Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 05:54:23 am

Author Topic: Math methods units 1&2  (Read 1221 times)  Share 

Rose34

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +2
Math methods units 1&2
« on: February 27, 2020, 09:43:04 pm »
Solve for the following inequality with graphing
6x^2+ 13x <−6

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
  • Respect: +3102
Re: Math methods units 1&2
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2020, 11:43:51 am »
+2
Hey,
What specifically are you stuck on? Us just giving you the answer won't really help to improve your understanding but if you post your working out or the thought process you've gone through attempting to answer this yourself then we'll be able to see what part is causing you trouble so that you can work it out yourself the next time you come across a question like this.
2019: B. Environment and Sustainability/B. Science @ ANU
2020: Just Vibing
2021: B. Paramedicine/B. Nursing @ ACU Canberra

Rose34

• Trendsetter
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2020, 04:02:33 pm »
+5
Hey,
What specifically are you stuck on? Us just giving you the answer won't really help to improve your understanding but if you post your working out or the thought process you've gone through attempting to answer this yourself then we'll be able to see what part is causing you trouble so that you can work it out yourself the next time you come across a question like this.

I apologize for not doing that, I am new to this website so I did not really know how it works.

To be honest I know how to find the values for x, but what I do not understand is that how are we supposed to write the inequality for example, is it supposed to be -3/2<x or -3/2>x. That is what is confusing me when are we supposed to switch the sign?. 

I hope that makes sense now

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2020, 04:04:45 pm »
+1
I apologize for not doing that, I am new to this website so I did not really know how it works.

To be honest I know how to find the values for x, but what I do not understand is that how are we supposed to write the inequality for example, is it supposed to be -3/2<x or -3/2>x. That is what is confusing me when are we supposed to switch the sign?. 

I hope that makes sense now
With quadratics, I think the best way is to graph it out and just work it out from there. It can get confusing changing inequalities when you have negatives/square rooting both sides etc

BiggestVCESweat

« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2020, 11:15:18 am »
With quadratics, I think the best way is to graph it out and just work it out from there. It can get confusing changing inequalities when you have negatives/square rooting both sides etc
Nah, I find that takes too long and uses too much space.
Personally I would just solve for x and know that since it is a positive quadratic the values in between the x-intercepts will be under 0.

Rose34

• Trendsetter
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2020, 07:51:08 am »
Thank you all for the help!

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2020, 09:00:47 am »
+1
Nah, I find that takes too long and uses too much space.
Personally I would just solve for x and know that since it is a positive quadratic the values in between the x-intercepts will be under 0.

Since it's not always that region depending on the quadratic (as you've identified) and the inequality often students get confused doing it in their heads. If that works for you,  great! Do whatever works best for you, but I find that a rough/quick sketch (not making a full proper graph) doesn't take long & is the safe way to go for most students.