Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 07:18:31 pm

Author Topic: Nick's Ask Me Anything  (Read 5837 times)

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
Re: Nick's Ask Me Anything
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2019, 10:37:18 am »
+9
What breed is Neville? Do you have a photo of him?  ;D

He's a cavoodle! He's almost 14 months old now. I have many hundreds of photos haha, but for now, please enjoy this video of his initial stages of life:

Will get some adorable photos up at some point. :)

To add on to whys' question: What is your current favourite photo of Neville, and why?

This is like trying to choose a favourite child, haha. There's one particularly adorable photo of him looking up at the camera. Sounds innocuous but I melt every time. Also, any time he's tired and drowsy, or has found a stick. As above, will get some photos up as a public service. ;D

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2019, 10:39:45 am »
+5
What's your favourite type of weather? Justify your answer by way of an example. ;D

About 14 degrees and drizzle. But not windy. Really can't stand the heat, and being exposed to too much sun really gets to me, which is actually interesting given how much time I used to spend outside playing cricket and stuff. But yeah, defs prefer winter to summer overall. :)

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +856
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2019, 11:35:48 am »
+4
Good question. I'm not 100% sure what attracted me initially. I didn't even know what a verb was until like Year 11 haha. Linguistics was my last-chosen subject in my first year of uni. I was always decent at English so I think I probably just wanted to know more about words and stuff. My first year subjects were:

> Psychology
> Human Rights Theory
> International Studies
> Linguistics

What was it like studying Human Rights Theory? That sounds fascinating! Is it applicable to day-to-day things you do? ;D

About 14 degrees and drizzle. But not windy. Really can't stand the heat, and being exposed to too much sun really gets to me, which is actually interesting given how much time I used to spend outside playing cricket and stuff. But yeah, defs prefer winter to summer overall. :)
Good answer. ;D

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2019, 12:04:23 pm »
+6
What was it like studying Human Rights Theory? That sounds fascinating! Is it applicable to day-to-day things you do? ;D

I personally didn't love it, didn't hate it. Honestly stretching my memory a bit for specifics, but at the time I recall thinking it was pretty applicable for the most part. You can read Brenden's reviews of the first-year units I took here:

> ATS1314 Human Rights Theory 1
> ATS1315 Human Rights Theory 2

Owlbird83

• BLAA 2020
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +785
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2019, 12:49:51 pm »
+2

Thanks so much for the super detailed reply!! :)

Would you consider yourself an introvert or extrovert or both?
2018: Biology
2019: Chemistry, Physics, Math Methods, English, Japanese
2020: Bachelor of Psychology (Monash)

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2019, 01:20:51 pm »
+7
Thanks so much for the super detailed reply!! :)

Would you consider yourself an introvert or extrovert or both?

100% an introvert.

EDIT: I wonder what the ratio of introvert:extrovert is on ATAR Notes! Somebody should make a poll. ;)
« Last Edit: November 07, 2019, 03:27:24 pm by Joseph41 »

Tvisha K

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2019, 10:29:50 am »
+4
is there a way I can bring my grades from year 11 up in year 12, if so do u have any tips for the holidays coming up?

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2019, 10:46:39 am »
+8
is there a way I can bring my grades from year 11 up in year 12, if so do u have any tips for the holidays coming up?

Hey Tvisha. :) Sure, there are lots of ways! But I think it depends a little on why you're losing marks in the first place. For example, do you think you're losing marks because you:

* leave things to the last minute?
* aren't giving things your best shot due to a lack of motivation?
* are studying inefficiently?
* feel burnt out?
* are misreading questions?
* perform poorly on exams?

There are lots of reasons you might be losing marks, and in all likelihood there's probably a combination of reasons. So that would change my answer a little, but a few pieces of general advice probably applicable to most situations:

When you study, actually study.
It's so easy to sit down for a study session, and then in two hours, think, "wow, I actually don't know what I got out of that". I think this is where "studying smart, not hard" comes into play - actually setting yourself up for success by limiting distractions before you start studying. So for me, that meant turning off my phone, not taking my laptop (I personally did almost all of my study by hand, but this is a personal choice), setting myself up with a nice glass of water etc. Getting into a study zone is the first step to not wasting time. Doing this has other benefits, too - when you're not studying, you can be more guilt-free!

Have a system.
Organisation is a big thing, I think. I had a system of sorts for the way I took notes and revised (one notebook for rough notes, one notebook for neat summaries, one notebook for practice questions). I also had a system for time management (loved to-do lists, didn't like study timetables - but again, this is a personal choice). Try a few things out and see what works for you!

I never studied at night, because that wasn't effective or efficient for me. So I woke up a bit earlier and studied at school in the mornings. If I tried to do what a lot of other people were doing (pulling all-nighters etc.), I definitely wouldn't have done as well.

Do the little things consistently well.
Advice like "eat well", "sleep well" etc. is pretty generic, but also pretty useful, assuming you take it seriously. IMO the people who get great marks aren't doing anything ridiculously, amazingly different - they're just consistently doing the small things well. These things add up over time. For example, if you're dehydrated on one day, that probably won't make a huge difference to your marks. But if you're dehydrated every day between now and the day you get your ATAR, of course that'll impact your marks! It's all about doing things bit by bit, and consistently. Cramming is overrated. ;)

In terms of what to do specifically over the break, why not try a few different study techniques? There are literally hundreds and hundreds of ways to study, and different things work for different people. You might be interested in this article here.

Good luck - feel free to ask any follow-up questions! :)

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +856
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2019, 12:23:19 pm »
+2
Those tips were great Nick! Do you have advice for dealing with burnout?

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2019, 12:28:47 pm »
+7
Those tips were great Nick! Do you have advice for dealing with burnout?

Check out some tips in the article below. :)

https://atarnotes.com/qce-burnout/

In general, I'd say not going too hard for too long is important. And to avoid feeling as though you need do that, consistency (I keep coming back to this) is great. Doing some study here and there across the year means you don't need to pull out the all-nighters etc. later on, which I think is where a lot of the burnout comes.

Tvisha K

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2019, 07:28:17 pm »
+4

In terms of what to do specifically over the break, why not try a few different study techniques? There are literally hundreds and hundreds of ways to study, and different things work for different people. You might be interested in this article here.

Good luck - feel free to ask any follow-up questions! :)

omg thank you so much.

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2019, 09:51:58 am »
+2
omg thank you so much.

No worries at all! Super happy to answer any other questions you have. :)