Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 18, 2024, 12:24:34 pm

Author Topic: {SAC RANKINGS} -All you need to know about it-  (Read 171831 times)  Share 

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
Re: {SAC RANKINGS} -All you need to know about it-
« Reply #150 on: September 10, 2018, 12:12:35 pm »
As VCE is a normal distribution with a mean of 30 and standard deviation of 7. If the class size is too small(small sample size) will VCAA care about SAC ?marks?

Yeah, SACs still count. Sometimes ultra-small cohorts get combined together (eg. if you go to a rural school and only have one classmate your cohort could be your class + the class of another school).

Eg. there were only 5 of us in my physics class but our SACs still mattered.

Arthurmorgan

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #151 on: January 30, 2019, 05:53:50 pm »
Uhh, I'm currently crapping myself.

Our further maths teacher walked in today on the first day and gave us a test out of the blue.... No opportunity to ask any questions, just a test.
He said it's going to our ranks but also made us mark it ourselves so I am really confused, I scored 38/45, was aiming for a 40+ but don't know if that is possible anymore?
« Last Edit: January 30, 2019, 05:55:44 pm by Arthurmorgan »

Lear

• MOTM: JUL 18
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +328
« Reply #152 on: January 30, 2019, 05:55:28 pm »
That’s unacceptable behaviour by your teacher. This is not how you run assessments. I’d be reporting that to my school ASAP.
2018: ATAR: 99.35
Subjects
English: 44
Methods: 43
Further Maths: 50
Chemistry: 46
Legal: 40
2019: Bachelor of Medical Science and Doctor of Medicine @ Monash

Jimmmy

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +154
« Reply #153 on: January 30, 2019, 06:00:24 pm »
Uhh, I'm currently crapping myself.

Our further maths teacher walked in today on the first day and gave us a test out of the blue.... No opportunity to ask any questions, just a test.
He said it's going to our ranks but also made us mark it ourselves so I am really confused, I scored 38/45, was aiming for a 40+ but don't know if that is possible anymore?
That's almost the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. If that's true, the teacher should really go under some sort of investigation.
2018 - 2019 (VCE): English Language, Maths Methods, Legal Studies, Global Politics, Business Management (2018), Philosophy
2020 - 2024: Bachelor of Laws (Honours)/Bachelor of Commerce @ Monash University

Arthurmorgan

• Trailblazer
« Reply #154 on: January 30, 2019, 06:04:32 pm »
That's almost the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. If that's true, the teacher should really go under some sort of investigation.

At first I was under the belief that he was joking, but then he continued to say it during the test and also reaffirmed it when I asked at the end.

Lear

• Part of the furniture
« Reply #155 on: January 30, 2019, 06:06:31 pm »
I am pretty sure schools have to give at least 2 weeks notice prior to any assessments that will count towards a student’s VCE.
I can’t quite find where in the VCAA guidelines it says this (nor have I looked too deeply) but am sure there is something like that.
Perhaps someone like @Aaron can provide some insight.
Subjects

Arthurmorgan

• Trailblazer
« Reply #156 on: January 30, 2019, 06:37:04 pm »
I am pretty sure schools have to give at least 2 weeks notice prior to any assessments that will count towards a student’s VCE.
I can’t quite find where in the VCAA guidelines it says this (nor have I looked too deeply) but am sure there is something like that.
I honestly hope so, Further Maths was literally the first thing I did during the holidays and had basically forgotten most of the content, had to recall how to do everything during the test.

Lear

• Part of the furniture
« Reply #157 on: January 30, 2019, 07:00:20 pm »
I honestly hope so, Further Maths was literally the first thing I did during the holidays and had basically forgotten most of the content, had to recall how to do everything during the test.

You can email VCAA  directly and see if they can provide you some information.
Subjects

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +1536
« Reply #158 on: January 30, 2019, 07:59:50 pm »
+2
Quote from: Lear
Perks of Tapatalk, instant notification when a mention/quote is made.

Anyway - the standard is usually a week's notice at the absolute minimum.

Realistically as long as all students in the class/cohort have been given the same opportunities to access/complete the work - the timing actually isn't the most important consideration. As long as the school meets VCAA deadlines, that in combination with equal access are the key considerations for SACs/internal assessment. I would direct concerns to your school VCE coordinator / sub school leader as timing of notifications, internal redemption processes and anything of this nature is usually set by policy at the school level.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2019, 08:05:00 pm by Aaron »
Experience in teaching at both secondary and tertiary levels.

website // new forum profile

Arthurmorgan

• Trailblazer
« Reply #159 on: January 30, 2019, 09:07:39 pm »
Perks of Tapatalk, instant notification when a mention/quote is made.

Anyway - the standard is usually a week's notice at the absolute minimum.

Realistically as long as all students in the class/cohort have been given the same opportunities to access/complete the work - the timing actually isn't the most important consideration. As long as the school meets VCAA deadlines, that in combination with equal access are the key considerations for SACs/internal assessment. I would direct concerns to your school VCE coordinator / sub school leader as timing of notifications, internal redemption processes and anything of this nature is usually set by policy at the school level.

How does this work if there are multiple classes doing Further? My class was the first class to have it today (four classes) and by now everyone has had ample time to revise for it. Surely it can't be fair? I also found it ridiculous that we marked it ourselves where it is open to manipulation.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2019, 09:10:00 pm by Arthurmorgan »

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +1536
« Reply #160 on: January 30, 2019, 09:19:03 pm »
+1
There is also a chance your teacher was just saying that as a joke or trying to encourage you to switch on... if it's not a formal SAC that is consistent across all further classes where you're given notice etc, then it cannot count towards rankings etc. It could very well have just been a misinterpretation on your part.

In terms of multiple classes like part of your post asks, SACs need to be the exact same (unless an alternative assessment e.g. redemption task) and have to be delivered within a reasonable time of each other (a few days at most). It is near impossible to hold them at the same time due to timetabling constraints without requesting students to complete it outside of class time (e.g after school) - which imo contributes to inequity if anything due to the vast array of commitments students have outside of school hrs.

I also think that given you were allowed to mark it yourself, this definitely isn't contributing to your ranking. Your teacher & school would not risk that.

Seek clarity and like I said, speak to a coordinator (VCE/subschool) to really understand what's going on here. Unfortunately I have no further context to go off so my responses are general on purpose. People on AN aren't going to be able to provide you with the response you need as they aren't part of your school and I would definitely encourage you to speak to your school.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2019, 09:28:32 pm by Aaron »
Experience in teaching at both secondary and tertiary levels.

website // new forum profile

SAR0016

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #161 on: February 12, 2019, 05:10:06 pm »
Hypothetically speaking if I were to be averaging 80% in my sacs for Accounting and i am ranked 1 for both units in my cohort, is it possible to obtain 50 ss given that I ace exam.

Thanks in advance

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
« Reply #162 on: February 12, 2019, 05:13:47 pm »
+2
Hypothetically speaking if I were to be averaging 80% in my sacs for Accounting and i am ranked 1 for both units in my cohort, is it possible to obtain 50 ss given that I ace exam.

Thanks in advance
Yes, as the post suggests ranking is what matters not your raw sac scores.

Tadd12345

• Forum Regular
  • ASPIRINGDOC
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #163 on: February 12, 2019, 05:15:57 pm »

Thanks in advance
Yes.
Remember, your sac averages do not matter. Only your ranking does.
If you're rank 1, then nothing will stop you from getting 50 given you ace the exam
Biology (36)
Mathematical Methods (34)
Physics (24)
Chemistry (31)
English (37)
Further Mathematics
(40)
ATAR: 89.55

Ansaki

• Adventurer
  • With hardship come ease.
« Reply #164 on: April 02, 2019, 06:19:52 pm »
Hey wonderful people on AtarNotes!
so i think i went like decent, not to bad on my first two English sacs (that were unit 3 outcome 1, analysing a selected text and creative piece), i wanted to know if i could get like a high ranking if i do well on my next 3 sacs throughout the year, can i still get a 35+ (or 40ish dream come true), i go to a school which has like a 25 or 27 average study score even if i dont rank 1 can i still achieve these scores?
thanks!