Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 02:03:29 am

Author Topic: Getting through Methods 3&4 without a tutor?  (Read 1111 times)  Share 

JR_StudyEd

• MOTM: MAY 19
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Mental health is #1
  • Respect: +171
Getting through Methods 3&4 without a tutor?
« on: July 15, 2019, 10:45:43 am »
+3
Hi guys,
Funny enough, there is a thread on this board about the exact same topic, but the last post in that thread was in 2014 and having had a read through it, some of the information in that thread is no longer applicable, so I thought I would make a new updated version.

Anyway, I've been considering this since the start of this year. Getting through 3&4 Methods without private, formal tutoring doesn't seem to be so difficult, right? Well, I guess if you are more easily self-motivated about this subject, then yes, I suppose you could. But I am one who finds it difficult to get myself to start doing anything related to this subject. I always try and avoid it due to the pain and suffering it has heaped upon me. I want to change my mindset towards Maths, however I just keep getting more frustrated and angry that I can't understand most of what is being taught.

I need self-discipline. But I can't do it on my own anymore. I've tried free online options. I've tried speaking to my teacher, but I do not receive helpful advice. I've tried speaking to peers, and even they have admitted that they are unable to assist me. Tutoring is the last option, but I feel it has to be seriously considered right now. ATARNotes is an absolutely fantastic community, but it can only really help you with specific questions.

I know that at the end of the day, I will be the one sitting the exam. Having a tutor doesn't mean that I can now have an excuse to procrastinate on Methods even more than I already am. Tutoring doesn't do the work for me. But as I've said, I feel that I need it because I don't think I have the discipline, drive and determination to continue suffering alone in this subject. I need personalised, real-life, comprehensive support.

It's not just the odd question I have problems with. A lot of my maths issues likely stem from poor teaching methods in earlier years (which I unfortunately can't do anything about), which has manifested itself this year in the form of maths anxiety and maths trauma. Ok, sure, life is hard and painful, but surely it makes no sense that I am experiencing so much pain at the hands of one subject?

Then, there's the money issue. Why pay when there's online resources for literally zero cost? Again, it comes back to my concern of suffering alone. I cannot bear to suffer any longer. Tutoring won't remove my pain, but I suppose it can remedy my maths anxiety and help to rectify fundamental problems in my ability that I otherwise wouldn't be able to solve myself.

I sincerely thank those who took time out of their day to read my message.

Listens to K-Pop (Twice, Red Velvet, MAMAMOO) and Christmas music all year round.

SmellsLikeTeenSpirit

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
Re: Getting through Methods 3&4 without a tutor?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2019, 09:59:55 am »
Hi JR,

Yes, you can do it without a tutor if you commit yourself:
1) The textbook itself is pretty good.
2) All the past tests from 2006 onwards can be freely downloaded from VCAA website (and their solutions as well), so you can practise to your heart's content. Mind you, for multiple choices the detailed solutions are not given in some cases, and you may find that for some really tough problems the provided solutions are not so helpful.
3) Cambridge Checkpoints contain detailed solutions of some tough problems, and are generally worth the money.
4) Given the costs of tutoring (at least $50 per hour), it may be more cost effective to look at some on-line guides

Mod edit: Removed advertising
« Last Edit: July 20, 2019, 10:53:35 pm by Bri MT »