Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 09:36:33 am

Author Topic: Chemical Engineering  (Read 4300 times)  Share 

Jakeybaby

• Trendsetter
  • Grad Year: 2016
  • Respect: +23
Chemical Engineering
« on: June 16, 2016, 02:19:44 am »
Hi guys,

Does anyone have thoughts about the chemical engineering industry? Just looking for some more thoughts.

In terms of tertiary study, I should be attending Uni of Adelaide to study this course. But I'm wondering whether I should do:

Chemical & Pharmaceutical Engineering
or
A double degree:
Chemical Engineering w/ Mathematical & Computer Sciences
Chemical Engineering w/ Finance

I think that I'd rather enjoy the pharmaceutical side of the engineering, but would a double degree be worth extra year?
2016 ATAR: 98.60

2020: Bachelor of Finance @ University of Adelaide

Recipient of the 2017 University of Adelaide Principals' Scholarship

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +1536
Re: Chemical Engineering
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2016, 02:44:19 am »
Moved to Chemical Engineering sub-forum from Employment and Careers.

I think especially with career choices (e.g. should I do this as well as this...?), your choices need to be relevant to your future field. Ask yourself this: am I going to really need 'Mathematical & Computer Sciences' or 'Finance' in my future career?

More specifically, a discipline such as Computer Science is one where you need a genuine interest in computers (more specifically, programming, algorithms and so on). I can't tell you how many people i've seen drop out or switch out of IT/Computer Science related degrees simply because they thought 'oh yeah, it has the word Computer in it, sounds like a load of fun!' and then reality sinks in :P

It's only worth the extra year if you'll actually put that second degree to use in some way. I would stick with the single to be honest. That's just my opinion though :) Do you have career counsellors at your school that can assist with this kind of thing?
« Last Edit: June 16, 2016, 02:52:51 am by Aaron »
Experience in teaching at both secondary and tertiary levels.

website // new forum profile

Jakeybaby

• Trendsetter
  • Grad Year: 2016
  • Respect: +23
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2016, 03:02:12 am »
Yep sure do, but I like to gain current students opinions too. As I feel as its a more 'first hand' opinion, especially when there are students who are potentially studying the course right now. As you said: "Am I really going to need those other courses?" Probably not.
2016 ATAR: 98.60

2020: Bachelor of Finance @ University of Adelaide

Recipient of the 2017 University of Adelaide Principals' Scholarship

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +1536
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2016, 03:22:38 am »
Have a read of other posts in the Chemical Eng. forum (even though they're a bit dated, they may still be of some use.. somehow)

Chemical
Experience in teaching at both secondary and tertiary levels.

website // new forum profile