your ability to present it all in wonderful writing form. That's something that you can control. So tonight, if nothing else, work on your expression. Consider how you'll word things, make sure your ideas are clear, and tomorrow you'll adapt to whatever they throw your way.

I can't wait to see the paper and hear all of your thoughts. Tell me how you're studying tonight? I'd love to know!

We're all one big Extension fam... *tears*

Ask all of your questions here, or join in the discussion in the Q+A thread here!
« Last Edit: October 30, 2016, 05:28:53 pm by elysepopplewell »
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

hmmo_o

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
  • School: Tyndale Christian School
  • School Grad Year: 2016
Re: The night before the English Extension 1 Exam
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2016, 06:25:53 pm »
But, you're not being quizzed on all of the facts you've picked up throughout the year - you're being tested on your ability to present it all in wonderful writing form. That's something that you can control. So tonight, if nothing else, work on your expression. Consider how you'll word things, make sure your ideas are clear, and tomorrow you'll adapt to whatever they throw your way.

I can't wait to see the paper and hear all of your thoughts. Tell me how you're studying tonight? I'd love to know!

Hey Elyse, (this might sound really dumb but..) what are some really quick things I could keep in mind when working on my expression? Though I know that's the crucial part of Extension, it's always been my downfall, and I could never quite grasp it. (probably because I'm esl) My justification is that I picked up extension one so that I could do extension two..

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2016, 10:09:43 pm »
Hey Elyse, (this might sound really dumb but..) what are some really quick things I could keep in mind when working on my expression? Though I know that's the crucial part of Extension, it's always been my downfall, and I could never quite grasp it. (probably because I'm esl) My justification is that I picked up extension one so that I could do extension two..

I know I already answered this on PM, but I'll put it here in case anyone else is struggling:

Think of your essay/creative like cordial. In a creative, if a sentence isn't revealing plot or character, then it has no point. In an essay, if you're not directly answering the question, there is no point to that sentence. So if your essay is like cordial, you want to suck all of the water out and leave it super strong. So in an exam, constantly force yourself to consider, what is this sentence doing? Or if you're lost for words, "what is my next direction and what words will get me there?" Yes, you need to be writing quickly, but there's no point writing quickly if you aren't making sense.

Think of the cordial :)
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

hmmo_o

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
  • School: Tyndale Christian School
  • School Grad Year: 2016
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2016, 01:26:46 am »
+1
I know I already answered this on PM, but I'll put it here in case anyone else is struggling:

Think of your essay/creative like cordial. In a creative, if a sentence isn't revealing plot or character, then it has no point. In an essay, if you're not directly answering the question, there is no point to that sentence. So if your essay is like cordial, you want to suck all of the water out and leave it super strong. So in an exam, constantly force yourself to consider, what is this sentence doing? Or if you're lost for words, "what is my next direction and what words will get me there?" Yes, you need to be writing quickly, but there's no point writing quickly if you aren't making sense.

Think of the cordial :)

Thanks so much again Elyse!! :D