Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 04:52:38 pm

Author Topic: Alternative Sequence  (Read 4670 times)

cooldude06

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Alternative Sequence
« on: September 15, 2021, 08:51:07 pm »
At my school I do legal studies on alternate sequence.

Up to this point I have been told by my teacher that the external exam will be on Unit 3 - Law, Governance and Change of the Legal Studies2019 v1.1 general syllabus but I've read conflicting statements by the QCAA that the exam will be on Unit 2. Almost all other subjects just reverse the unit order - instead of 1, 2, 3, 4 it will be 3, 4, 1, 2. But according to what I've completed so far I've done 1, 4, 2, 3

So far I have completed the following assessment in grade 12:

IA1 (The Exam) - Unit 2 : Balance of Probabilities (it has been confirmed)
IA2 (Inquiry Report) - Unit 2 : Balance of Probabilities
IA3 (Argumentative Essay) - Unit 3 : Governance, Law and Change

I have attempted to approach my teacher many times but they are always unclear. I would just like some reassurance that the EA is on Unit 3 of the general syllabus for alternate sequence before I waste my time studying the wrong stuff.

Thanks

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
Re: Alternative Sequence
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2021, 10:34:29 am »
+3
Hi!

Welcome to the forums :D

It looks like where the confusion is coming from here is this:

I suspect this is what you looked at?

In the same document (External Assesment Guide from myQCE) you can also see:

You can learn about Senior External Examination subjects at the link, but some key points to be aware of are that:
> For SEE 100% of your mark comes from the exam
> SEE legal studies (exams 1& 2 are) on 5th November, like normal legal studies.

From what you have described, it definitely sounds like you would be taking the Legal Studies (Alternative Sequence) exam on unit 2. I know you've found their statements confusing and ambiguous but please confirm with them whether you are sitting the the Legal Studies (Alternative Sequence) exam or the Legal Studies SEE exam. It might be that they have a great explanation which clears up the apparent discrepancy.

My suggestions for getting a more clear answer from your teacher:
> share with them the relevant QCAA document excerpts (preferably with a link and page number so they can easily look it up themself)
> have a specific and clear question using the same language as QCAA
> make sure you try to remain level and calm. Obviously this is stressful and important to you, but staying calm will help with a clear and conducive conversation. Focusing on asking for help with your confusion may help.
> consider asking over email so it's written down and they can take time to compose a clear answer with the exact information with information at hand. This will mean you get a less immediate answer, but you can "bump" (ask them if they've had a chance to look at your email yet / remind them) in person or over other formats, if it's been working/school days without reply.

Getting clarification from your teacher is important both for your confidence and for your class

I hope this helps & best of luck :)

Edit:
I've deleted the post in the legal studies q&a which was identical to this as per forum rules. It's a common mistake from new users (and certainly nothing to stress over) but we prefer only one copy of each post on the forums.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2021, 10:36:44 am by Bri MT »

cooldude06

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Re: Alternative Sequence
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2021, 06:52:43 pm »
+2
Hi,

Thanks for taking the time to reply  :)

I am sure that I am not sitting the SEE exam just the usual AS exam. I will try and re-approach my teacher about my concerns with the relevant QCAA information. I have also sent an email to the QCAA inquiring about the issue.

Thanks again for taking the time. I hope this can get resolved quickly so I can get revising!  :D