Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 12:57:03 pm

Author Topic: How did you study content heavy subjects  (Read 2322 times)

Delis101

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
How did you study content heavy subjects
« on: February 20, 2020, 07:27:58 pm »
+1
Hello, to the people who achieved high atars, how did you guys study content-heavy subjects like biology, psychology or physics. What is the best way you found to study these subjects that worked out for you? Also, how often did you study these subjects. Thanks

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
Re: How did you study content heavy subjects
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2020, 08:40:28 am »
+5
Hey,

I've left some advice in your other thread here. As well, to get more diversity of opinion you might want to look at some guides for approaching these subjects from other states; there are some differences in how content is taught & assessed in different states but for the most part the advice will be generally applicable to you. For example, VCE bio advice (in VCE 50 is the highest study score you can get and 40+ is top 9% of the state), VCE psych advice, VCE physics advice, HSC biology advice (in HSC band 6 is the top "band" you can get), HSC physics advice.

Usually physics is considered more of an application subject (like maths) than a content subject but nonetheless for all of these I recommend:
- seeking out connections between topics
- focusing on understanding and applying rather than brute force memorising
- when you get a formula, make sure you understand it, the situations in which it's applicable, its units, and are able to rearrange it
- make sure you also understand scientific methodology and what you need to know for that in the subject
- use diagrams in your study/notes rather than just words
- use the syllabus to guide your study
- use QCAA's sample assessments
- make sure you take care of your health and wellbeing to reduce your chances of burn out & make it easier for you to learn, remember, and apply

I hope this helps :)