Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 10:44:39 am

Author Topic: VCE Biology Question Thread  (Read 3571083 times)  Share 

tiredandstressed

• MOTM: DEC 20
  • Forum Obsessive
  • pretty without the r (he/him)
  • Respect: +167
Re: VCE Biology Question Thread
« Reply #12825 on: August 05, 2020, 05:39:52 pm »
+4
Hello
I was having trouble with this question if someone could help me
You are given the task to develop an antiretroviral drug to combat the recently discovered infectious agent know as HIV. You decide to develop a drug that targets an aspect of the HIV life cycle. Which aspect of the HIV cycle would you target and why
You may need to consider the principle of Relenza as a drug for Influenza
VCE '17-'18
2017: Biology, Psychology
2018: English, HHD, Chemistry, Methods
2019-22: Bachelor of Biomedicine (Honours) @ UoM
My guides:
A quick guide to language and argument analysis
HHD sample questions
HHD 2019 Comprehensive examiner report analysis

whys

• VIC MVP - 2020
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +916
« Reply #12826 on: August 05, 2020, 05:59:29 pm »
+5
Hello
I was having trouble with this question if someone could help me
You are given the task to develop an antiretroviral drug to combat the recently discovered infectious agent know as HIV. You decide to develop a drug that targets an aspect of the HIV life cycle. Which aspect of the HIV cycle would you target and why
For this question, I would say the administration of a drug that inhibits the action of reverse transcriptase, an enzyme used to back-copy RNA to DNA (reverse transcription) in retroviruses such as HIV. By blocking the action of this enzyme, the virus will not be able to successfully insert its genetic material into a cell and infect it. There are probably other viable options, but this is the answer I would put for the sake of sticking to the study design. Hope it helps!
psych [50] bio [50]
2021-2025: BMedSci/MD @ Monash

Chocolatepistachio

• Science Games: Silver
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +51
« Reply #12827 on: August 05, 2020, 06:07:16 pm »
Thanks guys!

homeworkisapotato

• MOTM: Aug 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +288
« Reply #12828 on: August 05, 2020, 07:03:19 pm »
Hey! Rational drug design has been taken off the study design this year  :)
Edit: Is it still possible to get this kind of question in an exam?
« Last Edit: August 05, 2020, 07:45:19 pm by homeworkisapotato »
2020: Biology [43]
2021: Methods, Chemistry, HHD, English, Further
Selective School Entry Tips

eemmaa

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +37
« Reply #12829 on: August 09, 2020, 06:38:17 pm »
What's the difference between a mould and cast fossil?

homeworkisapotato

• Forum Leader
« Reply #12830 on: August 09, 2020, 06:43:33 pm »
+4
Mould fossils show the impression the body of an organism leaves with no soft tissues. For example, the print of a leaf.
Cast fossils are similar but the soft tissues are replaced by other minerals in the area which seep in. For example, the shell of some ancient snail filled with opal stone inside near an opal mine.

whys

• VIC MVP - 2020
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +916
« Reply #12831 on: August 09, 2020, 06:45:33 pm »
+4
Hey! Rational drug design has been taken off the study design this year  :)
Edit: Is it still possible to get this kind of question in an exam?
Questions specifically on rational drug design will not be on the exam. However, the question posted by chocolatepistachio does not require knowledge about rational drug design to answer (although it may be helpful) - you just need to have an understanding of viruses and you should be able to come up with a reasonable answer.

A mould fossil is an impression or imprint, whereas a cast fossil is the mineral sediment that fills a mould/imprinted shape. I have not done this topic yet, so might want to clarify with someone else. :)
EDIT: (homeworkisapotato bet me to it)
« Last Edit: August 09, 2020, 06:53:03 pm by whys »
psych [50] bio [50]
2021-2025: BMedSci/MD @ Monash

homeworkisapotato

• Forum Leader
« Reply #12832 on: August 10, 2020, 09:06:04 am »
Questions specifically on rational drug design will not be on the exam. However, the question posted by chocolatepistachio does not require knowledge about rational drug design to answer (although it may be helpful) - you just need to have an understanding of viruses and you should be able to come up with a reasonable answer.
A mould fossil is an impression or imprint, whereas a cast fossil is the mineral sediment that fills a mould/imprinted shape. I have not done this topic yet, so might want to clarify with someone else. :)
EDIT: (homeworkisapotato bet me to it)
Thank you for answering my rational drug design question!

I was wondering for unit 4 aos 1, how much do we have to know about all the different hominin species? Specifically Homo heidelbergensis, homo erectus, and homo habilis? I understand that Australopithecus and homo neanderthalensis are important, but my textbook and other resources go specifically into the other three sometimes. Also with the structural changes of hominins, my textbook gives specific measurements for changes in cranial capacity (like 460 cubic centimetres to 1350cc). Do I need to memorise that?

Owlbird83

• BLAA 2020
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +785
« Reply #12833 on: August 10, 2020, 10:42:18 am »
+5
Thank you for answering my rational drug design question!

I was wondering for unit 4 aos 1, how much do we have to know about all the different hominin species? Specifically Homo heidelbergensis, homo erectus, and homo habilis? I understand that Australopithecus and homo neanderthalensis are important, but my textbook and other resources go specifically into the other three sometimes. Also with the structural changes of hominins, my textbook gives specific measurements for changes in cranial capacity (like 460 cubic centimetres to 1350cc). Do I need to memorise that?

Definitely don't need to memorise that stuff. The textbook has way too much detail you don't need to know in this topic particularly I think. In VCAA FAQs they say that you don't need to know specific traits of each species, just the general trends in evolution of them. For example how overtime the cranial capacity to body size increases through the species.
2018: Biology
2019: Chemistry, Physics, Math Methods, English, Japanese
2020: Bachelor of Psychology (Monash)

Chocolatepistachio

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #12834 on: August 10, 2020, 07:05:31 pm »
For this question
Why is genetic variation important?
Genetic variation is important because is there is a change in the environment some individuals will be able to survive and reproduce therefore maintaining the survival of the population.
Would this answer be fine

Also
How can genetic drift be slowed by gene flow

homeworkisapotato

• Forum Leader
« Reply #12835 on: August 10, 2020, 07:18:11 pm »
+5
-species are more likely to have advantageous phenotypes helping them survive in new selection pressures

How can genetic drift be slowed by gene flow?
- As gene flow increases the genetic diversity in a population, migration into population increases chance of different phenotypes being introduced into a population, slowing genetic drift

Chocolatepistachio

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #12836 on: August 12, 2020, 04:17:04 pm »
Hello
why is the answer for this question c

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #12837 on: August 12, 2020, 04:36:06 pm »
+5
For this question
Genetic variation is important because is there is a change in the environment some individuals will be able to survive and reproduce therefore maintaining the survival of the population.
Would this answer be fine

Your answer doesn't explain why genetic diversity increases the chance of some individuals surviving & I think it should

Also
How can genetic drift be slowed by gene flow

This is a really weird question to me. Like asking how random demographic change could be slowed by migration. Is this an exact question you were presented with?

Hello

Think about: Of these things, which would be included in the dry weight of the sample?
« Last Edit: August 12, 2020, 04:37:39 pm by Bri MT »

• MOTM: July 20
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +158
« Reply #12838 on: August 12, 2020, 04:37:34 pm »
+5
Hello
Try doing some elimination, it's not a because the hole puncher is the same area and B water doesn't count for dry weight. D (transpire) is losing water so it wouldn’t be that, remember area + no water are constant

Carbohydrate is produced from photosynthesis (obv) and is stored in the plant cells for energy, so it is likely (most definitely, lol) that the plant underwent this process in the week.

EDIT: Just adding to Bri MT's response.

This is a really weird question to me. Like asking how random demographic change could be slowed by migration. Is this an exact question you were presented with?
Genetic drift can be slowed by gene flow because it is the transfer of different genes from one population to another, so there will likely be a lot of genetic variation, if I'm understanding Chocolatepistachio's question correctly.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2020, 04:46:54 pm by 1729 »

Chocolatepistachio

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #12839 on: August 12, 2020, 04:52:28 pm »
thanks also for this question why is it d and not 0.2.