Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 02:53:22 am

Author Topic: Recording Classes in Year 12  (Read 5130 times)

brothanathan

Recording Classes in Year 12
« on: July 13, 2019, 04:50:26 pm »
G'day everyone,

We all know the laws of consent and etc., although many of us don't follow them (haha). Anyway, as a senior student how should you ask your teacher without making it uncomfortable or awkward if you can record the lesson. I want to maintain highly positive and mutual student-teacher relationships next year and I've recently realized I'm in many situations an auditory learner, as in I can recall information from a simple mention of a name of a story or reference to a certain topic for example. Especially when I have a full recording of a class I can fully manage my forgetting curve.

Would be great if someone like Aaron who's a current teacher to answer this or anyone who's experienced in asking these favors.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2019, 04:58:42 pm by brothanathan »

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Musical Theatre Tragic And Ultimate Pun Generator
  • Respect: +1026
Re: Recording Classes in Year 12
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2019, 06:17:04 pm »
+3
G'day everyone,

We all know the laws of consent and etc., although many of us don't follow them (haha). Anyway, as a senior student how should you ask your teacher without making it uncomfortable or awkward if you can record the lesson. I want to maintain highly positive and mutual student-teacher relationships next year and I've recently realized I'm in many situations an auditory learner, as in I can recall information from a simple mention of a name of a story or reference to a certain topic for example. Especially when I have a full recording of a class I can fully manage my forgetting curve.

Would be great if someone like Aaron who's a current teacher to answer this or anyone who's experienced in asking these favors.

Hey, brothanathan!

I'm also an auditory learner (hence why I'm studying Music Ed ;) ) so I can definitely relate to the whole recalling information from simple mentions part of all of this. Good to see you're thinking about the best ways to approach study now, early and ahead of your final year  8)

I would just ask politely if recording the lessons would be allowed and clearly explain your reasons for wanting to do so. Having their consent is important and the best way to gain it would be to be transparent about your intentions. If they give you permission, then fantastic! If they don't, do say that you understand and politely ask if they have any recommendations on how you could alternatively approach your lessons. That way, it reinforces your positive learning goals and won't cause any issues for the student-teacher dynamic.

One thing I found helpful was finding a nice balance between auditory and verbal learning by doing rough-note taking in class. I would jot down the key parts of the content and any words or stories my teacher told that I found useful in my book. Once I got home, I would attempt to read them out loud and remember the surrounding material from the lesson. If I remembered the full thing, I would type it and add it to my notes. If I didn't, I highlighted it and asked them the next day if they could clarify it.This eventually helped me improve my memory and I was able to teach a lot of my content to my younger sister because I had recited it before (which is another amazing study tip)! Hope it works out with your teacher and if not, that makes a suitable alternative!

Angelina  ;D 
« Last Edit: July 13, 2019, 06:18:38 pm by angewina_naguen »
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +856
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2019, 06:28:42 pm »
+3
In Year 6 at my old school (a P-12 school), I was taking a couple of Year 7 subjects and I would record the classes I missed. It was actually a teacher who set up that system for me which I suppose it why it was so easy to get permission. Completely understand your reasoning and hopefully, your teachers will too. I think as long as you are respectful about asking, the worst they can say is no.

Would be really interested to hear a teacher's perspective on this. Specifically, if recording a class would make them uncomfortable and why.

Please keep us updated if you do decide to ask!

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +1536
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2019, 06:41:51 pm »
+10
Ensure that you explain the educational benefit to recording the teacher for a lesson. When you record, it's important to make sure that you do not record anybody else apart from the teacher. You are correct in saying it's actually illegal to record somebody without consent (and this is no different in a classroom context, as it's not "public" so to speak). I actually had a situation late last term where a student was recording (without permission) and I had to stop it as it contained other students and the student did not request the consent of the teacher before doing it.

You have to respect the decision of the teacher, however. If they say no (and there are going to be a few teachers that don't feel comfortable with you recording them for various reasons), you have to follow it and seek alternatives to assist your learning (e.g. youtube vids, edrolo).

Even if the teacher provides consent, you cannot record or take photos of any other student. You can get into some serious trouble if you end up taking a video/photo of a student without knowing if there are any restrictions in place (e.g. access/custody issues resulting in photo/video bans in the school environment).

I personally can understand and I get the reasoning behind why you'd want to record a lesson for playback later on.

So key points:
- Consent MUST be sought from the teacher before you even photo or video the teacher, preferably in writing but verbal is fine too.
- Even if you have consent, only the teacher can be recorded. No students should be in your recording (nor should anybody who hasn't given you explicit consent).
- Provide an educational benefit for why you are doing it. Support yourself. If you just approach a teacher and say "can I record you", the answer will most likely be no.
- Some teachers will be happy for you to, but some will not (for varying reasons). Respect the decision of the teacher and move on if they say no.
Experience in teaching at both secondary and tertiary levels.

website // new forum profile

brothanathan

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2019, 11:07:01 pm »
+1
Thank you for the support guys :) Haven't asked a question for a while.

Ensure that you explain the educational benefit to recording the teacher for a lesson. When you record, it's important to make sure that you do not record anybody else apart from the teacher. You are correct in saying it's actually illegal to record somebody without consent (and this is no different in a classroom context, as it's not "public" so to speak). I actually had a situation late last term where a student was recording (without permission) and I had to stop it as it contained other students and the student did not request the consent of the teacher before doing it.

You have to respect the decision of the teacher, however. If they say no (and there are going to be a few teachers that don't feel comfortable with you recording them for various reasons), you have to follow it and seek alternatives to assist your learning (e.g. youtube vids, edrolo).

Even if the teacher provides consent, you cannot record or take photos of any other student. You can get into some serious trouble if you end up taking a video/photo of a student without knowing if there are any restrictions in place (e.g. access/custody issues resulting in photo/video bans in the school environment).

I personally can understand and I get the reasoning behind why you'd want to record a lesson for playback later on.

So key points:
- Consent MUST be sought from the teacher before you even photo or video the teacher, preferably in writing but verbal is fine too.
- Even if you have consent, only the teacher can be recorded. No students should be in your recording (nor should anybody who hasn't given you explicit consent).
- Provide an educational benefit for why you are doing it. Support yourself. If you just approach a teacher and say "can I record you", the answer will most likely be no.
- Some teachers will be happy for you to, but some will not (for varying reasons). Respect the decision of the teacher and move on if they say no.

Thank you for your advice sir :)

Please keep us updated if you do decide to ask!

Sure will ;)

Hey, brothanathan!

I'm also an auditory learner (hence why I'm studying Music Ed ;) ) so I can definitely relate to the whole recalling information from simple mentions part of all of this. Good to see you're thinking about the best ways to approach study now, early and ahead of your final year  8)

I would just ask politely if recording the lessons would be allowed and clearly explain your reasons for wanting to do so. Having their consent is important and the best way to gain it would be to be transparent about your intentions. If they give you permission, then fantastic! If they don't, do say that you understand and politely ask if they have any recommendations on how you could alternatively approach your lessons. That way, it reinforces your positive learning goals and won't cause any issues for the student-teacher dynamic.

One thing I found helpful was finding a nice balance between auditory and verbal learning by doing rough-note taking in class. I would jot down the key parts of the content and any words or stories my teacher told that I found useful in my book. Once I got home, I would attempt to read them out loud and remember the surrounding material from the lesson. If I remembered the full thing, I would type it and add it to my notes. If I didn't, I highlighted it and asked them the next day if they could clarify it.This eventually helped me improve my memory and I was able to teach a lot of my content to my younger sister because I had recited it before (which is another amazing study tip)! Hope it works out with your teacher and if not, that makes a suitable alternative!

Angelina  ;D

I read a blog post on how to study for VCE Biology today
(here's the link to Kelly's blog if anyone's intrigued: https://happykellydays.wordpress.com/)
and she stated that being fluent in all learning styles is very beneficial as well. Thank you for the heads up Angelina :) and the alternative you used is great and on a side note I would've done VET Music Performance if I knew there was such a thing (as in no theory assessments) earlier. I can't just do the 3/4 apparently (I have to it in sequence e.g. 1/2 then 3/4) and either way, I'll most likely end up doing 7 subjects if I took it so if that happens the VET doesn't count towards your ATAR.

Mod edit: merged posts. Please use the 'modify' button to add to your first post rather than posting in succession -- this cuts down on forum spam. --Calebark

Edit: Oops should've done that, quite unpresentable. I will express my gratitude in a more refined manner next time. Thanks Calebark
« Last Edit: July 18, 2019, 11:51:59 pm by brothanathan »