Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 03:43:35 pm

Author Topic: What subjects are considered when applying for honours in psychology?  (Read 10393 times)  Share 

zomgSEAN

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • goon <3
  • Respect: +1
Selection into fourth year is based on academic performance.

A numerical index is computed for each applicant using a combination of second and third level subjects. The index is a weighted average of all third level subjects and all second level psychology subjects. All results are converted to the University of Melbourne scale. Third level marks are weighted by their credit-point value, and second level psychology subjects are weighted by one third of their credit-point value. (For University of Melbourne students, second level psychology subjects usually contribute around 20% of the final index.)

Does this mean it is ONLY second-level psych subjects, but ALL third-level subjects, including breadth and non-psych subs?

It seems unclear :\
arts arts arts arts arts arts arts
Psychology Major at UoM - Resident of St. Hilda's College
Awarded PhD(Honours) in Beer on 23/2/11
objective immorality does not exist

TrueLight

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +9
Re: What subjects are considered when applying for honours in psychology?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2011, 02:41:11 pm »
they take the wam of all 2nd and 3rd year psychology subjects. But 3rd year marks are weighted more heavily.

thats how i understood it
http://www.campaignforliberty.com

Completed Bachelor of Science. Majored in Immunology and Microbiology.

“Who controls the past, controls the future. Who controls the present, controls the past.”
George Orwell, 1984.

"Terrorism is the best political weapon for nothing drives people harder than a fear of sudden death."
Adolf Hitler

“The bigger the lie, the more inclined people will be to believe it”
Adolf Hitler

"Beware the leader who bangs the drums of war in order to whip the citizenry into a patriotic fervor, for patriotism is indeed a double-edged sword. It both emboldens the blood, just

zomgSEAN

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • goon <3
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2011, 02:46:25 pm »
they take the wam of all 2nd and 3rd year psychology subjects. But 3rd year marks are weighted more heavily.

thats how i understood it

So non-psych subjects aren't counted at all?

TrueLight

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2011, 02:57:51 pm »
nope

when i applied for honours they only took the 3rd year major marks, not any other units you have done but for psych it says 2nd and 3rd year units

“Who controls the past, controls the future. Who controls the present, controls the past.”
George Orwell, 1984.

"Terrorism is the best political weapon for nothing drives people harder than a fear of sudden death."
Adolf Hitler

Adolf Hitler

"Beware the leader who bangs the drums of war in order to whip the citizenry into a patriotic fervor, for patriotism is indeed a double-edged sword. It both emboldens the blood, just

Russ

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +661
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2011, 03:30:44 pm »
The way it's worded sounds like they do count any other subjects at third year. Drop the faculty an email and ask.

TrueLight

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2011, 07:38:12 pm »
I was just going through both the melbourne and monash websites
but an honours degree and postgraduate diploma are different (in name only at monash a different faculty handles both but didnt check melbourne)
"The course structure for both fourth year courses is the same, and involves the completion of three compulsory subjects (which includes the research project), and two elective subjects."
these are just snippets i found at the melbourne site if you look here
https://handbook.unimelb.edu.au/view/2011/BH-SCI#structureId

scroll down to psychology
"In addition to satisfying the BSc (hons) entry requirements, students interested in entering the Psychology program will need to have a major in Psychology with a weighted average of at least H2A (75%) in second and third-year subjects within the Psychology area of study, or equivalent. In computing the weighted average, second year subjects are normally assigned one-third of the weight of third-year subjects."

"Entry into an Honours program is subject to the capacity of the department(s) or schools(s) offering the program to provide adequate supervision in a project appropriate to the interests and preparation of the individual student.
d. For entry to the BSc(hons) in 2011 and 2012 only, the Selection Committee is permitted, at its discretion, to evaluate an applicant’s ability to pursue the course successfully using, as an alternative to the normal criteria,
• an undergraduate degree as detailed above, with a major relevant to the honours discipline into which entry is sought, with an average of at least H3 (65%) across 87.5 points of third-year study.
Selection is not automatic and in particular is subject to competition, to any relevant quotas, and to the availability of supervision and resources in suitable project areas."

"Students are ranked for selection according to the index and the highest ranked students falling within the agreed quota are recommended to the Faculties for selection. It should be noted that students are only considered for selection if the credit-point weighted average of all second and third level psychology subjects is at least 70% (when converted to the University of Melbourne scale)."

eh just email them lol melbourne site sucks :P

George Orwell, 1984.

Adolf Hitler

Adolf Hitler

zomgSEAN

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • goon <3
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2011, 07:19:50 pm »
Okay, so i just stumbled upon this link:

http://www.psych.unimelb.edu.au/courses/fourthyear/fourth_year_info_session.pdf

And, it turns out that ONLY second-level PSYCH subjects are counted
but ALL third-level subjects are counted; not just psych ones.

Thanks for all your help guizzeeee.

simpak

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +376
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2011, 09:07:04 pm »
Yeah but tbqh the competition for trying to get into Psych Honours at Melbourne is very high because if you don't have four years you can't practice or go on to further study.
So they're kind of likely to look at your whole academic record bar first year.
2009 ENTER: 99.05
2014: BSci Hons (Microbiology/Immunology) at UoM
2015+: PhD (Immunology) at UoM

zomgSEAN

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • goon <3
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2011, 09:18:53 pm »
Yeah but tbqh the competition for trying to get into Psych Honours at Melbourne is very high because if you don't have four years you can't practice or go on to further study.

Hmm, I was thinking that.

Meh, i'll just H1 everything for lulz.

simpak

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2011, 09:25:15 pm »

Just be me, everyone in my psych tute hates me.

zomgSEAN

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • goon <3
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2011, 09:34:14 pm »

Just be me, everyone in my psych tute hates me.

Why?

Russ

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +661
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2011, 09:36:40 pm »
arts students doing psych generally have never done biology before and absolutely freak out at it :P

zomgSEAN

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • goon <3
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2011, 09:43:07 pm »
arts students doing psych generally have never done biology before and absolutely freak out at it :P

Oh. Haha.

That'll be me!

simpak

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2011, 10:02:03 pm »
They all hate me because I get straight H1s and it means if I don't transfer out of their course I will take their Honours placements.  And then I spend all my time being like 'oh but I only got 85 so it wasn't that good'.  Yeah and then what Russ said, they all either know how to write essays or don't understand the science or stats of it all depending on whether they come from Arts or Science.  There aren't many who can do both...just sayin'.

simpak

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2011, 10:13:38 pm »
Okay no, sorry for the double post but I'm serious Russ I don't know what to do and I have to decide by tomorrow because neither vtac or melbourne uni will be able to help me on the weekend.  Tomorrow is also my first day of a new job.
TALK ABOUT A STRESSFEST.
Anyway what do I do, do I apply for an irregular offer for science?  I'm so unsure about a medicine pathway because it's hard to do/I don't know if I definitely want to be a doctor.  And I don't want to do essays anymore so screw that.  So I guess the best plan was always the more flexible one that I had rejected.
But I don't know what happens with my credit, I got this email that wasn't even addressed to me, it was addressed to 'Mr. Wilkin' and about how I (or him?) could send in this form by the 31st saying what major I wanted to do and they would choose what subjects to credit me appropriately.  But then if I decided I didn't want to major in psychology while in first year does that mean I am locked out of doing like, anything else that would require subjects I could no longer fit in?  That is, if I sent in the form saying I intend to major in psychology and they credit me for my psych subjects then and there, what would happen to a major like Animal Health where you need Physics (which I did not do in VCE) to do one of the subjects you need for the Vetinary Bioscience major.  Because I would have no room, if I did Biologyx2 and Chemistryx2.  I would have already done eight subjects with the advanced standing included.
OH.  MY.  GOD.