Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 09:29:49 pm

Author Topic: Making the switch to Bachelor of Arts at Monash  (Read 970 times)  Share 

JR_StudyEd

• MOTM: MAY 19
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Mental health is #1
  • Respect: +171
Making the switch to Bachelor of Arts at Monash
« on: May 05, 2020, 02:27:44 pm »
+2
Hi, so I am looking to transfer from my current degree (Psychological Studies at VU) to Arts at Monash for Semester 1, 2021. The course website says:

To be considered on the basis of tertiary study alone, applicants who have completed VCE or equivalent will be required to complete the equivalent of one year (48 credit points) of a recognised university degree and will require an average result of at least 60% (including failed units).

Does this mean I need to have completed a full year of study before applying? Or will Monash know that I would have completed a full year of study? I ask this because VTAC applications for the Semester 1, 2021 intake close at the end of September, and I would not have officially completed a full year yet, but I would obviously be on track to do so.

Thanks!
Listens to K-Pop (Twice, Red Velvet, MAMAMOO) and Christmas music all year round.

AngelWings

• ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
Re: Making the switch to Bachelor of Arts at Monash
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2020, 08:17:24 pm »
+4
Typically Monash will assume what you will have by the time you will start if you’re successful. So, if you apply by September 2020 for the March 2021 start intake, then you’ll have already had a year (or 48 credit points) under your belt. As long as you clear the 60% mark, you should be good to go.
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread

JR_StudyEd

• MOTM: MAY 19
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Mental health is #1
  • Respect: +171
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2020, 06:49:51 pm »
Are there any other alternative pathways?
Listens to K-Pop (Twice, Red Velvet, MAMAMOO) and Christmas music all year round.

Geoo

• MOTM: DEC 19
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • Class of 2020
  • Respect: +685
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2020, 07:31:21 pm »
+3
Are there any other alternative pathways?
I'm not an expert like AngelWings, so take my advice with a grain of salt.

As stated above, that is one of the better ways to get into monash considering your circumstances.

However, what you could do if you still wanted to study psychology or sociology is to take the diploma of ARTS at monash:
https://www.monash.edu/study/courses/find-a-course/2020/arts-2618?domestic=true#entry-requirements-2

Or, you could take some time off, come back to uni as a mature aged student (21 and over) (I have know quite a few that have done this), and enter monash's art degree via there MAP program:
https://www.monash.edu/study/why-choose-monash/study-options/mature-age/monash-access-program

These are the only other ways I know of, there may be a more specific pathway be getting a tafe certificate or something but i'm not very in the know on that.
I personally think the first option of sticking around at your current uni for a year, then transfer into monash next year.
Good luck.
2020: VCE 93.2
2022: BSci/Arts (Chemistry/Pharmacology and French)@Monash